BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Some of you may have seen my previous posts about buying a '99 LTC. Well, last Wednesday - after installing the replacement left mirror that came in the mail - I took the bike out and must have hit some black ice going around a right sweeping curve. Instantly the bike went down on the right side and my right foot got trapped under the bike. Eventually, the bike side a little further and stopped on the centerline facing me. I stopped in the opposing lane. There was nobody in that lane thankfully. I was wearing all my gear (Tourmaster) of course. My helmet did not have a scratch. It had now become dark outside.

I noticed my right foot was pointing in a most wrong direction and I believed something had to be broken. Many fine folks stopped to help me out. I called my wife from the side of the road. In the hospital, they gave me some powerful drugs to reset my dislocated foot. Next day (Thursday) I was operated on with a plate and 8 screws. I have X-rays to prove it! I am home now. Doctors says no weight on the foot until further notice. Plate and screws can come out in 3 months. Cast stays on for 6 to 8 weeks. Expect full physical recovery. I got zero roadrash and am not sore anywhere else - the "body armor" in the Tourmaster jacket and pants did their job very well.

I have yet to see the bike. My wife and I are going over to where they towed it to see if it can be seen and if so, what can we see. I hope that nobody messed with it too much but I just don't know what to expect here. I was so excited going for the bike only to have it messed up so soon. A friend is goming over tomorrow with a U-Haul bike trailer so we can get the bike home and put in the garage.

I have a few months to have it fixed up. Depending on the damage - it may take that long to afford it. I will be posting questions and both bike and myself work our way back to riding. My wife and I have places to see and you kind folks to meet.

Jon

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Glad you are ok.

Question??? How long did you have the bike out before hitting the curve?? I am a firm believer that tires need to be warm before attempting any type of lean. Instead of black ice, cold tires????

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Jon,

Sorry to hear about the bike crash, but glad to hear that you are going to have a full recovery. Let us know how we can help. When the time comes, you get right back on that horse and ride her! ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
motorman587 said:
Glad you are ok.

Question??? How long did you have the bike out before hitting the curve?? I am a firm believer that tires need to be warm before attempting any type of lean. Instead of black ice, cold tires????
Cold tires - perhaps? I had been riding for maybe 10 miles. Air temp in the 30's and falling. Metzeler Marathon 880's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad to hear your ok........

How fast were you going? I am thinking that 30 degrees and 10 miles seems to be the recipe for ice, not cold tires. Let us know how the bike ended up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jon,

Glad your OK. Scary stuff. How's the wife taking the accident ? Got a feeling that with the recovery will come boredom.

By the time you can ride again you will have:

1) Repaired all damage on the LT.

2) Completed all services due

3) Completed all services (in advance) needed in the next 60K miles to come.

4) Researched this web site including the HOW to the point of knowing the exact location, date and topic of each thread ever posted.

5) Bought and installed every farkle ever made for the LT.

6) Bought, modified, and installed on your LT every farkle designed for any bike. :D

7) Exceed 5000 posts on this site.

Take care and heal fast. :yeah:

Oh yea....and stay OFF the black ice. That's why we out here in the west prefer to keep our ice in the freezer. :cool:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Sorry to hear the news. Sounds like you're alive to fight another day. ;) As for the bike, they are all either fixable or replaceable. :) Sounds like you rode plenty long enough for the tires to get warm enough for grip. There has been a LOT of black ice in my area over the past couple of weeks . . . that's why I ain't riding, even on the days when snow isn't an issue.

And now for s'more potentially bad news. There's a small frame tab on the LTs that often gets broken during a crash. When that happens, the insurance companies will total the bike. Let us know if this happened to your LT. Keep up up-to-date. And again . . . sorry to hear about the crash. :(

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
Sorry to hear that man.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all comes out well for you.

I rode Wednesday also. After our weekend I was very cautious. I always stick to slab and that helps take the sun/shade issue that my back roads have. Just got in from 100 mile slab ride to see my son and it was all good, just 17 degrees warm.

Again I wish you well.

If you need ANYTHING you have my e-mail address.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Jon sorry to hear about your misfortune. Good luck on the recovery, that is to say the yourself and the bike :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wife wants me to be riding as soon as I do

KIC said:
Jon,

Glad your OK. Scary stuff. How's the wife taking the accident ? Got a feeling that with the recovery will come boredom.

Oh yea....and stay OFF the black ice. That's why we out here in the west prefer to keep our ice in the freezer. :cool:
Wife has been very supportive. She knows I'm a pretty fair rider and she is almost as anxious to have me in the saddle as I am for she loves loves to ride along with me.

I agree 1000% where I prefer the ice to be as well!

As for boredom, I have thought about that. Getting the bike fixed (as well as myself, of course) will occupy me - provided that "tab" is not broken. If they must total it - so be it and I can concentrate on just getting another.

What are the opinions on getting it repaired at a dealer? Versus doing it one self?

Jon

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LAF said:
Sorry to hear that man.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all comes out well for you.

I rode Wednesday also. After our weekend I was very cautious. I always stick to slab and that helps take the sun/shade issue that my back roads have. Just got in from 100 mile slab ride to see my son and it was all good, just 17 degrees warm.

Again I wish you well.

If you need ANYTHING you have my e-mail address.
Thanks Lee.

If the bike is not totaled (I would be surprised if it was but as others has mentioned, sometimes you don't see the key damage at first) you may wish to dust off that windshield...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Glad to hear you injuries weren't major Jon. Quick healing. I hope the bike comes out okay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear the news. I rode on Wednesday also. It was a tough week compared to last. May you have a speedy recovery! The weather will be allot nicer, the days will be longer, and in 2 months and you'll be ready to roll!
Been thinking about warm tires. How long does it take to warm them up at different temps? Or do they ever?

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
...I have X-rays to prove it!
The ankle biter strikes again! My LT fell on me in a parking lot with fine gravel scattered about. It was dark, and I fell for the trap. Here's a pic of my pins, so I know just how you feel. Sorry to hear it, friend, and heal fast and well.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Jon, but glad to hear you are fixable and on the mend. It happens quick, huh? I always try to keep my "assurance" paid up, 'cause you just can't anticipate all the "imponderables".

Here's to a speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Impressed....

munson said:
The ankle biter strikes again! My LT fell on me in a parking lot with fine gravel scattered about. It was dark, and I fell for the trap. Here's a pic of my pins, so I know just how you feel. Sorry to hear it, friend, and heal fast and well.
Now that is a unique way to carry extra hardware for those breakdowns in far-a-way places !

Let us know how the bike is Jon !

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
John if someone was to tell you that you have a screw loose you just may :histerica

1 - 20 of 44 Posts