BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read just about every post concerning tire pressure. I have tried many different pressures and, generally, run my Metzelers at 48-50 rear and 46 front. But, as I was riding, today, I got to thinking, has anyone tried having more pressure in the front than the rear ? Why is it that we all assume that the rear tire pressure should be greater than the front ? I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything mechanical (My wife doesn't narrow my idiocy down to just things mechanical), and I'm sure there must be a logical reason for having higher pressure in the rear. So, can someone let me know what the reason is before I decide to try it the other way and find myself cartwheeling into the woods ?

Thanks, Roy

·
Registered
225 Posts
The rear is bearing more weight. When riding two up I usually put a little more in the rear than when I ride solo for better handling as reccomended by my BMW shop.

I was running 42F/46R PSI on my Metz 880's but recently dropped it back down after a butt chewing from my BMW shop. I'm back to 36F/42R where I started from and am going to play with that and see how it feels for a couple weeks. I think I like the ride somewhere in between there, but it depends on my load. 36 psi is feeling too squishy for me up front, at least for now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Too much pressure, even by a few PSI, will reduce the available traction of the front tire. You'll feel it slip going around some hard corners, plus you;ll burn the center out before the rest of the tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts