BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife rarely rides with me anymore, her back starts giving her a fit after about 30 minutes of riding.

Thinking of trading to a R1200 sized BMW, a little smaller, lighter and still capable of a cross country trip in comfort.

Thoughts, comments? Pro/Con?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I know this is a BMW board, but to mix things up a little go test ride a Ducati Multistrada. I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are a lot more comfy than they look, and extremely capable of going cross-country.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
+1 on the Duc. Sat on one during MotoGP weekend (no rides) seemed comfy enough and well outfitted. More street than a GS but more off road than an RT. Also consider the new GT or GTL. little lighter and much lower balance point. Let us know what you end up with and why.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
When my wife quits riding with me the LT, although I love the bike, is down the road. Same thoughts as you - lighter and faster, but likely not a BMW.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so sure about a Ducati. Took one for a test ride a few years ago, no need for tag/title, if I ever got stopped, not having them wouldn't be much an issue, the ticket book would probably be empty the time they got to those charges.

Now to find someone who is wanting to trade me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not so sure about a Ducati. Took one for a test ride a few years ago, no need for tag/title, if I ever got stopped, not having them wouldn't be much an issue, the ticket book would probably be empty the time they got to those charges.
Oh I hear you...my wife took this pic with her iPhone just south of Redding, CA on our way to Portland in August 2012. She wanted a pic to post for her online friends. All I could foresee was handing my licence over to the lucky CHP officer. Fortunately, that vision never materialized.

btw - there was plenty left.....

Attachments

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Whats the maintenance interval on a Duc?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Minor service (oil, filter, chain cleaning/lube and basic checks) every 7,500 miles. Major service (valves, timing belts, plugs, plus the minor) every 15,000.

Minors are $175 - $275, Majors $800 - $1,000.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Minor service (oil, filter, chain cleaning/lube and basic checks) every 7,500 miles. Major service (valves, timing belts, plugs, plus the minor) every 15,000.

Minors are $175 - $275, Majors $800 - $1,000.
Pretty much like my Triumph and most overhead cam bikes I imagine.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
The Aprilia Caponard just got glowing reviews in the most recent Cycle World. I'm also getting close to selling the LT (same thing…wife doesn't really ride that much anymore and I'm looking for something lighter and more nimble) and I have to say the Aprilia is on my list. Standard equipment includes three engine maps and the optional Travel Pack includes cruise and saddle bags…plus it's about $6K less than a similarly equipped Duc Multistrada.

http://caponord.aprilia.com/en/home.html

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/2...-pack-road-test-review-photos-specifications/

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Did a 500 mile ride day before yesterday. Buddy was riding an older Capanord and he absolutely loves it. He's gone through several bikes of all styles and finally settled on this. His only thought now is to pick up a new model. I've ridden it a little, and it is a very nice bike.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The LT was my first bike, after nearly 70K miles, I now ride a Honda ST 1300 A, there are lots of differences, not all good, but the best is 300lbs lighter, easier slow ride, and quicker. Miss the cruise, and the seat, could ride 11-12 hrs on the LT with stock saddle, but 8 hrs on the ST and I'm done. Have not done long distance since the LT is gone, but don't have time for it either. I have 50K on the ST 95% commuting to work. Have the SENA bluetooth headset, it is awesome, compared to bmw com system, NO WIRES!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I think it was on Dr. Phil that I saw the author of a new book on how to reduce back pain. If I remember correctly his techniques are quite succesfull for many people.

constant pain is horrible!!

Best from t'son
bob

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Even though Kathy still rides with me I bought a 2011 RT to handle both my commute and our long distance rides. I love the lighter weight and smaller width, the latter coming handy splitting lanes, and the power and torque are quite nice.
I was undecided between the Triumph TT and the RT, and the RT won because I always buy used and the TT came out in 2013 so there aren't good deals to be had; add to that the fact that there are still some software issues, etc... to be worked out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts