BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi looking at buying a spare final drive. will an 2003 drive work in my 2002. was gonna send out & have rebilt & put in inventory live in canada so spares are not to fast to get.was thinking of haveing 1 in stock.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
bobst2 said:
hi looking at buying a spare final drive. will an 2003 drive work in my 2002. was gonna send out & have rebilt & put in inventory live in canada so spares are not to fast to get.was thinking of haveing 1 in stock.
Bikes with a build date after 01/01 will have the same kind of drive. i.e. no hole in the drive housing for the speedometer sensor. Since you have an 02 it is probably the same as an 03 but it would be good to comfirm before you make the purchase.

As far as having a spare drive, lot's of folks have one. My feeling on the matter is that having a preemptive rebuild done and carrying a spare bearing would allow for an "on the road repair" of a failed final drive without removing the final drive from the bike. With a spare bearing on hand, the wheel, brake caliper, brake rotor, and final drive cover can be removed, the failed bearing pulled by any local garage or machine shop, and your spare bearing installed. In many cases, this would be a quicker fix than waiting for you spare to get shipped to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts