BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i've searched, I've learked, and I still cannot figure out how in the world a bike as big as the k1200lt can get the low 40's to the occasional 50 miles per gallon. I had a 2003 honda spirit 750, weigh around 560, not the tad over 800 of the k1200, and 50 mpg was a near un-breakable barrier. Only on occasion when I was just puttin around. I am a cruiser type in my riding style, speed limit plus 5 is normal. How in the world can this 800 lb 1200 cc bike match a 500 lb. 750.

Just asking, not questioning any ones statement.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I'm guessing that your '03 Honda was carbureted. The LT is fuel-injected. Your Honda was a fuel-wasting pig. The LT is semi-fuel efficient. The scary part is, the LT could even be better with better fuel mapping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you do have that part right, v twin with two carbs, just didn't know it made that much difference. Course their was that time my 13 year old was helping change the air filter to K&N. it was dusk, put a rag in the air inlet to keep it clean. oiled the K&N slapped it together and sucked a wash rag down the front carb. $300 later it actually ran better than new. Still only got mid to upper 40's

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't understand it either - however - I get a solid 45 - 48 mpg in combination riding. Just got consistent 53 -56 mpg on a 1500 mile ride in Canada.
My friend with his Ultra was amazed as I was consistently putting over a gallon less fuel---or 5 litres in at gas stops. Of course he probably shouldn't have said, before we left, "I hope we aren't going to have to stop and gas that pig up every 150 miles because my bike gets REALLY good mileage..."

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
At least HD is finally getting smarter. By '07, ALL of their bikes are EFI. Their carb'ed bikes were fairly inefficient, especially once aftermarket pipes were installed...UNLESS the carbs were rejetted and synced properly. But there's a lot of hacks out there.

When I bought by Ninja ZX-11, I was getting around 30mpg. After installing a Flo-Commander and rejetting and syncing the carbs, I consistantly got over 40 mpg.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am pretty amazed by the mpg I am getting with my LT. When I bought it it was showing 36mpg on the computer screen and I was a bit disheartened because I was getting in the high 40's with my R1150RT. I have put over 1500 miles on the LT since I bought it used and I am getting 49-53 consistently and most of that is city driving. I took a ride down I-25 and got 56 with the wind tailing me. My HD friends rave about their 150 mile range and I only smile.

·
Registered
160 Posts
messenger13 said:
At least HD is finally getting smarter. By '07, ALL of their bikes are EFI. Their carb'ed bikes were fairly inefficient, especially once aftermarket pipes were installed...UNLESS the carbs were rejetted and synced properly. But there's a lot of hacks out there.

When I bought by Ninja ZX-11, I was getting around 30mpg. After installing a Flo-Commander and rejetting and syncing the carbs, I consistantly got over 40 mpg.
Hey Joe,how do you sync the one and only carb on a Harley?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
CaptRich said:
Hey Joe,how do you sync the one and only carb on a Harley?
Joe allow me>
By matching the cam lift and duration to the carb and exhaust.
Not just bolting on a bigger carb., that just causes a flat spot in the power band until the engine develops enough draw.
Rock

·
Registered
160 Posts
Carb Sync

I got it Rock.I think of syncing in terms of two or more carbs.The real HD idiots were the ones that would slap on straight pipes without re-jetting and wonder why they lost 10-15% of there power.Gotta keep air and fuel intake balanced with exhaust gas outflow.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
You all are making me jealous. I just went on a trip up to Dallas and am only getting 35 mpg at 79mph. I only get around 42 in town. I have asked the dealer to check it and they said all the computer stuff looked good. My 05 consistantly got 53 in town and 48 highway. Any ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mpg

Wow,how'd you get such good mpg on your 05?I get 40-43 running 2-up with luggage at 80-85,and I thought that was good.Mine also 05 with 10K miles.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Riding style makes a huge difference here. My average over 86K miles is consistently 40 mpg. I can get around 50 if I take off more gently and stick closer to posted limits. My high is 56 mpg at last year's CCR (max 50 mph through the park) and low is 25 mpg for extended full throttle runs (Autobahn or track day).

It's all in the right wrist. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Also watch where you get your information an imperial gallon (the measurement used in Canada and Britain) is about 20% larger than that used in the U.S., so the variances in milage will often depend on whether you are reading an American, British or Canadian test. Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was wondering the same. The 3 times I filled it up, I averaged 48, 52, and 45 miles per gallon, and I'm just over 210 miles for today's ride and have about 1/4 tank left. Not complaining of course, just amazed! :cool:

My ZX11 got as high as 336 miles on a tank once before going on reserve, and I got about 52 mpg that day, but it was riding with a bunch of slower riders riding from Phoenix to Kit Peak and back, averaging about 70 mph. It did get about 45 mpg average for me, better than any other bike I owned except the 50cc.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hagar said:
My ZX11 got as high as 336 miles on a tank once before going on reserve, and I got about 52 mpg that day...
That must be a typo, because the ZX-11 has a 5.3 gal tank w/o reserve. That would mean that you got 63.4mpg!!! :eek: On a ZX-11...ain't going to happen at a 70mph average speed. More like 40mph average, maybe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Joe, it's a long time ago, and maybe it was at 336 miles when I filled up, not when it went on reserve. It has a 6.3 gallon tank, and I know I got way over 50 mpg on that trip.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hagar said:
Joe, it's a long time ago, and maybe it was at 336 miles when I filled up, not when it went on reserve. It has a 6.3 gallon tank, and I know I got way over 50 mpg on that trip.
53.3, that's more like it. I could get that on my '98 D6 if I was riding with cruisers or LTs too. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
still amazes me. Here I was concerned I might not be able to commute with it. 65 mile a day round trip commute, might even make going to work something to look forward to, :histerica naaah

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Captrich wrote:
"Wow,how'd you get such good mpg on your 05?I get 40-43 running 2-up with luggage at 80-85,and I thought that was good.Mine also 05 with 10K miles."

Meese Wrote:
"Riding style makes a huge difference here. My average over 86K miles is consistently 40 mpg. I can get around 50 if I take off more gently and stick closer to posted limits. My high is 56 mpg at last year's CCR (max 50 mph through the park) and low is 25 mpg for extended full throttle runs (Autobahn or track day).

It's all in the right wrist."

I always run the route the same way: Set cruise right at 79mph, take the same roads and use the same gas stations. In my 05 I consistantly got 53 mph, but this 06 was running 33 to 35 mph. I had the dealership run a check on the computer (suspected an o2 sensor was off), but they say everything is fine. Could there be anything they have missed, cause I can't believe a loss of 35% fuel economy is normal. :( :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I consider myself lucky if I get 200 miles on a tankful in city/suburb riding! That is at close to see level.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts