BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the K1600 GTL out for a test ride today. I have no intention of buying one, but Dave at A&S (best sales guy ever - he really is more like a friend) said "Go ahead anyway, I'd like to hear what you think!"

Sum it up to say, about 1/2 a mile into the ride, I am thinking "I don't care how much this thing costs, I have to get one!"

General Observations:
* Power, power, and more power at every RPM level. I purposely lugged it, and rolled on the throttle, lots of power. I wound her out - intoxicating acceleration. Beware - I was doing 70 on a city block in second gear before I realized...
* The "fly by wire" throttle took a little to get used to. Incredible and instant response.
* On the go, feels much lighter and more nimble than the LT.
* Very clever control wheel to manage all of the included farkles. You have to see it to understand.
* Demo model had the low seat. At my height (6'3"), I could not stand that... They will have a raised seat available for demo soon. Also, there is an optional engine guard that you can attach highway pegs to. It looks like my after-market lowered pegs from my LT may go right on, but not sure.
* Not sure how an after market FRS radio can be incorporated.
* Seems to be as much luggage room as the LT, but not sure how you could get a tank bag on.
* Power, power, and more power... Did I mention that? Makes my LT seem like a mini bike with a Briggs and Stratton.

Scheming as to how I can justify the $... Worse yet, the wife says to go for it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Sat on one today.

I got short legs, 30" inseam, this feels way better than my LT.

Did not ride it, but started it.

Oh yes!

Now to figure out a workable method of affording one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was out last Wednesday on my test ride. Here are a few thoughts about the ride.

Here are a few of my observations of the GTL:
***Note that some of these have already been stated by previous riders***

* In low light/dark skies, the blue looks almost black.

* The speedo is a little awkward. What I mean by that is; in the US (and most other places), your speed will typically be around 40-70 mph. The indicator for that range is about the 9-10 o'clock position. I think I would have rather had that range at the noon position (on top). That is just my personal preference and I WILL be used to it in no time at all.

* The speakers are VERY good (could be better though)...when stopped. With the wind, you lose some of the sound (to be expected).

* The handlebar controller requires you to back out to the main menu after changing certain features. Once again, that is something that I will get more used to as time goes on. To me, it seems like they could've streamlined things a bit better, but I haven't used it enough to really be critical of it.

* The weight of the bike is barely noticeable when at speed/standing still. The only time I even felt a hint of more weight on the bike was when accelerating from a stop light. I felt I was "steering" the bike looking to find the right center of gravity at very low speeds.

* The (optional in some markets) fog lamps on the GTL don't seem very ergonomic from the side view, but when looking at them head on... the bike looks imposing. The LED fog lamps are MUCH brighter than the fog lamps I have on my GSA (same design, but now LED). I did not see them at night, but in low light and grey skies they seem brighter than the "owl eyes" in the headlamp.

* I rode mostly in Rain Mode and didn't notice the throttle lag from the ride by wire system that so many others have stated, but I didn't even think about it until I was on the motorway. That was when I switched modes for a bit more power.

* The seat was comfortable, but I was only on the bike for about 20 minutes, which is not a good test of comfort. The demo I was on had the higher of the two seats and I was flat footed when stopped. With a 31-32" inseam, I did feel a (very little) bit cramped when sitting, but I had been on my GSA all morning, so was coming from a tall stance to sitting "in" the bike might be why I felt that way.

* I tested the grab handles, and without a body in the seat, it is not difficult getting your hands around the handles. With a butt in the seat... well, I'll have my GF worry about that

* The sound is throaty and sexy. It is not obnoxiously loud like a bike with straight pipes, but a solid growl as you accelerate up the power band.

* Not many curves on the route I rode today, but I did what I could to widen the "chicken strip". As the first rider (other than the mechanic that put the bike together), I didn't have the benefit of someone else breaking the tires in. The bike leans easy and comes back up just as easy. Someone mentioned, "flickability", I would agree with that. Almost as nicely as my K1300S (Not quite, well, not close, but I didn't have a good example to test it on either).

* I suppose the main thing that resonated with me was that I was very comfortable on it and I wish I had hours to explore the bike. The bike just wants to go and when I say "go", I mean long distances. It just eats up the motorway without any effort at all.

* On a side note: I passed a guy on an HD with ape hangers about 2/3s of the way through the ride. He made a point to accelerate along side of me, then dropped back to check out the rear and then to the right of me. Not something typical of a lot of dudes riding with ape hangers. Either he is aware of the 1600 or the looks of it jumped out at him... I am more inclined to think he had already heard about it, but hadn't seen one in person. If you just GLANCE at it from the side, it is not much different than the K1300GT.

Not long now until our bikes start rolling in! For my sake, I am hoping the Blue GTLs are the first out to the dealers :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
As for the salesman, he's not really "more like a friend"- he's good at what he does. Get the customer in the seat and let the bike sell itself. And a green light from the rear seat passenger, to boot!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GRB60 said:
As for the salesman, he's not really "more like a friend"- he's good at what he does. Get the customer in the seat and let the bike sell itself. And a green light from the rear seat passenger, to boot!
I agree, Dave is very good at what he does - but he is also like a friend. One time another rider's FD went out (shocker!) on a weekend trip. On a Sunday evening, Dave went down to the dealership to open the door so the tow truck could drop it off.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't think I'll be as impressed with the power currently riding a Concours14. But if the GTL proves to be reliable, I'll be looking for a used one ... in a year or two. ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
messenger13_ver2 said:
I don't think I'll be as impressed with the power currently riding a Concours14. But if the GTL proves to be reliable, I'll be looking for a used one ... in a year or two. ;)
That's probably my gameplan as well. Even though my wife is playing Devil's Advocate, and saying, "Honey, if you want one, order it now!"... I just know I can get one a lot cheaper if I am patient.

My comments above pertain to the power compared to the LT. Also, I noticed that they put the FD on the wrong side with the new GTL! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
0.4s faster in the 60-80 and 80-100 top gear roll-on over the Connie.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good luck finding a used one in a year or two. It's extremely unlikely there'd be any used ones in a year, and there'd likely be very few in two years. The bike is only just now starting to come out and it's the sort of bike buyers are likely to hold on to for a while. And demand for used ones, when they appear, would probably stay high, keeping the price up.

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I'll be looking for a used one ... in a year or two. ;)
I may have a used one available in a few years. You don't mind if I turn over the first 100K first, do you? :bike:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
cbdane said:
0.4s faster in the 60-80 and 80-100 top gear roll-on over the Connie.
You failed to mention the GTL's top speed. :eek: *yawn* I'm guessing it's nowhere near 160. ;) I've heard it's in the 140 range.

meese said:
I may have a used one available in a few years. You don't mind if I turn over the first 100K first, do you? :bike:
Umm ... yes, I do. I'll get one from some rich idiot that put about 5K on it and then decided to go buy another Harley, because his new wife thinks they're cooler. ;)

CGameProgrammer said:
Good luck finding a used one in a year or two.
BaH! There will be used GTLs available before this calendar year is up. People are like that. Not the most logical race on the planet at times. Especially Americans. ;)

·
Old Dawg
3,283 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
Good luck finding a used one in a year or two. It's extremely unlikely there'd be any used ones in a year, and there'd likely be very few in two years. The bike is only just now starting to come out and it's the sort of bike buyers are likely to hold on to for a while. And demand for used ones, when they appear, would probably stay high, keeping the price up.
There has NEVER been a production vehicle I wanted that I couldn't get used for a decent saving within a year of release.... perhaps this would be a good time for a wager :D

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
You failed to mention the GTL's top speed. :eek: *yawn* I'm guessing it's nowhere near 160. ;) I've heard it's in the 140 range.
GTL, sure, as it's been electronically limited due to stability concerns with the large trunk. But apparently not the GT.

Besides, when't the last time you went 140+ for any length of time? It may give you testosterone bragging rights but in the real world, it's just not an issue.

messenger13_ver2 said:
I'll get one from some rich idiot that put about 5K on it and then decided to go buy another Harley, because his new wife thinks they're cooler.
I'll probably go that route as well. But first, I've got a K13GT to wear out . . . :bike:

messenger13_ver2 said:
Especially Americans. ;)
Hey man, don't be bashing Amerika, unless you want to move somewhere else . . . Sorry, wrong forum. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
You failed to mention the GTL's top speed. :eek: *yawn* I'm guessing it's nowhere near 160. ;)
Heh, heh... I guess the GT's just right for me, then. I'll never take it over 120 but I'll use the 60+ top gear roll-on dozens of times a trip. The top speed will always be a mystery. I'll leave that for the idiots (your words) of whom you speak.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scottydawg said:
There has NEVER been a production vehicle I wanted that I couldn't get used for a decent saving within a year of release.... perhaps this would be a good time for a wager :D
I agree.... My LT came from an Orthodontist who had at for under three years and only put 9,000 miles on it. There are always deals out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts