BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm trying to get a handle on the new site format but can't seem to find any threads on changing the throttle cables (other than a listing of P/N under FAQ) I'm sure someone has been down this road ahead of me? I purchased the two new cables and '05 plastic throttle parts today. Was shown by my dealer how to modify the lower R/H handlebar plastic to allow cable entry like the '05's. Any words of wisdom? I've got the shop manual, a 6-pack and a free weekend! Past experience on this site has trained me to ask first as I know it can save a lot of foul words. Comments?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just replaced the cables on my '01 a couple of weeks ago. I found it to be a real challenge to hook up the cable ends to the throttle, but following the advice of many others who have gone before me made it easier (see the archives).

I made the big mistake of pulling my throttle grip off without (even thinking of) disconnecting the heated grip wiring. Big FUBAR requiring that I order/install a new throttle grip. If I was doing it over, I would break off the old housing pieces and leave the grip right where it was.

In typical (for me) do-it-yourself fashion, I probably ended up doing the whole job two or three times by the time I finished 'cause I break things and/or put them back together in the wrong order, sometimes more than once - DOH! In the end I learn a lot more about the machine and how she is put together.

The new cables have much better action! My cruise control has never worked as well as it does now!

I found the old throttle grip tube (37k miles) had been rubbing hard on the end of the handle bar, rubbing on a bunch of bare metal. I sanded it all down real fine and smooth before installing the new grip (with a little silicone lubricant).

Much success to you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Throttle Blue Turnned to Smiles

Didn't find much interest regarding my inquiry on my pending throttle cable replacement (perhaps everyone already knows about it and I'm just a late comer to the issue)? But, thought I should share the results of my experience with installing the '05 throttle cable conversion to my '02 LT with 42K miles on it.

Stating that THE RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC is an understatement! The bike rides like a different animal and you would swear you gained 10 HP. It really is amazing how you get used to a suttle detrimental change over time and convince yourself that it really isn't all that bad (but wonder why your thumb and wrist ache after each ride)? My new problem is keeping the beast near the posted limit. It now begs to be red lined in every gear and accelerates with such ease that I'm going to put off my plans to install a Rhinewest chip!

BMW provided all the correct parts (2 new cables and the handlebar conversion parts) required but stopped short of providing any installation guidance. By now I've learned not to expect much support for the do it yourselfers. However, the parts man was kind enough to walk me over to a new '05 LT and show me where to cut a hole in my R/H lower handlebar plastic cover which minimizes the bends on the new cables.
Beyond that it was just me and my handy shop manual. The installation is not overly tough, but does take time (8+ hours). I may have taken more time than required, but it was my first time removing the fuel injection rail.
The manual says to remove the air box too, but I found that unnecessary since removing the F.I. rail provides plenty of access.

The changing of the cables and the handlebar parts was straight forward enough, just go slow as there are many small screws holding the handlebar control assembly together and it's easy to overlook one or two. Installing the new '05 twist grip linkage parts is quite easy, it's getting the '02 parts off that takes time. I don't know what BMW charges to do this job, but I'm sure I saved myself $400+. What was even more satisfying was the fantastic results. I was very conscious of checking the bad cable during disassembly as I wanted to find the culprit that caused the original problem. Once the old cables were removed they felt as smooth as the new ones? This was a concerned because it caused me to have few moments of self doubt that maybe I'd gone through all this work for nothing. The true cause of the problem appears not to be the cables as much as the old twist grip linkage design. Apparently as it ages and wears the friction increase becomes worse and worse.

For anyone having a throttle twist grip that appears too stiff or does not snap closed quickly (like mine), I can't recommend this modification enough.
The change can make you fall in love with the LT all over again!

I can't recall ever having to change throttle cables on any other bike I've owned in the past and some will say this is just another bad thing against the LT. But, on the other hand, I've never owned any other motorcycle that has given me more overall satisfaction than the LT does. In fact, at 42K miles I feel I've just got the bike broken in and accessorised to my liking.

If you even think you have a tight throttle problem and you have a bike older than an '05, don't walk, RUN to your dealer and spend the $130 in parts for this conversion. In the end you will find that old zing that the LT had when it was new.

Note: I'd didn't take pictures of my installation, but I'm happy to discuss the process with anyone who has questions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2000 which I am sure would benefit from this change. Do you happen to have the part numbers of everthing you installed?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is the procedure described the same as a dealer would do or have you made any modifications? I am not confident of tackling this myself.

·
Registered
855 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I'm getting new throttle cables the weekend of the 15th. along with a new rear rotor and a new stock windscreen.
At 76,000 miles Dusty Miller of Miller BMW Motorcycles of Tallahassee got BMW to warranty the parts and I will cover the labor. :)
The throttle cables were replaced under warranty once before when the LT was new but they have always been stiff.
The rear rotor was replaced under warranty and rattles like a 67 Knucklehead.
The windscreen keeps fogging up.
Dave,
If you don't mind, how 'bout lettin' us know what the labor costs you. I talked to Daytona BMW the other day about the cables & rear rotor. At 39,000 miles they didn't actually laugh at me, but they didn't make any effort to help either.

I priced the parts, & with a Chicago type discount I don't mind payin' for the hardware & doin' the install myself. I suspect the costs will balance out, but would like to compair to your labor cost.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wally,

The part numbers for the '05 Throttle Cable mod I made are as follows;
a) Throttle Cable: 32737694490 ($40.19)
b) Acc. Cable: 32737694491 ($56.79)
c) Twist Grip Mod Kit: 32727691990 ($24.19)

Look at the lower plastic cover on the throttle side handlebar of an '05 LT to see the new exit hole you need to cut in your existing plastic. This hole turned out to be directly under the swedged area of the front brake hose that runs down the throttle side handlebar. Good luck! I think you will be amazed at the positive results?

Vern Shrader

·
Registered
182 Posts
old1951 said:
Good luck! I think you will be amazed at the positive results?

Vern Shrader
Well, is that an understatement! Got the bike back from the dealer yesterday - WOW - its a new machine. If you haven't done this - do it now!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Is this something that can be done to a '99 model?
If so, can someone post the details up of how to do this?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Just ordered my kit as well, fuel and air filter while I have her all tore up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think I'm gonna dogpile in on this too (easy decision since the bike is already wide open getting a lot of other work done on it).

QUESTION:

Can somebody with a 05' take a couple of digi-pics of the cable routing and exit point for all of us to see. I'm far away from a dealership...and they usually don't stock the LT anyway.

Mucho Appreciation !

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
THANKS Gino,

Those pics are EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! :)

I assume the routing of the cables is the same as the old...past the new insertion point in the handlbar cover...Se?

Big thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just ordered the parts from Chicago BMW.

Here are the particulars:

327 276 919 90 Repair Kit S 1 $19.20
327 376 944 90 Throttle S 1 $32.00
327 376 944 91 Acc. Cable S 1 $45.20
Shipping $ 7.00
Total $103.40

Not bad if the improvement is as good as y'all are saying it is!:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
"As far as I know" the routing is the same - I had the work done under warranty and have not been in since.

I believe the only thing that has changed is the routing off of the grip and into the handlebar space to avoid sharp bends.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I'm getting new throttle cables the weekend of the 15th. along with a new rear rotor and a new stock windscreen.

The rear rotor was replaced under warranty and rattles like a 67 Knucklehead.
The windscreen keeps fogging up.
Dave, is BMW covering the cost of a new rotor and windscreen? Seem like that would be highly unusual.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So the obvious question is

If the new cables didn't seem any better than the old ones..... can the old ones be reused or are the ends different...??????
If the problem is in the twist grip assb could that be just changed and the cables left alone???

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts