BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a recent owner of a 2005 K1200LT (dark graphite) and new to this forum. This is an excellent source of great information (I used the oil change 101 and it worked perfectly!)

I am experiencing some slight vibration through the throttle grip when I ride. Doesn't seem to matter at what rpm. The other grip has zero vibration. I know my rear tire is getting close to needing changing and it has some flat spots.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, cause and cure?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone????

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Does this happen at idle or only when the LT is rolling?
Could be the throttle cables are routed incorrectly or loose?
If it's only when rolling then it could be tires?

·
Registered
431 Posts
There is vibration through the bars. The engine is not absolutely silky smooth, though it sure seems so compared to the RT. Maybe you're getting more through the right grip because it isn't fixed as the left one is.

Kevin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

It's more noticeable when rolling but there is some vibration at idle. I'll see if the new tires make a difference in the spring.

Cheers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
highroamer said:
There is vibration through the bars. The engine is not absolutely silky smooth, though it sure seems so compared to the RT. Maybe you're getting more through the right grip because it isn't fixed as the left one is.

Kevin.
I don't have suggestions as to the cause of the vibration, but do find your statement interesting. I've just recently picked up a used 2005 LT (22,500 miles) and find the bike has more vibration, as compared to my previous 2001 LT which had 80,000+ miles on it when totaled.

I've not ridden enough LTs to know what is normal, but I would have described my 2001 as being "silky smooth" and I find the 2005 to have some noticable vibrations. Yes, less than RTs I've ridden but certainly not as smooth as I remember of my previous LT. A number of differences in the specs of the 2005, for now I'm assuming it is the nature of the engine and maybe this bike in general.

·
Registered
137 Posts
wsztmxz said:
I am a recent owner of a 2005 K1200LT (dark graphite) and new to this forum. This is an excellent source of great information (I used the oil change 101 and it worked perfectly!)

I am experiencing some slight vibration through the throttle grip when I ride. Doesn't seem to matter at what rpm. The other grip has zero vibration. I know my rear tire is getting close to needing changing and it has some flat spots.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, cause and cure?
wsztmxz said:
I had a vibration very similiar to your description some years back. It just so happened that I needed a valve clearence inspection and found 2 valves a bit out of tolerance.
After correcting the clearances, I found the vibration to be eliminated on my next ride.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It helps, thanks. I'll have it checked out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 02 never had any vibration in the bars then a few weeks before leaving on vacation a small vibration started. On the road the vibration increased with each passing day. The steel in the tire broke and the front tire went flat. A rental car, 300 miles to get new tire and a lost day of vacation now all vibration is gone again. Check thoes tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a new set of tires ready to be put on in the spring. I'll try that first and if the vibration continues, I'll get the valve clearances checked. Process of elimination.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts