BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 LT [December]
30,000 + miles... low miles due to 2 GSA also...

Wondering how to tell if I have NEW or OLD cable type?

The throttle seems to stick a little in the 95+ heat.
Read where some have lubricated with silicon. Of is there a teflon lube?
Or get new cables...?
Or wait for cooler weather.

Attached is photo of cable at bar end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
You have the old cables. Any silicone spray lube may help. But you may also want to clean and grease your throttle hand grip and also check at the other end of the throttle cables where they attach to the throttle bodies. I had to pull the gas tank and air box to do mine but some guys don't (better mechanics). It's somewhat of a project so you may want to order new cables and be done with it. About $150

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Think on an 03 you have the second gen cables which are much improved over first gen cables my Y2K had fitted. Latest and greatest and if you will "Gen 3" require some parts other than just the cables, the bottom section of grip assembly / cable routing guides get changed out as well.

If you can get access to cable ends at outer housing, placing a wicking & drying type teflon lube will help a bunch !!

Here a "How too" I did quite a few years back: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/sho...er=169628&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Old style, just like the ones on my 03.

I changed the pull to open the throttle this past winter as mine was sticking also. Sticking when applying throttle.

Changed only the open one, other one was just fine.

If you are going to lube it, use a lock lubricant that contains graphite. Will make it slick as can be.

Keep in mind that usually a cable that has a sticky spot or binds, very well may have a broken strand in it somewhere and will very shortly break and then you are done riding for a while.

Not bad to change, you will be pulling tupperware. I did mine with the fuel tank off and it was realativley easy, taped the end of the new one to the end of the old one and used it to pull it through/past the steering head.

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
I would urge you to take apart the throttle grip and all the parts associated with the throttle cable up on the handle bars and inspect very closely. My 2002 cable broke 1/4" from the end while riding the Blue Ridge with no warning. Every single thread in the cable was broken in half.

At that time I wrote in one of the forms that any bike with the old throttle cable system would be subject to cable snapping and hard to turn grips . . .

Replacement parts including cables about $185!!

Just my 2 cents . . . :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts