BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice the piece of school dress stuffed into the engine...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Military robot
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Hood Fuel tank

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The fuel hose fell apart when trying to replace the filter. I can't get it on my normal trade terms apparently "because it is genuine BMW". That means that the price to me is £33.60!

Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Auto part Metal
Wood Gas Flooring Pattern Hardwood

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
That is down right nasty!

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is down right nasty!
Sand, I'm told. I don't see how it can even get there. Current owner said that tyres were "full of sand" when he replaced them.

My analysis is that the mess could only happen with her clothes off, but even then, how and what? Fire during a service maybe? It could still have been cleaned up before putting her party frock back on, so I am stumped.

Idle is too high at 1500 plus. Scan of stored faults says "Idle switch, open circuit since ignition on."
I thought that the idle switch was for other functions and the TPS takes care of the idle speed?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
From my notes 5382 : “Idle switch, open circuit since ignition ON" (TVA was unplugged while ignition O N). May be able to clear that and see if it comes back. This is the block that controls the idle. The TPS is a sensor on the end of the throttle shaft.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Idle is too high at 1500 plus. Scan of stored faults says "Idle switch, open circuit since ignition on."
I thought that the idle switch was for other functions and the TPS takes care of the idle speed?
In the context of GS911 and Motronic 2.4 that we have on these, the term "Idle switch" means Idle-actuator - this also called TVA in some technical documents (Throttle Valve Actuator). To be even more specific, the "idle switch" is one circuit (out of 2) of the TVA located at the end of the piston. It is basically just an ON-OFF switch.

There is a feedback mechanism between TPS and TVA via the Motronic ECU. Depending on current RPM, engine temp and other factors, the ECU will send pulses to the internal small motor of the TVA to push on throttle-bodies. The idle is always maintained by TVA, but it is a dumb unit that must receive command from ECU (to push or pull back on throttle).

On the K1200RS-LT platform. almost 90% of the cases of high idle are caused by intake air leaks - rarely would you have to adjust or replace the TVA. The sources of intake air leaks become even higher with aging rubber parts (on top of throttle-bodies and below).

I am familiar with the error message you saw ("Idle switch, open circuit since ignition on").
Unfortunately this does not mean much as it will often appear after having attempted to adjust TPS - let me explain:
  • Using the GS911 interface , you are required to momentarly remove the TVA (3 screws) to finish the TPS base setting.
  • In many cases, the mechanic / user of GS911 will unplug the TVA 4 pins connector during this process
  • since ignition is ON during this process , the ECU will log this error. Hence it is better to clear all engine error codes after setting TPS - best at next ignition ON cycle.

Since you are into electronics, you may want to download this attached PDF document I did a few years ago about the TVA. This is the most recent version as I have also posted earlier version here on this forum:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Did that sit under a pigeon tree undressed for a year? I am with John Z. That is nasty. Maybe it was in a flood but tires full of sand has me stumped unless someone was trying to do a poor mans Dynabeads with some play sand from the kid's sandbox.

Reactions: kbob12 and Scimitar

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did that sit under a pigeon tree undressed for a year? I am with John Z. That is nasty. Maybe it was in a flood but tires full of sand has me stumped unless someone was trying to do a poor mans Dynabeads with some play sand from the kid's sandbox.
Actually, a flood does present itself as a possibility. It is about the only way that sand could flow into those intricate engine areas and may explain the school dress remnants absorbing something.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the context of GS911 and Motronic 2.4 that we have on these, the term "Idle switch" means Idle-actuator - this also called TVA in some technical documents
That information is really useful and your time to provide it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Notice the piece of school dress stuffed into the engine...
The dress was probably to soak up the oil leaking from the crankcase ventilation manifold. You better wear a respirator working on that bike as I’ve never seen so much mold on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you pulled the air filter yet? I bet the air box is filled with crap as well.
All looked fine, bar one dead Crane fly. My guess is that it was all cleaned out. There was a pristine BMW branded air filter fitted and the oil was quite pale, so it had been serviced before sale.
I found lots of screws too tight / too loose / wrong type or in the wrong locations, which told me that it wasn't done by a professional.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All looked fine, bar one dead Crane fly. My guess is that it was all cleaned out. There was a pristine BMW branded air filter fitted and the oil was quite pale, so it had been serviced before sale.
I found lots of screws too tight / too loose / wrong type or in the wrong locations, which told me that it wasn't done by a professional.
So probably not caused by flood. When you look at the dirt all over the frame and other components it looks like a bike that has spent a lot of time on dirt roads. Mine had a little bit of that when I bought it but I cleaned it all up. I can't understand people who would leave that mess. For someone to have serviced it and not cleaned it is inexcusable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to get really pissed at customers that have no respect for the mechanic/technican. I'm old so mechanic, I have seen and smelled cars so bad I could barely roadtest. A district manager for ford one time took unhappy customers Fiesta for roadtest around building only. He brought back inside and ripped the customer in front of everyone for expecting service on a car that smelled that bad. We never seen that healhcare worker/customer again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Customer tells me that is was imported from Saudi Arabia, which is why it has a metric dashboard too. That explains sand, but not how much fine silt has got into its intricate little places. The brake master cylinder hose was "painted" with it but the clutch side was untouched.

The brake fluid I drained was like treacle, brown and thick. That took some cleaning out. Then trying to fit his new hoses (German manufactured) it was found that they fit, but not nicely. In particular, the rear hose needed a twist which it really didn't want to do. I was reluctant to fit it, but the twist required is just on the border of being acceptable. Otherwise I will have it my workshop for another week and I haven't got to the idle control valve yet either.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Customer tells me that is was imported from Saudi Arabia, which is why it has a metric dashboard too. That explains sand, but not how much fine silt has got into its intricate little places. The brake master cylinder hose was "painted" with it but the clutch side was untouched.

The brake fluid I drained was like treacle, brown and thick. That took some cleaning out. Then trying to fit his new hoses (German manufactured) it was found that they fit, but not nicely. In particular, the rear hose needed a twist which it really didn't want to do. I was reluctant to fit it, but the twist required is just on the border of being acceptable. Otherwise I will have it my workshop for another week and I haven't got to the idle control valve yet either.
Ok, this just leaves one more question. What happened to the little girl who was wearing the school uniform.;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We still have a high idle on this bike and I am out of ideas. The throttle closes with a snap as it ought, the spray test around the throttle bodies got no response, the engine temperature sensor appears to be working correctly and there are no stored faults. Idle is around 1500RPM and it can be reduced by turning the throttle grip forwards past the stop. GS-911 reports that the throttle position is returning to a similar value every time, yet the idle can be anywhere from 1000 to 1500 RPM at that throttle position.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The immobiliser keyfob is not required to start the engine and the central locking doesn't work, so it suggests that it has been “modified”. The luggage is all in the locked position, so I imagine that I can power it up with the relevant polarity so that it defaults to unlocked?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Yes you can but the connectors are all under the top case OR you could do the actuators that you can get to like the oddiments box. Top case is under the rear seat while both saddle bags are under the top case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts