BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday. I changed the rear drive oil at 14,750 miles. (last time I changed was 4,750 miles) I saw muddy oil (looks like contaminated with steel ball bearing dust) Now I am thinking of getting a spare Final Drive. Am I paranoid or should I go for a spare drive just in case? Is there a good source for Final Drive?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Matt,
Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless:
1. there were chunks in the oil/on the magnet
2. There is play at the rear wheel(hands at 3 & 9 o'clock and push/pull)
I had play (53,000 miles) so we rebuilt it.
Just ride it and check the oil at the changes.
My .02

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I think chunks on the plug would be more of an indication then oil color.

I did mine at 600, and then 3000 and it was pretty dirty looking. Lite fuzz on the plug though so I know what to look for next time.

The above mentioned physical check is good, and also turning the wheel while laying hands on the FD case has also been suggested.

Are you still in warranty?

I obviously am and I still scarfed a FD off flea-bay. 0 miles and I paid 400.00 for it. The guy who does trikes is who I got mine from. I would never trust one unless it was from a trike company, I would buy new first. Just would not chance it because why is it being sold?

The other thing I see suggested is an oil analysis, which would give you the information, but not sure you would get a dealer to change a FD on that alone.

I know gear oil has its own smell, but did it smell of toast :rolleyes:

Anyway with those miles unless there were chunks I would not get too concerned, but I would look at flea-bay for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Moly Oil

Has anyone on the forum heard of using Molyebdenum sulfide (not sure of spelling) additives in the final drive oil I read somewhere that Motoguzzi requires 4 oz of moly oil when the final drive oil is changed. I wrote to the tech editor of a BMW publication and he indicated that he believed most of the FD failures were caused by using a multi viscosity oil in the FD, such as 80-120. He suggested using no broader viscosity than 70-90. He also indicated if I was still worried, I should add a moly oil additive. He claimed over a million miles on BMW bikes between his wife and himself and no FD problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts