BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one access the throttle bodies?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Only way is by removing the fuel tank...which requires removal of the upper left and right side panels(no need to remove the lower stuff), removal of the panel that holds the radio(Some refer to it as the stingray), then remove the fuel tank, then the air box. It sounds like a lot..and can be intimidating the first time 'round, but it's not too bad. About 20-30 minutes and you're in.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read about spraying starter fluid at or holding an unlit propane torch near the throttle bodies while the engine is running to check for leaks. How can this be done with the fuel tank and air box off?

·
Registered
509 Posts
For that, I wouldn't remove anything. Instead, get a really long tube..or two or three joined together (you know, those little red tubes that come with cans of WD-40)...attach it to your starting fluid, and snake it into the area where the rubber couplings are located that join the throttle-bodies and the airbox. Start 'er up...and spray away. Just be careful...that stuff is WAY flammable as you know.

I can't recall seeing anybody with a leaky airbox to throttle body coupling on this board (doens't mean it hasn't happened...just that I don't necessaruily recall). What makes you suspect that's the problem?...and not a vacuum hose, or fuel supply issue?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still having sputtering issues. See my previous post. (I'm pretty sure you responded to that one too!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts