BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 03 apart to put in new cables.
I have the left side air duct off and can't see how to get to the throttle ends on the fuel rail. Oh, yeh, I have size 13 hands!

Anyone have wisdom on this?

I noticed John R said he took the air box off..... some say to remove the fuel rail. HOW? To my feeble mind, it looks like I have to take a LOT of stuff apart to get to the fuel rail and then hope I can get it back together...

I like the idea of taking less off- less to remember how to put back.

I see that the cables have a Green and White tape on them. Significance?

suggestions appreciated!!!!

Also notice one of the vacuum lines is crimped some- where's that go. Important?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just did mine, only removed the left side fan shroud and lower throttle cable end switch plate. A pair of LONG hemostats and a flashlight made it fairly easy with no further dis-assembly required

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just finished mine @ 41K on 99' . The open cable (green sticker) Use a long screwdriver to hold the throttle full open and you wil see the gold end of the cable ,move the cable down and slighty left to un clip it from the mount plate. then use the afour mentioned pliers or hemestats to wiggle the end piece free. now the close cable (white sticker) I spent much time( more than the total work time ) trying to figure out the airbox removal , most poeple were like "just pop it off " I decieded to try another tact ,I removed the mounting plate that both cable go to , 2 phillips head screws, disconect a couple of vac. lin ( dont forget to put those bac on) pull the "e" clip replace the cable and spring re-clip reinsert the screws, DONE !! I went DUH after doing it .Hope all goes well. :dance:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just did mine and as you I found no way of doing it without removing fuel rail and airbox. In fact It is not that tough job. And while I had the fuel rail off I had the injectors checked by authorized Bosch service. Found out #2 injector being broken and had it replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No I removed NEITHEr the airbox or fuel rail just the vac. lines.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
That crimped vacuum line goes to the pulse valve (whatever that is). You need to uncrimp it however you see fit. That pulse valve needs to come off to give you a little wiggle room to work. As noted above the open cable has a green stripe. The toughest part for me was pulling the e-clip from the back side of the return cable. LONG hemostats are the trick. It can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts