BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife decided she doesn't want to ride and I'm thinking of going to a lighter bike like the 1200RT. I have 2K on the odometer. I'm anxious to hear from any of you re the LT vs. RT. Also what do you think is a fair price to ask for the LT.

Thanks.

Billy

·
Registered
718 Posts
I ride solo almost all of the time. I had a 2002 R1150RT in my garage for over a year (my friends) and my 2003 LT. I preferred to ride the LT. The only time I rode the RT was to charge the battery up.

Everyone is different... I missed the creature comforts on the RT, and I found it to be less comfortable. I don't know how the 1200RT would compare.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
35,000 miles on my 05, about 200 with my wife on it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would not trade my LT for an RT and I ride one up. I took the top box off and that helps with the weight and also looks great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an 02 LTC - good bike but a tad nervous at low speed. Though I never dropped it I felt close a couple times so, as I work in a dealership the switch to an RT - 2005 - was easy and not costly. I ride solo mostly.

269 lbs lighter than the LT and at 571 lbs and 110 hp the RT has a more favorable power to weight ratio. I liked the bike and easily recommend one based on 2 years ownership and lots of miles. It is agile and covers ground well.

I'm back on an LT because once experienced it is hard to give up the comfort and all else an LT brings to long road miles. The changes introduced in 2005 resolved the low speed worries so I'm content to wait for whatever BMW replaces the current bike with (and no, I do not have inside info on what that will be :) ).

Fuel economy is about the same between the bikes with the RT maybe a bit more thrifty and service costs are less with the RT. Bottom line make sure your test ride is a long one on familiar roads if you can arrange it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an 03 LTC - good bike but a tad nervous at low speed. Though I never dropped it I felt close a couple times so, as I work in a dealership the switch to an RT - 2005 - was easy and not costly. I ride solo mostly.

269 lbs lighter than the LT and at 571 lbs and 110 hp the RT has a more favorable power to weight ratio. I liked the bike and easily recommend one based on 2 years ownership and lots of miles. It is agile and covers ground well.

I'm back on an LT because once experienced it is hard to give up the comfort and all else an LT brings to long road miles. The changes introduced in 2005 resolved the low speed worries so I'm content to wait for whatever BMW replaces the current bike with (and no, I do not have inside info on what that will be :) ).

Fuel economy is about the same between the bikes with the RT maybe a bit more thrifty and service costs are less with the RT. Bottom line make sure your test ride is a long one on familiar roads if you can arrange it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
461 Posts
I ride 95% of my miles solo, and still prefer the LT. I use it only for trips, and not local running though. My brother has a new RT, and the LT is just much more comfortable on distances.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Everyone has a different take on it, but for me the extra weight actually adds stability on the long road and I quickly got used to it. The LT is my favorite two up and long distance bike. I also enjoy using it for work because of the storage capacity and protection. I was going to get an RT for for solo riding but ended up going with the GS because it was so much more hat said I really enjoy the GS/GSA. For me I have the best of both worlds, the LT and the GS, a bike for whatever need's demand. I'm not sure what kind of riding you do, but I am glad I held on to my LT and got the second bike that was so different. If I were to do it all over again I would of gotten an older GS or GSA, you can get a lot of bike for a little money that way. I went riding with some friends with their dialed on older bikes and quickly realized that my new 07' had nothing on the older models. Anyway get what you can afford and what fits your riding styles. If that means getting two bikes that are a few years old, so be it. I bet you'll be really happy and won't be missing a thing over the newer bikes except the payments! good luck ~dk

Oh, and since you're close by, let me know if you want to go riding!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I got the LT so the both of us could be comphy. Most of my ridding is solo and about the only time my wife rides with me is to go on a trip. I still like the LT even just running through town.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the LT but I am sick of worrying everytime I back it out of a parking place. One wrong move and it will go over.

I do a lot of winter riging and the LT is fabulous for wind resistance. It seems to be from the 2 foldong wings. Does the RT subject the rider to significantly increased wind on the legs?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Billy said:
I love the LT but I am sick of worrying everytime I back it out of a parking place. One wrong move and it will go over.
This complaint most often comes from riders that have shorter legs. The LT has a pretty high saddle, and it can make you feel pretty vulnerable if you can't plant your feet firmly on the ground. If you fit that profile, you might want to consider getting the lower seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never saw the money

Billy,

Did you ever get an answer for the value of your 2006 with 2000 miles? I am in Houston, TX. and am in the same situation. My wife doesn't want too ride anymore and with all of our other activities I think it's time to sell. I have five other bikes so the sport is not lost. I also have a 2006 dark grey with GPS and chrome top rack. Is anyone in Houston interested. It also has around 2000 miles on it, just purchased 3/15/07 brand new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every RT I have ridden needs a seat adjustment. I slide forward regardless of how the seat height adj is set. Sliding forward gets old fast! I've passed on buying an RT for that reason. Last one I rode was an 05. I put about 30 miles on it. That was enough. Maybe the new ones are better. I know seat comfort is a highly personal matter, yet I know this to be a common complaint not just with the RT but throughout the BMW line. My 01 LT box stock right from the factory seat is the first BMW seat that I didn't have to replace. Apparently, with changes in recent years to the LT's seat, it will be the last.
The RT is a great bike, and the seat problem, if it is a problem for you, can be fixed for a price. Just be aware that it might not show itself in a 5 mile test ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just rode the RT and didn't like it very much. I liked the lighter weight but the LT is much more comfortable. I'll probably get an aftermarket seat and stick with the LT for now. As far as what it is worth, they will give me 15,700 on a trade and that would translate to 17,500 retail.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As one who has handled both big boat trailers and big horse trailers, the secret is not to put yourself in a position that you have to back the beast up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Daman858 said:
As one who has handled both big boat trailers and big horse trailers, the secret is not to put yourself in a position that you have to back the beast up.
I thought that was why we had reverse??? I don't use mine very much, but a few times I was sure glad I had it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Billy, i have done allot of thinkin...i will give you my 03' and $500.00 cash money for that sorry ol' 06...hmmm? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
LT vs RT

Billy,

That is a tough question to answer. I have both a 2005 K1200LT and a 1999 R1100RT. There really different bikes, for different type of rides. I like them both for there individual traits. Right now, would not want to give up either of them, even though there is at least 6 bikes in the garage.

Mirage

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an 02 LT with 121,000 + miles on it and I enjoy riding it. About 80% of my riding is solo. I've gotten used to the weight, tho I still can't pick it up when I drop it (4 times in 5 years). The only thing I really don't like is the cost of upkeep. Just brought my bike in for a main seal leak!!! And I'm due for a set of shocks too, tho I am putting that off for as long as I can.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you are looking at selling your bike take a look at the classifieds on this site, that should give you a pretty good idea what a used bike is going for.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts