BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to take the cable ends off at the bottom. I am trying to disengage throttle opener cable from its pulley at throttle valve rail. It is really hard to get to. Is there a trick to do it? I removed air intake duct and partially the fuel rail. Do I also need to remove the air box? if yes how?
Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
MattKas said:
I am trying to take the cable ends off at the bottom. I am trying to disengage throttle opener cable from its pulley at throttle valve rail. It is really hard to get to. Is there a trick to do it? I removed air intake duct and partially the fuel rail. Do I also need to remove the air box? if yes how?
Thanks in advance,
Matt,
Open the throttle. This gives you some slack in the cable and also moves the cable end to a position that is is a little easier to access. When I did mine I did not remove the air box. Use a long needle nose pliers to carefully pull the old cable out of the pulley and then to reinstall the new one. Takes time and patience.

Not to question your knowledge but to remove the cables from pulley you must tip the cable so it is perpendicular to the pulley then slide the ball on the end of the cable sideways while the cable goes through the slot in the pulley.

Roy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Matt,

With the fan,air duct and vaccuum pod removed. Pull the cable to wide open throttle and wedge something in the linkage to hold it that way. The pulley wheel and cable connection will now be visible at the bottom of the pulley. Push some slack in the cable, which will put the cable out of the grove, now pull the barrel out with forcepts. Easy as pie!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Guys thanks. I was able to pull the opening cable off and put the new one in.

But how the closing cable? How do you take that clip off? I am able to see that clip with mirror in the back. Go Figure... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Daveh said:
Matt,

With the fan,air duct and vaccuum pod removed. Pull the cable to wide open throttle and wedge something in the linkage to hold it that way. The pulley wheel and cable connection will now be visible at the bottom of the pulley. Push some slack in the cable, which will put the cable out of the grove, now pull the barrel out with forcepts. Easy as pie!

·
Registered
273 Posts
MattKas said:
OK Guys thanks. I was able to pull the opening cable off and put the new one in.

But how the closing cable? How do you take that clip off? I am able to see that clip with mirror in the back. Go Figure... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....
I compressed the spring and used a right angle pick to pop it off. I was lucky, it went flying and landed in my lap. Used right angle needle nose pliers to put it back on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To get the clip off the throttle closing cable, it is similar to
a circlip, just slide it up. I used a small jewelers screwdriver
to slid it and then a needle nose pliers to grab the clip
so it won't get lost.

I also cut a small notch in the radiator fan shroud to
allow the fan motor cable to be routed more easily.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finaly managed put the the clip on on the new cable after it went flying 4 times. I had to fish out with a magnet a few times. Thanks for all the help.

Daveh said:
I compressed the spring and used a right angle pick to pop it off. I was lucky, it went flying and landed in my lap. Used right angle needle ynose pliers to put it back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is sometimes a reference to 'rerouting' the new cables. Is the only change the new passage into the bar cover or are there others?
And thanks to all previous posters of questions and answers. Without you all I would not have started on this much needed task.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New routing (new passage into the bar cover) and new design ends by the throttle.
New cable assembly

HoosierHugh said:
There is sometimes a reference to 'rerouting' the new cables. Is the only change the new passage into the bar cover or are there others?
And thanks to all previous posters of questions and answers. Without you all I would not have started on this much needed task.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts