BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of times I've taken the bike out, I get a little grinding sound and a little vibration until the sound goes away and everything smooths out. A visual check and a slop check on the rear wheel slop check with hands at the 3 and 9 position as well as the 12 and 6 position. Bike after the check, no sound and no vibration. The last time was Sunday evening headed to the airport, this time I just turned it around and brough it home.

Just now getting back in to town and able to check it again, and viola a small puddle of final drive fluid on the floor. I've had one on the 2000, the CCR return from Salt Lake in on the 2001 and now one on the 2002. How do I get 4, well the previous owner had at least one before I bought it from him.

And before this turns into another fire storm about final drives and getting things right and have a reported it to the NTHSA and put on bmwfinaldrive.com (which is down by the way). It's all reported. And I'm not mad, I'm just reporting the facts, just furstrated the STC is 3 weeks away and this had to happen. :(

Time to contact Curt and see when he's able to get to this one, or if John Z wants a crack at it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Dang, you're gettin' ahead of me and ole Toad again!!! Curtis did our #3 last year and we've turned off our worry button now. Hope you get to do the same.

BTW - you CAN cage it to STC, right?? :confused: ;) Or hey, go on up to Cumming and borry my bro's LT - dude is in the air more'n on two wheels and his scoot needs to get rid of the mothballs!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Dayem Steve !!!!

You must have the magic touch...

Hopefully Curtis can get it sorted and back to you quick enough for STC...

Good Luck

John

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
You're gettin' so good at turning finals into filings, Curtis could use you as a case study. Maybe your preload is a bit too tight. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
And to think some people simply collect stamps... :rolleyes:
Steve, sorry to learn that you may hold a record here... Something BMW should(n't) be proud of. :(

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
John Z will do a meticulous job of it. I couldn't give a better endorsement to anyone.

I expect the following will do a good job too:
http://www.largiader.com/
http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

Some BMW authorized service centers can do a good job, you get to figure out which ones..... 'cause some will to a PPJ (pretty poor job). Sad, but true.

PM sent.

Steve_R said:
The last couple of times I've taken the bike out, I get a little grinding sound and a little vibration until the sound goes away and everything smooths out. A visual check and a slop check on the rear wheel slop check with hands at the 3 and 9 position as well as the 12 and 6 position. Bike after the check, no sound and no vibration. The last time was Sunday evening headed to the airport, this time I just turned it around and brough it home.

Just now getting back in to town and able to check it again, and viola a small puddle of final drive fluid on the floor. I've had one on the 2000, the CCR return from Salt Lake in on the 2001 and now one on the 2002. How do I get 4, well the previous owner had at least one before I bought it from him.

And before this turns into another fire storm about final drives and getting things right and have a reported it to the NTHSA and put on bmwfinaldrive.com (which is down by the way). It's all reported. And I'm not mad, I'm just reporting the facts, just furstrated the STC is 3 weeks away and this had to happen. :(

Time to contact Curt and see when he's able to get to this one, or if John Z wants a crack at it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, that makes it 3 or maybe it's still 4. It's possible I had two on the first LT.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealership won't even attempt a rebuild. They'd rather just slap on a new one from the factory.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What the problem? Just fix it and keep riding it. Isn't that the mantra around these parts? :confused:

See ya at STC. :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
messenger13_ver2 said:
What the problem? Just fix it and keep riding it. Isn't that the mantra around these parts? :confused:

See ya at STC. :)
That is what I'll be doing. :)

See ya there.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
:stir:
Pot, meet Kettle! :histerica

See, sometimes you just have to wade in, even though you know you shouldn't. :histerica

I know, I know. You just couldn't help yourself. Of all people, I should understand that. :D

Sorry to hear of your trouble, Steve. Hope you get it fixed, well and soon!

Is it mid-April yet???

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final drive rebuilt

After a trip to BMW of Atlanta for parts and a trip to John Zeiler's place, there is final drive ready to go back on the Dragonfly. Thanks John Z, you are DA MAN!!! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts