BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of replacing the sticky throttle cables on my '02 LT, myself. I have read a number threads on this forum, reviewed the service manual and spoken to a couple members of this forum. I'm still a little hesitant to take on this job by myself. How many of you out there have successfully changed the cables? Is there a tech day planned for this proceedure? Is there anyone out there that would be willing to coach me through this? I live in Manitoba Canada and I don't have a problem travelling (within reason).

Best regards,
Wilson.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Doin' it yourself

Hi Wilson,

I'm astatic about my new cables. The pull is even and smooth, and the return is literally a snap. I would not walk, but run, and buy the parts and get it done.

As far as doing it yourself is concerned. The process is not real difficult if you have time and some basic tools. I would suggest a digital camera to use along the way to help in putting things back together.

Oregon is a bit far of a ride, but you are welcome to drop in and I would help you get it done. PM me for more information, and my cell number, and I can always help you over the phone.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Wilson,
Invite some of the local riders over for moral support and you will not have any problems with all those minds brainstorming together.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I watched the dealer do it and I know many of the guys here say no problem.... but I could never have done that job. It was like watching open heart surgery. Might be fun to try with a real wrench monkey looking over my shoulder. I'm just not a good wrench, yet.

As far as the end product... the new cable was the single best improvement to my bike I've made. It changes the entire feel of my ride for the better. My forearm is appreciative.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do it yourself. You'll save some big $$$. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
A fair assortment of tools, (nothing special) a repair manual, a whole afternoon and a little patience for a first timer is all that's really required.
Just be sure not to let the retainer clips fall down onto the engine block...You'll catch hell finding them & getting them out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have had the throttle cables replaced on my '03 LTC. The difference is like night and day. Changes the whole feel and pleasure of the ride. When I bought the bike the replacement parts (cable kit) were thrown in with the deal.
I took it to my local BWM dealer and had them do the R&R. I'm glad I did as they threw in a new heated grip (under warranty).

I was out the door for $90.00.

Bottom line, no matter who does it, get it done,,, quick...Once you ride it you'll wonder why you waited so long.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thottle cables

Hi Buddy

You aren't too far from my old home town and about a 3.5 hr ride from Regina would be my guess. I've done some work with throttle cables and its not too hard. I've got the tools here to do the work and the service manuals. Too bad its winter, eh?

Let me know if you want to pursue this further.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do It! Do It! Do It!

Like they say; What a difference - Like a different bike - Wow!, etc.

Did mine in December. A bit fiddely but doable. There was a good post on how to do the change (I don't have it with me but I'm sure someone else can point you to the post or do a search).

Once done, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts