BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have synchronized my throttle bodies on my 07 R1200RT and they are good from 1500rpm well up past 5000. However, it idle they are not in synch. They aren't wildly off but the twinmax is over to the right side between the 1 and the 2 on full sensitivity when I am at idle. Being a symmetrical guy this bugs me ;) .

Well I understand that the procedure is not supposed to affect idle synch, but I am curious as to what does and if it matters that they are off a little. My idle is OK but could always be a little smoother, so if this is an indication that something else is out of whack I'd like to know about it.

Thanks

Bill in Denver

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I presume the 1200s have similar throttle bodies to the 1150s as I've not worked on any 1200s. With that said you should see a large brass screw on each of your TBs which is more accurately a fine threaded barrel with an o-ring seal between it and the TB. The o-ring is not visible without removing the screw. This is your idle air adjuster. Turning it out will lower the vacuum on that side by increasing the by-pass air around the butterfly. These are used to idle sync the TBs and can be used together to fine tune the idle speed of the engine.

After looking at the micro-fiche here:
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog2/MicroList.aspx?id=51560&catID=13&catname=13+Fuel+system
it appears that if you have an idle screw it's probably underneath #9. I see there's an idle controller listed which the 1150s don't have so they are different beasts.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the TB's on the R1200 series are synchronized by means of the throttle cables.
Gaby

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Gaby is correct, no brass air screws on the newer bikes (1200). It is all done with the cables. Careful going back and re doing many times to get the best match is the way. There is a quick coverage at this site, you don't need to buy the DVD but they look good.
http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only adjustment is to insure there is adequate throttle cable slack at the throttle bodies when the grip is released. Adjusting anything else will result in expensive damage. The throttle balance at idle is controlled through the stepper motors by the BMS-K. It is normal they are off balance at idle, the BMS-K will make adjustments continually and the balance at idle is a moving target. Do not touch any adjustment on the TBs except the cables :bmw:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas, I think the stepper motor calibration is what I need for the idle TB synch. Cables seem fine with the required slack. The TB synch is reasonably well described on the jimvonbaden site here http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html .

Jim say the GS-911 software will clibrate the steppers, but to have to shell out a few hundred bucks for the software just isn't worth it for only that one thing. I was hoping there would be some double top secret cheat method to reset/calibrate these otherwise, but I guess there is not :( . Thanks anyway.

Bill in Denver

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good, glad to hear you won't be adjusting for this. Even when you calibrate with the GS 911 the steppers will drift back in short order. Like I said , the BMS-K controls this function. It's not broken, don't fix it :wave

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ajaxthedog89 said:
Thanks fellas, I think the stepper motor calibration is what I need for the idle TB synch.

Jim say the GS-911 software will clibrate the steppers, but to have to shell out a few hundred bucks for the software just isn't worth it for only that one thing.
Bill in Denver
Not exactly Bill. The GS-911 is not "software" it's a full system - hardware and software. If you have a Hexhead [you do] the GS-911 is a tool you should own. It's does far more than just calibrate the steppers. Hit this link for more info.

GS-911

I've done my steppers a few times and it certainly does work just fine. Not a cheap tool - then again, you don't ride a cheap bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(Heavy sigh), I just wish BMW would go with ODB2 instead of their proprietary interface. My friend's Triumph Sprint uses that interface and I can plug in my $50 scanner and read codes, clear codes, etc. How refreshing that would be on the RT!

Yeah I know, dream on...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree that the GS-911 is not cheap, but I also think it is a very useful tool. It is not only capable of reading but can
also command the various functions of the bike. Should you travel and have the Bluetooth version, you will be able to
diagnose the system through a mobile phone. This doesn't mean the GS-911 will be able to repair a bike, but it will
bring a possible solution closer by or provide insight on the magnitude of the problem. An expensive but valuable tool.
Should you have a few fellow riders in the neighborhood, it may be feasible to buy a GS-911 together, sharing the cost.
The enthousiast version allows 10 VIN's to get full access to the GS-911's features.
Gaby

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I may be mistaken but it is my understanding that the stepper motors on the throttle bodies re calibrate themselves at every start up sequence. I own a GS-911 and find it an invaluable tool. Software up grades for it do not come often so no worries and I do not have the impression that the once a year thing is enforced. I am on the verge of changing over from the enthusiast to professional status on the 911 because of many people using it. Like a tire changer, a cluster of friends riding BMW's needs one in the group.

·
Registered
96 Posts
nesbocaj said:
I am thinking of the 911, but the limit to one year of updates for that price is not palatable. :mad:
FYI, even though the license "says" that you only get one year of free upgrades, the FAQ on the Hexcode website states that this has not yet been implemented and that they only reserve the right to do so in the future. In other words, updates thus far have been free since the GS-911 was first released.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to buy one, only providing info.

·
Registered
63 Posts
twilson said:
FYI, even though the license "says" that you only get one year of free upgrades, the FAQ on the Hexcode website states that this has not yet been implemented and that they only reserve the right to do so in the future. In other words, updates thus far have been free since the GS-911 was first released.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to buy one, only providing info.
Thanks for the info, I read that in their FAQ. I'd rather they just said FREE software for the life of the product. Yes they have development costs and all, this I understand, but $300 is $300.

I do all of my own work, I do have a service reminder showing (the service was done). I'll probably just wait for a group buy or something. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts