BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these had Threadlocker on them when I removed them, but the service manual does not specify using any.

Is there a group consensuses on this?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
So these had Threadlocker on them when I removed them, but the service manual does not specify using any.

There should be no thread locker on those. They are torqued to a high value ( right side and jam nut ). If done properly, they will not come lose.

If you watch jzellers weep hole video, he makes mention of the PO doing a good job not having used any locktite on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Thank you.

I have seen that video as well as a bunch of the Chris Harris videos, who also doesn't use Threadlocker on these. Just having to melt the threadlocker to get these things off during removal gave me a moment of pause.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts

My understanding is that BMW used this at the factory and then changed their mind. Neither the BMW RepROM nor Clymer manual specifies thread locker. I used at when I switched to the brass bushings as Tom Cutter sent instructions that specified it to help hold the bushing in place on the pin, if memory serves.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
My understanding is that BMW used this at the factory and then changed their mind. Neither the BMW RepROM nor Clymer manual specifies thread locker. I used at when I switched to the brass bushings as Tom Cutter sent instructions that specified it to help hold the bushing in place on the pin, if memory serves.
I forgot about those as I still have the needle bearings. If I am remembering correctly, the locker was as you said used on the bushing and the un-threaded part of the pin, not on the threads themselves. Correct me if I am wrong on that Matt. It was a while ago that I looked at those.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
I forgot about those as I still have the needle bearings. If I am remembering correctly, the locker was as you said used on the bushing and the un-threaded part of the pin, not on the threads themselves. Correct me if I am wrong on that Matt. It was a while ago that I looked at those.
That is what I did, but I would have to dig out the instructions to confirm if that is correct.
:grin:

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 6 of 6 Posts