BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys and girls I'm getting tired of twisting the throttle on my 2000 K1200lt.
And somewhere I read a couple of years ago folks were installing newer model cables, I think. This would be to create less friction at the twist grip.
Part numbers or ideas?
Thanks kindly!
M

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ok boys and girls I'm getting tired of twisting the throttle on my 2000 K1200lt.
And somewhere I read a couple of years ago folks were installing newer model cables, I think. This would be to create less friction at the twist grip.
Part numbers or ideas?
Thanks kindly!
M
If your bike has the old style with cruise control. Max says pre 04 are these numbers but validate yourself.

32 73 7 694 491 ACCELERATOR CABLE, CONNECTOR (to 12/04) 0.31 X $88.20

01 32 73 7 694 490 THROTTLE CABLE, BREAK CONTACT (to 12/04) 0.32 1 $68.32

And the parts kit to mount the new style cables.

32 72 7 691 990 SET: REP.KIT ACCELERATOR CABLE DEFLECTION - D=45MM (to 12/04) 0.04 1 $30.57

I suggest you slide back the throttle grip and clean under it as gunk tends to build up making it difficult to twist. Just make sure that you remove the heated grip cable plug and feed the wires through the bars as you slid it off to clean or you can damage the heated grip. Don't try and pull in those wires and expect it to slide. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super fast info! She is a young girl <36k miles on her. I'm just getting ready to pull Tupperware anyway for servicing and thought I'd cross this one off my list of nagging issues..

Thanks Gordon!

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
When I did mine I cut a hole in the handle bar cover for the cables to go thru. It was cheaper than buying a factory one ...with a hole in it...:wave

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
When I did mine I cut a hole in the handle bar cover for the cables to go thru. It was cheaper than buying a factory one ...with a hole in it...:wave
Thanks, I forgot about the cover completely. Yes, it is far cheaper to just cut a hole than spend the $100+ for that piece of plastic.

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Take pictures and pay attention to the cable routing near the fan shroud one cable has white tape and one green tape. Routing is critical here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You will be glad you updated your cables. It's a world of difference!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts