BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the cables on the 05 supposed to not require lubing? Mine seems to not fully return to 1K rpm idle without a little help. Has anyone tried to lube them or is this a bad idea? ---------------Rethy

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
sounds like a problem.. there is an adjustment for the "tension" / "freeplay/slack" on the cable.

I did lube my cables ... but not with WD-40... with LPS1. Huge difference... but make sure you KNOW what you're doing when lubing or adjusting...

You might also have a bind in the grip... etc... so, gotta know, ya know?

·
Registered
805 Posts
BMW recommends NOT lubing the cables. You have an '05, so you have the updated and improved cables, no reason that they should be sticking or needing to be lubricated. As Channing said, it's probably an adjustment issue. But if someone has been working on the bike recently, it may be that the cables were not routed correctly, or that a cable tie was put in the wrong place, which can cause binding. The cable(s) may be frayed, but that would be very unusual. I'd start with the adjustment check and move from there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies

No one has worked on the bike other than myself so must be an adjustment issue. Perhaps too much slack. I wanted to make sure I was not supposed to be lubing them. thanks again-----------Rethy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please can someone explain how the "Adjustment" is carried out as my own LT sometimes seems reluctant to return to a steady 1000 rpm tickover unless the Twistgrip is closed really hard against the "Stop". This has the effect of the Bike wanting to continue at a healthy pace even on a supposedly closed throttle.
Thanks
Mike Tee

·
Registered
805 Posts
glo said:
Please can someone explain how the "Adjustment" is carried out as my own LT sometimes seems reluctant to return to a steady 1000 rpm tickover unless the Twistgrip is closed really hard against the "Stop". This has the effect of the Bike wanting to continue at a healthy pace even on a supposedly closed throttle.
Thanks
Mike Tee
Hi Mike. My suggestion would be to first read this entire thread in the HoW: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=150451&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7 It will give you some idea of the complex interaction between the Opening cable, the Closing cable, the Cruise Control control system, etc. It also identifies procedures for adjusting the cables at the throttle grip. It would be good to know if you have the pre-'05 cables or the upgrade (this would be a great opportunity to fill out your profile). You may want to start a new thread and post more info about your bike to get responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts