BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend who is going to trailer a GT2007. Where should he attach his tie down straps on the bike?

Thanks
Jim

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I've towed my GT a few times now. Not on purpose, mind you, but still . . .

The forks are very solid up front. Get some Soft Ties to wrap around the forks up high. The Soft Ties will help keep the straps away from the fairing. Do watch for brake lines, obviously. Cinch them down snug, but don't over-tighten. Remember, the DuoLever fork won't compress like a normal telescopic fork will.

On the rear, you can use the passenger foot peg brackets which are very solid. You can also use ties to the passenger grab handles which are up higher, but the foot peg brackets are stronger.

Obviously, a wheel chock helps tremendously, as it keeps the front wheel (and thus the bike) from moving forward, backward, or especially sideways.

More than once I've had to rent a U-Haul truck to get the broken bike home (damn final drives). In one case the truck had a wooden floor so I bought some cheap 2x4's and a hammer from the local hardware store and nailed them in place to keep the tires from moving anywhere. Two long ones alongside both tires, and one short one on top of those in front of the front tire and another short one behind the rear tire. Another truck had an aluminum floor, so I had the 2x4's cut to match the length and width of the truck bed and nailed them to each other in place. That was for a long trip out of some twisty mountain roads but it worked very well.

Obviously you want to pull the straps down as low as possible, but sometimes you gotta work with the truck/trailer that you have. :)

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
If you look in the owners manual, it spells it out letter for letter.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've towed 20 or so GT's & have always tied them down just as described by Mr Meese. Just above the front fender there is a cross bar, tie the front down there. The rear can be done at the rear pegs or just above the front pegs you have access to the frame. ALWAYS use SOFT TIES as not to damage anything.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Do you (posters above) keep Soft Ties with you at all times? If so, how many? I doubt they are bulky, but where do you store them?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Do you (posters above) keep Soft Ties with you at all times? If so, how many? I doubt they are bulky, but where do you store them?
I keep about 10 at all times & I get them at Walmart. Now take into consideration that Motorcycle Towing is what I do for a living. I keep 4 on the LT in the top case just incase I need them.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Do you (posters above) keep Soft Ties with you at all times?
I do, but then again I'm often a special case. :) In fact, after my second final drive failure, I started carrying ratchet straps as well, along with a list of towing company and U-Haul phone numbers . . . :(

Four soft ties will cover a bike easily. I keep them in the left saddlebag with my other tools, but you should be able to tuck them under the seat.

And never tie down from the handlebars, even if using a Canyon Dancer or similar harness. Those are fine for sport bikes with short, stiff handlebars, but not good for most BMWs. :bmw:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I carry 4 soft ties & 2 ratchet straps. Last week I got my LT buried in soft soil after a heavy rain in Conroe Tx. With the soft ties wrapped around the forks at the caliper bosses three of us picked the front of the bike up & we swung the front over to a side walk. I then hooked up the ratchet straps to the soft ties & a riding lawn mower. It took an hour but we got it out.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
saddleman said:
Last week I got my LT buried in soft soil after a heavy rain in Conroe Tx.
Yeah, I've never done anything that dumb before . . . :rolleyes:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
If you do decide to carry soft ties & ratchet straps you should spend some time figuring out where to use them on the bike before you actually have to use them. Pay attention to the ABS wire & brake lines. Make sure you can put your soft ties on in the dark with out having to think of where the best place is to put them.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
saddleman said:
I carry 4 soft ties & 2 ratchet straps. Last week I got my LT buried in soft soil after a heavy rain in Conroe Tx. With the soft ties wrapped around the forks at the caliper bosses three of us picked the front of the bike up & we swung the front over to a side walk. I then hooked up the ratchet straps to the soft ties & a riding lawn mower. It took an hour but we got it out.

An LT being towed by a LAWN MOWER????? Now THAT is funny!!!!!!!!! Gosh, I hope you got a pic of that!! IF so, PLEASE post it! :histerica

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
An LT being towed by a LAWN MOWER????? Now THAT is funny!!!!!!!!! Gosh, I hope you got a pic of that!! IF so, PLEASE post it! :histerica
Sorry Jack no pictures. To much to do at the time to think about taking pics. I do wish I had some pics of the beast buried though. :stupid:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts