BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing throttle cables on '00 LT, Have read almost every post on the subject. There is the service manual way to do this job and short cut way recommended by several.

Here is my BIG CONCERN - please help.
Many do-it yourself members made the job very easy on the engine end of the cables by removing the bracket (retaining plate) that holds the cables to the throttle valve rail.
HOWEVER - in three places the BMW repair manual says "Do not remove retaining plate: the screws locate the throttle valve stubs."
I have no idea what the throttle valve STUB is - I do know what the throttle valves or throttle body is. Is the "stub" something inside that comes loose if you remove only one screw? There are two screws in each throttle valve. The air box is still installed. I can't imaging any movement of the throttle valve from removing one screw.

Some expert super wrenches have removed the bracket, seemingly without negative consequences. If any of these are reading this, please help me out. A few of these are Maineace, eskov, pushin9s, and jzeiler.

Has anyone had problems from removing the bracket?

Jim Mc

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
Jim,

I see that warning and for the life of me I don't understand the issue. Those screws hold the TB to the rail so it should not be an issue. I had my TB assembly off of the stubs with the air box still attached when I did my cables. That is fairly easy as you just undo the screw clamps at the base and pull the whole assy up and away. Gives you plenty of access to the cables to replace them and keeps all brackets intact.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I had convinced myself that it was safe to remove the bracket but my anal side said, "warning..warning...warning, don't go against the manual.

As soon as my cables arrive, I'll do it the easy way.

Thanks again for the reply.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The most valuable tool I found when replacing my cables was a set of long hemostats I used to install the cable end on the throttle bodies. Saved me a ton of work. I found them at the flea market. It saved me from having to remove some parts............. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hemostats are a great tip for inserting the cables into the throttle cams. Luckily, I have a lot of them in various sizes and angles. I'll definitely use one to install the cables when they arrive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't see any risk for removing the bracket and no stubs fell off.
I was thinking removing the bracket is only way to make sure c-clip snap on its place.

-Esko

1 - 7 of 7 Posts