BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just read a thread where a guy had not cranked his bike for 8 months, had no charger attached during that time and the bike would not start, of course.

Now, advice given him was to "reset" by turning the throttle 2 times before attempting to start again (after charging the battery). What is this? Something I might need to know about or a joke I missed? Will be replacing my battery soon, so bike will be temporarily without any power to any circuits, etc. Dealer has told me there is no big deal with disconnecting the old battery, leaving the bike totally without power while the change out is being made. I asked about that because I had heard that on some bikes, the electrical compoments "remembered" certain things from feedback it had "learned" while the bike was in use.

Thanks for any new knowledge anyone has for me.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
bmwrubbercow said:
Now, advice given him was to "reset" by turning the throttle 2 times before attempting to start again (after charging the battery). What is this? Something I might need to know about or a joke I missed?
Hi Tom, no, not a joke - if you disconnect the battery, you should wind the throttle fully open twice with the ignition on (but engine off). This resets the ECU, if you do not do it, although the ECU will 'learn' the max throttle posn. over time, the bike can be a bit sluggish till then.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woolly said:
Hi Tom, no, not a joke - if you disconnect the battery, you should wind the throttle fully open twice with the ignition on (but engine off). This resets the ECU, if you do not do it, although the ECU will 'learn' the max throttle posn. over time, the bike can be a bit sluggish till then.
Wow, advice all the way from merry old England this early (at least here anyway)in the morning, Ain't modern life great!!

Thanks, Woolly!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
bmwrubbercow said:
Wow, advice all the way from merry old England this early (at least here anyway)in the morning, Ain't modern life great!!

Thanks, Woolly!
Actually, middle of the afternoon - just off down to thevillage pub for a pint or two (!!!) of (warm) beer :thumb::beer:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Shadup yous,

One of my favorite memories. Traveling with my family, finally landing in London, renting a car and heading out.

First stop - a pub for some after travel grub. Man, ain't much that's ever tasted better.

Hey, have a cider for me, k?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woolly said:
Actually, middle of the afternoon - just off down to thevillage pub for a pint or two (!!!) of (warm) beer :thumb::beer:
Well I perfer my beer cold, but have been known to drink it otherwise when the ice ran out!

As an aside, my dad was stationed in Scotland during early WWII, flying B-17's to Germany. When I was just a boy he told me of going to the pub in the wintertime in Scotland, where they learned from the locals to take a fire poker from the fireplace, heat it in the fire, then stick the end of it into the beer mug--instant heat for the beer! Of course back then the fire was the only heat in the place. Have always wanted to try that............

Nice talking to you Woolly :beer:

Tom McIntyre

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Had similar issues mid summer. Was only getting 35/38 mpg no matter how i rode the bike & mileage loss was after doing my 24K service during the winter.
** had disconnected the battery & when done doing the service, hooked it back up & went riding ....

WRONG thing to do !!! .... Bike ran fine, but was a tad rich by looking at the pipe outlet.

.... Went back a few months ago, pulled the fuse for the motronic unit and left it alone for @ 2 hours. Then plug fuse back in (Same as disconnecting battery) and switched on ignition, but DID NOT start ... rolled throttle from idle to full @ 3 times to give the motronic unit throttle end points & reset the calibration.

Sense doing that my mileage has been NO LOWER than 43 and has averaged @ 48 !!

:bmw: that just maybe your trouble too ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
motorhead said:
.... Went back a few months ago, pulled the fuse for the motronic unit and left it alone for @ 2 hours.
I suppose I could go look it up, but since you're here... which fuse is for the moronic? (on a 2001)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
midwilshire said:
I suppose I could go look it up, but since you're here... which fuse is for the moronic? (on a 2001)
Hi, Michael - you've prolly already looked it up, butt since I'm here ;) , I'll tell ya. Far right side fuse block (bike brake side), it's the bottom one of the four fuses. Just pop the cover, pull the fuse (a 15amp one), wait a bit and then back it goes. Then do the throttle dance and you're good to go.

I will say, that's how the '99 bikes are set up and the manual reads that way - if it changed for the '01 year, you'll be told by someone here, I'm sure. HTH.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Woolly said:
Still using those darned Lucas Electric refrigerators, eh? :rotf:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Don't knock Lucas - Prince of Darkness :) It' finally got to that time of year when I need to swap out the fridge in the top box with the microwave ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts