BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will have seen from my postings, I rank among those who have been underwhelmed by the new K1600GTL – as a replacement for my LT. I have said that if I had an RT or a GT I’d probably jump at one. But for me the new bike looses out on my LT’s style, weather protection, integrated luggage, reverse, hydraulic stand, etc, etc. Tom Galvin’s report (see Riding Impressions) confirmed my own suspicions. What it does have though is stunning engine and a 6 speed box which I miss since I changed from my R1200RT. So I wondered if it would be possible to fit the new engine to the old bike to have the best of both worlds (really what BMW should have done in the first place together with a weight reduction program such as they did with the RT1200).
With a little inside help I was able to liberate a new 1600 engine, box and transmission shaft from BMW and I have been beavering away evenings and weekends for the last couple of weeks seeing if I could shoehorn this into the LT. The news so far is that it does fit across the frame and needed only some brackets welded up from angle iron to meet the mounting points. The existing radiator needed to be tilted forward slightly at the top (again a couple of brackets) to get it refitted. I had a friend make up a 6 into 2 into 1 manifold which I ran to the LT exhaust. The transmission shaft locates the rear wheel almost exactly (only a couple of mm’s difference) in the correct place. The wheel itself just turns around to meet the shaft which is now on the left.
I was able to jury rig the ends of the throttle cables to the fuel control unit (if that’s the correct term) to work around the ‘fly by wire’ system and the rest of the wiring and plumbing was straightforward enough. I’ve had the engine running and I must say that sound alone has made it a worthwhile exercise! Hopefully though I’ll get the bike running and see if it’s viable (I don’t understand the science that goes into the chassis engineering, steering rake and all that stuff so handling could be an issue). But as I see it the weights are not that much different and they’re in the same place so it should be ok to my way of thinking. After all, the bike handles despite a wide variety of Rder/Passenger/Luggage loads.
So far I’ve spent about 80 hours on the project and a bit of running around for parts and supplies. Now, I’m left with a few bits and pieces to do, such as getting the gear lever in the right place, and then it’s the big decision – do I perform surgery on the Tupperware? My measurements show that I’d have to cut away the sides to allow the engine to stick out, and unfortunately this is exactly where the tip over protection bars are. I have no problem with that if this is going to work out and it’s a keeper. In fact I think it would look amazing. But if the 1200 has to go back in I’ll be sick. Everything else I’ve done is reversible.
Anyhow, that’s going to be the very last item, then a couple of hours reassembling all the Tupperware and a road test which I’m aiming to do this weekend. If all goes well I’ll do a report and some photos next Monday!

·
Registered
327 Posts
highroamer said:
As some of you will have seen from my postings, I rank among those who have been underwhelmed by the new K1600GTL – as a replacement for my LT. I have said that if I had an RT or a GT I’d probably jump at one. But for me the new bike looses out on my LT’s style, weather protection, integrated luggage, reverse, hydraulic stand, etc, etc. Tom Galvin’s report (see Riding Impressions) confirmed my own suspicions. What it does have though is stunning engine and a 6 speed box which I miss since I changed from my R1200RT. So I wondered if it would be possible to fit the new engine to the old bike to have the best of both worlds (really what BMW should have done in the first place together with a weight reduction program such as they did with the RT1200).
With a little inside help I was able to liberate a new 1600 engine, box and transmission shaft from BMW and I have been beavering away evenings and weekends for the last couple of weeks seeing if I could shoehorn this into the LT. The news so far is that it does fit across the frame and needed only some brackets welded up from angle iron to meet the mounting points. The existing radiator needed to be tilted forward slightly at the top (again a couple of brackets) to get it refitted. I had a friend make up a 6 into 2 into 1 manifold which I ran to the LT exhaust. The transmission shaft locates the rear wheel almost exactly (only a couple of mm’s difference) in the correct place. The wheel itself just turns around to meet the shaft which is now on the left.
I was able to jury rig the ends of the throttle cables to the fuel control unit (if that’s the correct term) to work around the ‘fly by wire’ system and the rest of the wiring and plumbing was straightforward enough. I’ve had the engine running and I must say that sound alone has made it a worthwhile exercise! Hopefully though I’ll get the bike running and see if it’s viable (I don’t understand the science that goes into the chassis engineering, steering rake and all that stuff so handling could be an issue). But as I see it the weights are not that much different and they’re in the same place so it should be ok to my way of thinking. After all, the bike handles despite a wide variety of Rder/Passenger/Luggage loads.
So far I’ve spent about 80 hours on the project and a bit of running around for parts and supplies. Now, I’m left with a few bits and pieces to do, such as getting the gear lever in the right place, and then it’s the big decision – do I perform surgery on the Tupperware? My measurements show that I’d have to cut away the sides to allow the engine to stick out, and unfortunately this is exactly where the tip over protection bars are. I have no problem with that if this is going to work out and it’s a keeper. In fact I think it would look amazing. But if the 1200 has to go back in I’ll be sick. Everything else I’ve done is reversible.
Anyhow, that’s going to be the very last item, then a couple of hours reassembling all the Tupperware and a road test which I’m aiming to do this weekend. If all goes well I’ll do a report and some photos next Monday!
April 1

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I may be a tool. But I ain't no fool...

John

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
highroamer said:
Not fair! You guys in Oz had a head start!

Moderator - you may remove this thread please.
Must be a daft Leprechaun about!

·
Registered
72 Posts
glad at least I had an opportunity to read this! Great Aprils Fools Day entry!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Man - I couldn't wait for your ride report next Monday, so I sold ole Toad yesterday to the panhandler on the corner (he paid cash, btw!!) and am waiting for Stevie Shreeve to let me test ride his new GTL when it comes in to Lone Star. Put my GTL order in yesterday, butt they weren't sure the white sidewall tires request would be honored - sumpthin' about "WTF? Over?"!!! Butt, I'll take black sidewall - no worry. I just hope they don't renege on the fridge in the top trunk, like they did on the '99 LTs! That really burned me when ole Toad showed up sans the fridge, after all the ballyhoo about it being available. Turned out - NOT!! Made me so mad, I took the trunk off; installed a Fort Worth rack; and mounted a 46 quart Igloo cooler back there. Applied for a patent, butt wuz turned down due to Wal-Mart already having vending rights in Asia and the Pacific Rim markets, or sumpthin'!!

Oh well, least the panhandler sez he'll rent ole Toad to me when things get slow on the corner!! ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Everyone knows your not suppose to weld on a BMW Alum frame. Who has the capability to Heat Treat / Stress Relieve your welding job in your garage???

Just Saying LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts