BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the deed. Yep I did. I lubed Katerina’s throttle cables. Actually it was only the opening cable that was stiff. The throttle had become so stiff that I was afraid that I’d break something. I know that BMW says not to lube them but I figured it beats breaking them. I took the cover off the cables at the twist grip, disconnected them, and sprayed them with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. It took a while to work it into the cables, (I was surprised at how small in diameter they were), but soon everything was working a lot more freely. The first time I started off on a ride I must have left about 3 feet of rubber on my driveway. WoW what a difference.:p

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the input

I am glad to hear it worked good for you, I bought the can of CRC and been thinking about doing it, now that I hear your experience I am going to do it. I know BMW says not to do it but I friend of mine has an 02 KRS and he does it like every 6 months and never had an issue, he has been doing it for at least 2 years that I know off with no ill effects.

Thanks again, I might go home this evening and get it done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATLDB said:
I am glad to hear it worked good for you, I bought the can of CRC and been thinking about doing it, now that I hear your experience I am going to do it. Thanks again, I might go home this evening and get it done.
ATLDB, let us know how it turns out for you. As for me -compared to replacing the throttle cables with the new and improved ones, I'm very happy that I saved about $100 in parts, and a few hours in labor. It took me all of about 15 minutes to do the lube and it works so much better than before. Every time I've ridden in the last week I kick myself for not having done this a long time ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Throttle Cables

Mike;
Keep us posted on the throttle cables. I have had three sets of them break on different bikes; all k12lt's though. I would be interested if the cable lasts or breaks in the near future. If the lube works I'm all for it.
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts