BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tie down my LT in a Budget rental truck, and move my daughter 700 miles, all interstate hwy. I believe the truck has rings on the walls, not the floor, so that is my dillemma, how to secure it to the walls, not the floor? There will also be a lot of furniture, etc in the truck, but the bike is the most important issue. Any ideas? The truck has a 16' box and a ramp, and I'm not sure of the spacing of the rings, won't know until I get there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
bmrbob said:
I need to tie down my LT in a Budget rental truck, and move my daughter 700 miles, all interstate hwy. I believe the truck has rings on the walls, not the floor, so that is my dillemma, how to secure it to the walls, not the floor? There will also be a lot of furniture, etc in the truck, but the bike is the most important issue. Any ideas? The truck has a 16' box and a ramp, and I'm not sure of the spacing of the rings, won't know until I get there.
Couple of thots...

Is the truck big enuf to handle all that furniture AND the bike? Folks collect a lot of "stuff". 16 feets sounds like a small van and yet you say that there will be a lot of furniture...

Also.. don't trust wall rings... Thin plywood is used in these boxes. Haven't seen one yet that was all steel and I've removed a couple of rings in my day...

Rent / Borrow / Purloin a bike trailer. No matter how much stuff there is in the box, the bike has it's very own spot. And it's very own spot will have quality tie-downs... Provided the 16 feets box has a trailer hitch on it. Better on a trailer then inadvertently occupying a space normally reserved for frozen streaks in the event you have to jump on the binders. LT's don't fit to well in double door Whirlpool...

my $.02...

just sayin...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I read about doing this on another board.

They suggested using a harbor freight wheel chock either bolted to a piece of plywood or some 2x4s.

Also tie the bike using the existing tie downs in te uhaul. Maybe wedge in a mattress on both sides of the bike for good measure...

Most importantly do not tell the uhaul guys your plans. I heard they will not rent a uhaul for this purpose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe I would be more concerned about getting the LT off of the truck. I don't think there is enough room to turn the LT around inside the truck bed, so the only option is to back it down the ramp. Whew! I couldn't do that without some strong arms on both sides of the bike. If you don't have that covered, use the trailer behind the truck as suggested above.

Jonny Oliver

2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT

Concord, NC

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've moved a few times using those type of trucks...I would never, ever trust those skinny walls to hold up my baby. If it were me I would tow a trailer...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I hauled my LT back from Grand Junction in the back of a 16' box truck. I rode it in after I parked in the ditch and pulled out the ramp. I put it in the center up front against the wall. I tied it off at 6 spots, 2 forward, 2 side and 2 rear. It rode fine all the way home. When I got home I parked in the ditch and backed my truck up to the box van and backed my bike off into it. Pulled the truck up to a ramp and rode it off............. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Get your own "D" rings and screw them in where you want. The ply on the walls have to be attached somewhere.....find that location and put in your rings. Front wheel chalk would be essential. Not so sure I'd want the bike in front of furniture that could come forward on hard braking. The down side to being in the rear is driving over bumps. Remember what it was like with school buses. You always wanted to sit in the back for going over bumps.

I agree....getting it on and off might be the most challenging part.

Or....you could borrow someone elses bike that didn't matter...maybe a Har...... OOOPS....I didn't mean that! :D

Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I did a my move from Indianapolis to Phoenix 10 years ago with my then 99LT and a
R1100 S, both I strapped to the tie positions on the side of the truck. Then I did the same a couple years later, when I moved my daughter to College in Colorado from Phoenix with only the 99LT. Both times the tie downs were secure, no issues whatsoever. As to turning it around, what I did was to have 2-friends help me back the LT into the truck, so on the other end, when I would not have benefit of the assistance, I could ride it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts