BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my '09 LT into the dealer for a new front tire while I was in dallas last week. showed up this morning at 8:30 to pick it up, and the mechanic looked at me with a horrified expression and said, " no one called you???"

it seems that he had put the bike on the side stand in the storage area next to the shop, and it "just fell over".

Unfortunately, it fell over onto other motorcycles.

windshield
front nose fairing
trim panel
left side case
rear moulding
left bumper.

over 3k worth of parts from the fiche from what I can tell.

the biggest issue that I have is that no one called me. I had my wife drive me down, and the only reason that she stayed in the parking lot was that she was on a cell call, and does not talk and drive. other than that, I would have been there with no wheels.

it appears that they were attempting to get it fixed before I showed up to pick it up. ("I guess we got caught flat footed...") yes, yes you did.

not a really great way to start the day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ouch!
While the damage is theirs to pay, you will be without a bike for a while as they secure parts....you should ask them to cover the cost of your new tire just for good measure.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If they had fixed all the damage before you showed up, would they have told you about the "accident"? +1 on the free tire.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not that I've ever dropped mine (twice), but having read numerous posts on this subject (as well as having spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express), your damage seems excessive for just a tip-over into other bikes. Is there something someone's not telling?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Demand a loaner and don't let them give some old pile of garbage from the back room

Oh boy Yes things happen but good grief.

mconlogue said:
took my '09 LT into the dealer for a new front tire while I was in dallas last week. showed up this morning at 8:30 to pick it up, and the mechanic looked at me with a horrified expression and said, " no one called you???"

it seems that he had put the bike on the side stand in the storage area next to the shop, and it "just fell over".

Unfortunately, it fell over onto other motorcycles.

windshield
front nose fairing
trim panel
left side case
rear moulding
left bumper.

over 3k worth of parts from the fiche from what I can tell.

the biggest issue that I have is that no one called me. I had my wife drive me down, and the only reason that she stayed in the parking lot was that she was on a cell call, and does not talk and drive. other than that, I would have been there with no wheels.

it appears that they were attempting to get it fixed before I showed up to pick it up. ("I guess we got caught flat footed...") yes, yes you did.

not a really great way to start the day.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Not destined to make you feel any better, Mark - butt if ole Toad ever lays over and does that much damage, I'm hoping and prayin' it'd be at a dealer. Do that in my garage and even lay upside Cheryl's cage, I'd be sleepi..... unhh, --- living ..... in a doghouse. And the dogs'ed be drawin' straws for my side of the bed!!

Sorry it happened to ya, butt I try to see a silver lining! ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious that the OP somehow caused this. Maybe he did his own oil changes or forgot to change the turn signal fluid. Either way it's clearly not the stealers fault.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There is, For lack of a better term a "bulge" in gravity.. It's what causes the tides in the ocean. The Moon passes by and gravity changes...

Objects that are perched close to the teetering point will often fall over as this bulge passes by..

So, really it's not the dealers fault, It's just an act of God..

Don't let the dealer know about this...:rotf:

Sorry to hear about your gravitational incident...

John

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrBreeze said:
Ouch!
While the damage is theirs to pay, you will be without a bike for a while as they secure parts....you should ask them to cover the cost of your new tire just for good measure.

Supposedly, the parts were overnighted in, and the mechanic is working on it tonight to get it fixed...we shall see.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fpmlt said:
Not that I've ever dropped mine (twice), but having read numerous posts on this subject (as well as having spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express), your damage seems excessive for just a tip-over into other bikes. Is there something someone's not telling?

with each big piece of plastic north of 600 bucks each, it adds up pretty quick. No holes, but plenty of deep scratches.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well You right that does suck.

When I took mine in for the first 500 mile service they broke my mirror...I was pretty upset about it ...I wanted to be the one who damaged the first part rofl...I am just glad they fixed the Mirror promptly and apologised like crazy about it

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Mark wrote: snip "it seems that he had put the bike on the side stand in the storage area next to the shop, and it "just fell over"". end snip

The root cause, once again, is obvious to even the most casual observer. Storage area? Sounds like a place where cows go just before slaughter! Relegating the LT to a common "storage area" was just more than than the poor girl could stand. She finally just threw herself to the ground. Prostrated herself in shame, fear and utter humiliation. It's a sad thing when things like this happen.

So sad and so unnecessary. Keeping her on the showroom floor or in a nice clean corner of the shop while she waited to be picked up would have preserved her dignity and prevented the whole issue. This will probably require therapy to get her through this. Find a couple V-twins and horizontal opposed 6's and let her blow them off in the twisties! She'll come around but you might have to repeat the above exercise 2 or 3 times to get the trauma completely behind her.

So sad.......

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What a bummer Mark. I hope that they fix everything just right. I really get my ire up when people don't call or don't return calls. Just had a similar situation with a KAWA dealer on a tire change, but I had taken the wheel, not the bike, to them. They will never see me again, long story.
Best wishes .

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Hey Mark, that is a completely BOGUS story. Basically, after fckng up your bike, they are going to lie about it?! :wtf:

Even as "talented" (read: moron :eek: ) as I am, I can't cause $3k worth of damage by magically pushing her over! Sheesh....:mad:

Carefully inspect the bike when you pick her up to make sure all damage is properly repaired and do business elsewhere. Don't forget to tell the owner why you're not giving him any more of your money!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kra961 said:
Demand a loaner and don't let them give some old pile of garbage from the back room

Oh boy Yes things happen but good grief.

I agree, a loaner would be better than covering the cost of the tire in my books.

Best of luck..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Look at it from a glass-half-full kind of perspective....you may lay down the hard line and demand you walk out without shelling over any clams for the original reason you went there and you walk out with brand new plastic and the knowledge you have them under your thumb. It'd make a great story for a news editorial if they don't see it your way.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Accidents happen, even at the dealership. Put it back the way it was; no harm, no foul.

(Does the paint all match?)

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
Well, that's just kind of crappy. No new advice for you here, just beware that the guys across the street caught one of the techs doing this with your LT:

I'm guessing he screwed up the landing.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
windshield
front nose fairing
trim panel
left side case
rear moulding
left bumper.
Sounds more like it fell off the motorcycle lift . :wave

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Patric said:
Sounds more like it fell off the motorcycle lift . :wave
Or someone at the dealership decided to take it for the lunch run. Something is just too fishy here...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts