BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished pulling the CB out of the big girl today and added a 12V charger outlet to the oddements box. After I was done, I went to get gas and the speakers in my helmet will not turn on.

Does the CB have anything to do with the helmet speakers or is it possible I left a plug unplugged under the stingray? I told myself to check the system out before I put it back together, but got too excited I was ready to put it back together and forgot to test it. Any suggestions before I take it back apart?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lstinthot said:
I finished pulling the CB out of the big girl today and added a 12V charger outlet to the oddements box. After I was done, I went to get gas and the speakers in my helmet will not turn on.

Does the CB have anything to do with the helmet speakers or is it possible I left a plug unplugged under the stingray? I told myself to check the system out before I put it back together, but got too excited I was ready to put it back together and forgot to test it. Any suggestions before I take it back apart?

Thanks,
Most likely just missed the plug to the headset socket. Do you have a passenger headset outlet? If so, try your headset plugged in there. If it works, than makes it all the more likely to be a missed plug.

Which intercom do you have? ComSystem? VOICE? VOICE II? IIRC, some of the intercoms have a button on the unit face to switch between the headset and the bike's speakers -- check to make sure if you have on it's in the headset position.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The button on the face unit was not working, took it all apart again and only had one plug I did not connect. I thought it was the power to the CB. It has bad connectors and every time I take the stingray off, they break. I ordered another connector, it did not come with the metal connector parts to connect the wires to. I thought I would be done messing with the connector. Looks like it powers the main Com unit and the CB gets its power from that.

Now my front speakers are not working when playing through the bike speakers and the helmet speakers are very erratic and crackelly, if that is a word. When I play my phone through the headset, it is crystal clear. Maybe upset the radio when I had it taken apart to remove the CB?

Com unit just says Comsystem in the book. I have the Aux audio input, faring speaker/headset switch, intercom volume, FRS radio input, Intercom VOX sensitivity, FRS or CB selector switch on the face.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lstinthot said:
Now my front speakers are not working when playing through the bike speakers and the helmet speakers are very erratic and crackelly, if that is a word. When I play my phone through the headset, it is crystal clear. Maybe upset the radio when I had it taken apart to remove the CB?

Com unit just says Comsystem in the book.
Good -- now we know which system. PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send a .pdf copy of the ComSystem installation instructions. These not only show you precisely which connector goes where, the back pages have a wiring diagram to help with diagnostics.

Your audio symptoms suggest a common problem -- likely the audio connector at the rear of the ComSystem or the rear of the radio head unit.

The basic audio wires arrangement with the ComSystem was:

Pre-ComSystem installation: Speaker leads come out of the rear of the radio chassis (i.e., after passing through the radio's amplifier*) and head to the speakers.

Post-ComSystem installation: Speaker leads coming out of the radio are intercepted and plug into the ComSystem, and then come back out of the ComSystem and go to the speakers. The reason for this arrangement is to feed the radio's output into the ComSystem, which can then (depending on the position of the bike speaker/headset switch) send the audio output out of the unit -- either to the headset harnesses or to the bike's speakers.

From your description, one of the connectorsin at the ends of the wires carrying audio between the radio and ComSystem or out of the ComSystem is likely only partially seated, leading to no connection on some wires (the bike's speakers) and/or intermittent interference on other wires. If it were me, my first step would be to go back inside the radio housing and verify all the connectors are seated (and then test the entire system, plugged in but not reassembled, sitting on top of the fuel tank) to see whether that was it.

* this is one of the significant differences between the ComSystem and the subsequent VOICE units -- the VOICE units take their audio inputs from *before* the radio's amplifier -- at some point, the radio was changed ('05? earlier? can't remember anymore) to provide pre-amp outputs from the back of the radio chassis.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a loose connection on a different connector going to the bike from the stingray. Took about an hour to take the plastic off and singray find the issue, test it and put it back together. Thank you much for your help.

Now I need to figure out the wine my phone makes when I have it plugged into the charger and headset. I am getting alot of engine feedback through the helmet.

Its always something, however it is ready for the trip to VA Friday.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lstinthot said:
Now I need to figure out the wine my phone makes when I have it plugged into the charger and headset.
I'm afraid you likely won't have much success -- the LT is a very electrically noisy bike. Ground loop isolators, shielding, etc. can help a bit, but after poor results over 4 LT's I finally stopped plugging the cell phone into the charger unless I really needed a charge -- and disconnected if I needed to talk.

I'm *really* hoping BMW has finally addressed this on the K16, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mneblett said:
Good -- now we know which system. PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send a .pdf copy of the ComSystem installation instructions. These not only show you precisely which connector goes where, the back pages have a wiring diagram to help with diagnostics.

Your audio symptoms suggest a common problem -- likely the audio connector at the rear of the ComSystem or the rear of the radio head unit.

The basic audio wires arrangement with the ComSystem was:

Pre-ComSystem installation: Speaker leads come out of the rear of the radio chassis (i.e., after passing through the radio's amplifier*) and head to the speakers.

Post-ComSystem installation: Speaker leads coming out of the radio are intercepted and plug into the ComSystem, and then come back out of the ComSystem and go to the speakers. The reason for this arrangement is to feed the radio's output into the ComSystem, which can then (depending on the position of the bike speaker/headset switch) send the audio output out of the unit -- either to the headset harnesses or to the bike's speakers.

From your description, one of the connectorsin at the ends of the wires carrying audio between the radio and ComSystem or out of the ComSystem is likely only partially seated, leading to no connection on some wires (the bike's speakers) and/or intermittent interference on other wires. If it were me, my first step would be to go back inside the radio housing and verify all the connectors are seated (and then test the entire system, plugged in but not reassembled, sitting on top of the fuel tank) to see whether that was it.

* this is one of the significant differences between the ComSystem and the subsequent VOICE units -- the VOICE units take their audio inputs from *before* the radio's amplifier -- at some point, the radio was changed ('05? earlier? can't remember anymore) to provide pre-amp outputs from the back of the radio chassis.
Could I get a copy of that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts