BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents just need some info on throttle cable upgrade on 2000 and later LTs.I'm from oztralia and own a 2001 LT ,just recently I used the upgraded part numbers for cables from this site and went to fit them,but the pull cable was different and would not fit and the push cable did fit. I went back to my dealer with the cable and he said it was correct,the difference is the new cable has a plastic 90 degree bend at the throttle end as the original has a screw in straight metal fitting.After the dealer getting on to BMW he told me I have to get a new throttle assembly to make it fit upgraded cable.As far as I can see it doesn't say that anywhere on this website.Can you guys shed any light on this as I don't want to fork out money if I don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
BMW has out together a Kit that has new cables along with fittings that replace a few of the
plastic pieces on your right hand side throttle control.

See attachments . . .

This kit was put together because the older throttle cable design was poor and many many
cables have snapped in operation - ask me how I know. When I replaced mine on my 2002
which the cables failed about 2006 this kit was selling state side for about $185.

If you are riding a older model LT this should be considered essential PM - your cables will eventually break!!

Here are a few picts of a field repair I did to get me home 400 miles when my cables broke on a trip:

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have just replaced my 'pull' throttle cable after the original broke after around 128,000 kms. I live in brazil and neither the new or the old cables are available at a sensible price, almost US$300 less shipping and tax!. Consequently, I went to my not-so-local independent BMW workshop where they made up a new cable for me, at a fraction of the cost.

Since fitting the new cable the throttle is now far heavier to pull than it was. The pull cable slides easily but the pull cable seems 'stiff'. Is there something I should have done before just fitting the new cable?

Thanks, in anticipation, Martin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea of a part number for complete kit ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alpha1 said:
Any idea of a part number for complete kit ?
MAX BMW shows 32 72 7 691 990 at $26.90 as the kit you need to add the new cables.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Make sure you have the new cables installed and tied down exactly the same as the stock ones.

When the local dealer worked on my LT they mis-routed a cable. Net result was cruise control wouldn't work.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
For anyone who still has their original cables installed, I cut a slot like the one John has pictured and simply re-routed my old cables. This eliminated the hard turn they made into the handle bar cover and they seem to function just fine. With that said, the real issue was the lack of "J" tubes at the throttle which caused a hard right turn and stressed the cable sheathes where they entered the bar cover. If you are uncertain about whether yours have been changed, just look for the "J" tubes at the bottom of the throttle. If they are not there, you need to address the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the picture and kit part number.Are the part numbers for the upgraded cables correct from hall of wisdom section as I think the push cable I got down here looks different.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
For anyone who still has their original cables installed, I cut a slot like the one John has pictured and simply re-routed my old cables. This eliminated the hard turn they made into the handle bar cover and they seem to function just fine. With that said, the real issue was the lack of "J" tubes at the throttle which caused a hard right turn and stressed the cable sheathes where they entered the bar cover. If you are uncertain about whether yours have been changed, just look for the "J" tubes at the bottom of the throttle. If they are not there, you need to address the problem.
Dean, I remember seeing yours but I could use a little photographic help. Do you have pics?

Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts