BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does or has anyone had a problem with throttle grip coming loose and unthreading itself off. It has a grip warmer which act as threads. I have to screw it back on regularly. I've tried contact cement as well as rtv. Nothing holds so far. Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
No that's an odd one. The rubber grip is usually a tight fit and to replace them takes a little care so as not to damage the heater element. It sounds to me that your grip is over sized and needs to be replaced. I would actually go so far as to say that your situation was dangerous. I replaced mine not long after getting my bike because old ones were worn. The new ones are open ended and do come with a clip in cap but I decided to use these nice carbon bar ends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those 18-rib grips used to be super cheap from BMW. $13 IIRC for the longest time but a few years ago they jumped up. Still not that far off ($30) from what I see for the Ariete ones. Are the Ariete ones the same hardness?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to thank all for these replys. I need to find a heater element for the throttle side and then replace with new grip. I totally agree that twisting it back on has damaged element. Left side still works fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you need the heated part and the rubber part, I can't see why you wouldn't just buy them as one new part, so you don't have to worry about your gluing any more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like 61 31 7 710 442 ($160) for standard and 61 31 7 680 536 ($200) for chrome. Those are complete heated throttle tubes with grips.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That's what I want to do. Anyone happen to know heater part number?
Looks like 61 31 7 710 442 ($160) for standard and 61 31 7 680 536 ($200) for chrome. Those are complete heated throttle tubes with grips.
In addition to what ANTON has posted above, you need to verify if your current left side has the black ribbed pattern or the "less deep" horizontal pattern type (both black).

To summarize for heated grips RIGHT side of K1200LT 1999-2004:
1) if black rubber with vertical ribbed patterns (see photo 1) - BMW part number: 61 31 7 710 442
2) if black rubber with horizontal patterns - BMW part number: 32 72 2 335 714
3) if CHROME version - BMW part number: 61 31 7 680 536

·
Registered
584 Posts
The method I used for replacing my grips works really well. To remove the old grip if it is tight I used a scalpel, it has to be super sharp. Don't try to cut all the way through so you don't cut through the element beneath. Use shallow progressive cuts until you are almost through the rubber and then just tear it apart from there.
Putting the new grips on I uses a little undiluted dish detergent. Just smear a little inside the grip and then using compressed air place the nozzle of the air gun so it is at the point between the rubber and the handle bar. While gently applying some air pressure between the rubber and the bar push the grip on while moving the nozzle around the circumference of the bar.
The air slightly increases the diameter of the rubber grip and acts as a cushion between the rubber and the bar. It will allow it to slide on easier without the need to over stress the assembly.
The detergent dries up pretty quickly and doesn't damage anything.

It is possible that whoever put your grip on may have used some kind of oil as a lube and it may have attacked the rubber over time making it loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll bet anything your right about previous owner install method. That just makes sense. Anyways I've got to get this done and your tips will help alot. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I want to thank all for these replys. I need to find a heater element for the throttle side and then replace with new grip. I totally agree that twisting it back on has damaged element. Left side still works fine.
From a friend who sold his K1200LT, I got a brand new Right side Heated-grip assy for a K1200LT. The BMW part number on the box matches the part fiche ("61 31 7 710 442") and physically the grip (and wire) appear to match one that would fit a K1200LT.

HOWEVER, the inside DIAMETER of the plastic tube appear suspect to me - normally most BMW heated grip tube of the same era are 22.1 to 22.3 mm (like my K1200RS). This one is 23.5 mm inside diameter on the throttle side ?? To help confirm that what I have is correct for a K1200LT, after you remove the right side grip assy, could you do me a favor and measure the size of the metal tube under - thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
From a friend who sold his K1200LT, I got a brand new Right side Heated-grip assy for a K1200LT. The BMW part number on the box matches the part fiche ("61 31 7 710 442") and physically the grip (and wire) appear to match one that would fit a K1200LT.

HOWEVER, the inside DIAMETER of the plastic tube appear suspect to me - normally most BMW heated grip tube of the same era are 22.1 to 22.3 mm (like my K1200RS). This one is 23.5 mm inside diameter on the throttle side ?? To help confirm that what I have is correct for a K1200LT, after you remove the right side grip assy, could you do me a favor and measure the size of the metal tube under - thanks!

View attachment 171576
Hello Sailor
I just went down stairs and removed the bar end on the throttle side. I measured the inside diameter of the heater tube part of the grip with a vernier caliper and it measures in at 23.8 mm
The point 8 is probably just because there is a certain flexibility in the tube. The OD of the bar measures in at 22 mm exactly.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hello Sailor
I just went down stairs and removed the bar end on the throttle side. I measured the inside diameter of the heater tube part of the grip with a vernier caliper and it measures in at 23.8 mm
The point 8 is probably just because there is a certain flexibility in the tube. The OD of the bar measures in at 22 mm exactly.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your quick reply.
This seems to confirm the heated grip assy I have here is correct for a K1200LT - my rough measurement of inside diameter is close enought to yours.

However I am a bit suprised there is such gap between metal tube OUTSIDE diameter and the grip tube INSIDE diametere for the K1200LT. On my K1200RS (different bars setup) the tolerances / gap betwen these 2 items is less that 1 mm for a very similar heated grip assy - except the wire is not as long.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes there is a bit of wriggle room in the assembly. I measured the bar at two positions. I could only eyeball it on the end because the tips of the caliper didn't quite reach the end of the bar but just behind the throttle is a gap where it meets the plastic cover for the handle bar and I was able to get a good measurement on the actual bar at that point that agreed with what I was seeing on the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts