BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on my bike. 2002 k1200lt. Got new ABS unit installed and brakes bleed. Thank for the help. Going to do brake cables while bike is naked. Been looking at all the posts and think I have grip end figured out. I have slot cut on bottom cover. Looking at bottom end at throttle bodies looks rough. I think I'm going to remove air box. Wondering if im going to need 2 new screw clamps to reinstall. Can I get these from auto parts store or do I need to get them from dealer. One problem I see is one clamp is turned and will be hard to loosen. If thought? Thanks Scott G

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Still working on my bike. 2002 k1200lt. Got new ABS unit installed and brakes bleed. Thank for the help. Going to do brake cables while bike is naked. Been looking at all the posts and think I have grip end figured out. I have slot cut on bottom cover. Looking at bottom end at throttle bodies looks rough. I think I'm going to remove air box. Wondering if im going to need 2 new screw clamps to reinstall. Can I get these from auto parts store or do I need to get them from dealer. One problem I see is one clamp is turned and will be hard to loosen. If thought? Thanks Scott G
Scott, those screw clamps are oriented so they don't interfere with the movement of the throttle butterfly assembles. Make note of where they are before you take them off and when you put them back on, make sure you have full throttle movement with no interference or it can jam your throttle.

I know when I last pulled my air box, there may have been two screw clamps on 3 & 4 and two of the crimp on type on 1 & 2 but I am not sure that is normal or if I am remembering correctly. I don't have a good enough picture to jog my memory. If they are all screw clamps on yours and not crimp, the PN on MAX BMW is 11 61 1 464 912 49mm SCREW clamp - $4.12

Whatever you do if you try and find a non dealer replacement, make sure it does not interfere with throttle operation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
there may have been two screw clamps on 3 & 4 and two of the crimp on type on 1 & 2 but I am not sure that is normal or if I am remembering correctly. PN on MAX BMW is 11 61 1 464 912 49mm SCREW clamp - $4.12

Whatever you do if you try and find a non dealer replacement, make sure it does not interfere with throttle operation.
Your memory is correct. 1 & 2 are crimp, that I will replace with OEM screw type clamps. I haven't put things back together yet, I have my throttle bodies assembly off right now for other stuff. (Crank Case Breather Spuge). Others have used the screw clamps, just have to be careful of placement, things are tight back in there.

I also replaced the Throttle Cables per the Service Bulletin for "Stiff Throttle". Hope she starts being a little more user friendlier on the wrist! Must say; the return springs on the TB is stiff "all on it's own".

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
This pdf file may help you a little. I did not remove the throttle bodies to replace the cables on my 2000LT. I did have a long pair of needle nose pliers to help me. I think I removed the cruise control micro switch or the entire bracket it attaches to. This made connecting the cable a breeze. If I was able to do it, anyone can!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I also replaced the Throttle Cables per the Service Bulletin for "Stiff Throttle". Hope she starts being a little more user friendlier on the wrist! Must say; the return springs on the TB is stiff "all on it's own".
I have a cramp buster/throttle rocker that helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 2000 had the upgraded throttle cables (noted your post says brake cables) installed by the previous owner, Riding more than 30 minutes caused discomfort in my wrist and up the arm. Not pain but not a good feeling and was partly due to the return springs and the angle of my wrist. I disconnected on of the throttle body return springs. It still snaps closed when released and it is a dual cable system so it fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I'm doing throttle cables sorry for typo. Thanks for all input. I'm getting on them tonight. If I leave switch at throttle unpluged will cc still operate? I have had problems with cc in the past and don't want to deal with getting adjustment right. Thanks Scott Golden

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
I have had problems with cc in the past and don't want to deal with getting adjustment right.
You should not have any problems if you need to adjust the cc switch. Attached is a little write up I did after getting help from a former forum member.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Anyone riding around in a 2002 LT better inspect their throttle cables
or just get them replaced with the updated sets and routing as
suggested by BMW. Mine both snapped after 6 years of service - no
warning was not stiff - fairly smooth action.

I was lucky to pull off a McGuiver moment with a fix on the road and
the help of a riding buddy (Doc) . . .

Not sure if my personal style of throttle control or handle bar
management caused this but the new routing and hardware are
definitely a better set up. I think they changed this on 2005 an newer
bikes . . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bike 3/4 back together. Rode around block . New throttle cables are awesome. Thanks for the help. Do you have to be at a certain speed for cruise to work? Work on clutch side heated grip now. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Bike 3/4 back together. Rode around block . New throttle cables are awesome. Thanks for the help.

Do you have to be at a certain speed for cruise to work?
As written in owner's manual, there is a MINIMUM and MAXIMUM speed under which Cruise-Control will operate.
Some version of the manual gives: 25 to 100 MPH (40 to 160 Km/H)
Another version gives: 30 to 100 MPH (50 to 160 Km/H)

Overhaul, pretty much the same as they do NOT want you to accidentely engage it a slow speed OR at very illegal speed ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts