BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've owned two GWs (1200 and 1500) and two Venture Royales. While I've rented bikes over the last few years, I have not owned one. And I'm getting the urge! I started looking at the Valkyrie and Royal Star, as well as the 1800. A good friend of mine sold his LT and purchased a 1600LT. He said, "You'd love the LT."

So I started researching after looking at his new one. I know *nothing* about these bikes and can't really find much about the standard comfort items. Is there a site that lists all these items (e.g., cruise, plug helmet to helmet communications, etc.)

I've read the first three pages of posts on the forum and frankly was a bit frightened. I've also owned two Range Rovers and did all the work on these myself. Doing the work is not my concern. Getting stuck on a 1,500 mile one-way trip is my concern. My 04 RR was basically a BMW (as many of you no doubt already know). I was stranded too many time, searching the forum to find a workaround to get me going again.

This was never a concern with my Japanese bikes. I road them every day and I was never stranded, putting hundreds of thousands on these bikes.

Do I really need to be concerned?

Thanks, and if I move forward with an LT I'll be on the forum often as I enjoy the company.

Larry

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I had an 03 LT bought used in 05 put 97K miles on it. Never left me stranded. Worse thing on mine was a slipping clutch that gave me plenty of warning.

I remember Lurking here before I decided to buy. I almost didn't because of the posts. But had I let it deter me I would have missed out on 8 great touring years. In the mean time I have been stranded twice in two different cars in New Mexico on two different trips. Remember people tend to post problems not I rode and nothing happened today. Also note the community's willingness to help out.

Stop thinking and buy it.;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
No bike is immune to breakdowns. No bike I've ever ridden makes me feel the way I do on my LT. It's not like getting married, no life long commitment, no ugly divorce if you decide you don't like it, its a motorcycle, you buy it, you ride it, you sell it if you decide it isn't for you. If you have the opportunity to experience the LT, don't pass it up. If you are looking at an 2001, see if it has brembo on the disk calipers, means it is an early model, and doesn't have the linked brake system, which I prefer. There are so many features on the LT, that it just takes a bit to figure them all out. Just imagine your (ex) goldwing with all the extra features you could add to it, thats the LT standard stuff. I had a GL1800, not a bad bike, but to me kind of boring. so I "divorced" it, and got the LT, made me realize the excitment I had been missing on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This site makes owning a LT doable even with the inherent problems but I'd have to admit I wouldn't have owned one if I'd read this forum first. Lucky for me that I hadn't. With your wrenching skills and the support of these guys you'll be fine and you'll enjoy the LT a lot. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. All this is reassuring.

Do they have the aux port for the iPhone? I assume it has helmet-to-helmet communications (wired?).

I see some with GPS. Is this a BMW GPS system or something else? Easy to update maps (I live in a very fast growing area)?

Are there specific recalls that I need to check?

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Buying an LT is similar to buying Festool Tools.
They are twice as expensive as anything else.
I have never looked back.
The biggest pain was making the decision to spend the money, after that I was an instant convert.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This site makes owning a LT doable...QUOTE]

Ditto. I bought my '01 one year ago today with 73k miles. Today I rolled over 101k and have never been stranded, nor do I worry about it. This is a complicated bike in some ways, but compared to the GW and VR that you're familiar with, this is way more fun, and way more comfortable at the same time... Just do it!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We retired my 2002 K1200LT with 85,391 miles on the odometer because we bought a new R1200RT. I bought the LT with 40,000 miles on the odometer in the fall of 2008. So far as I know the previous owner had no problems and he kept meticulous records (and is a member here, which I found out AFTER I bought it from the dealer). I performed my own services and learned A LOT. I did have 2 brake hoses leak at two different times and I replaced them and bled the system. I am no mechanic or engineer. But in the big scheme of things I can deal with that with rubber lines exposed to the elements for 10+ years. Last month the large bearing failed in the final drive but I was near a dealer and had just arrived at my Dad's in FL. Again, a bike with 85,000 miles. Because I noticed the issue and took care of it, the repair (even at a dealer) was relatively quick and inexpensive with a $400 estimate with parts and labor.

I have never regretted owning the K1200LT. We put many worthwhile miles on her.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I bought a used '02 with 3K miles in 2004. In 150,000 miles it never left me stranded. Trouble-free? No, a leaky engine main seal ruined the clutch, and a leaky brake hose were inconveniences, but not "park-it-now" problems. (Stainless steel brake hoses should be a priority.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments.

Here are two dumb questions:

Do the trunks of these bikes have a quick release or something to remove them?
Similarly, do the side bags?

Larry

·
Premium Member
812 Posts

Larry
Nope!:(

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Larry
The trunk can be removed with some light wrenching. But there is also wiring involved for the speakers, audio controls, powerlet plug, heated back rest and brake light in luggage rack (if equipped). But there's no rack underneath it. So far as I know there is no easy way to remove the side cases and they are part of the body work.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The Top box (trunk) is fairly easy to remove. the liner is held in with Velcro, pull it out and then remove the four bolts holding it on. Slide it back a bit and undo the electrical connections. The downside is the pillar backrest and rear speakers go with it.

As far as the saddle bags go your pretty much stuck with them unless you like the look of bare frame, wires, tubes, etc.

Would the kind of be steam-punk?:D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Took a nice ride today on the LT...actually still on the ride. Sitting at the Coffee Cottage right now. 50,000 miles, no stranded ... No big issues. I had to fix the cruise control once. Every thing else I've ever done was preventive Maint (tires & fluids). Best bike I have ever had.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The LT looks terrible with the side cases removed... However the top case is doable.
Sorry about the crappy picture.
(The wiring disconnects are under the Pillion seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If you are not into any wrenching, buying an older LT might be an expensive proposition. If you don't have a BMW dealer close it will also be frustrating.

If you want to do your own maintenance the '01 LT will probably be a good investment. All the features on that '01 are what new M/C riders are looking for today in most of the touring or high end models.

All the info you will need to do your own maintenance is here on this site. There are lots of people that want to help and more importantly they are just jammed with expertise for every repair. They are available for consult with just a few clicks of the keyboard.... :D

I've owned a Venture Royal and a GL1500 and IMHO they can't hold a candle to the LT. I owned each, the Royal for 7 years , the GL for 10 and the LT for 12 years. The riding experience is much much better on the LT. With both the Royal and the GL a repeating 400+ mile day was a task. With the LT, I can repeat 500+ mile days for a month and be disappointed the trip was over.... The LT is much more like the Venture than the GL. The only thing the LT lacks is the low speed grunt. Fortunately the LT likes to dance in the twisties and shifting and throttle twisting adds to the fun.

As far as getting stuck there is no way you can predict wether or not you will get stuck on a trip. However, if you do the wrenching yourself, do the required maintenance when needed, you will know the machine and more importantly know what to look out for so you don't start on a trip with a problem that could sideline you.

You have a distinct advantage because you have a good 'BMW' friend that owned an LT that can help you with your choices. :cool:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The owner of the bike I'm looking at (has 69k on it) says, "I bought the bike a little over a year ago in Illinois. We rode it from Decatur to Green Bay and back. Then I had it shipped down to our home in Houston."

He has no maintenance records, doesn't know how many other owners of the bike there were and only changed the oil and rear brake line.

The price seems good, but it seems I would need to change all the fluids, the fuel/AC filter, probably do the springs/shocks (and steering damper) when I have the tank off, replace the rest of the brake lines, rear diff fluid, the weep hole and upgrade the headlight to HID.

Obviously, that's a lot of time and and about $3,000 in parts (if I'm researching right).

Would you guys agree with what should be done?

What do you give for a bike like this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My advice is to stop reading and start riding. I own an '00 Valk Interstate and love the torque and power. The looks at a red light don't hurt either. But for handling and one/two up cruising I don't think you can beat the K.

If I had paid attention to all the Valk forums and their postings about CV and rear spline problems, leaking fuel shut-offs that lead to hydrolock, ignition switch failures, etc., I would never owned one of the best bikes ever made.

I have only owned my K for about three months but I love it. And regardless of what fails or how expensive it is to maintain/repair.....it's still a lot more fun, far less trouble and a boat-load less money than any of my ex-wives.

Hope you buy and ride one.......

Reactions: Leboyd

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just get one, best bike ever made. I had a GW and sold it to get my 2000LT. mine had 60K on it and I put 8K on it in the last 4 months. Did my first SS1000.
The way they ride, cornering, the comfort on the long long rides, etc. They are just a great bike. I have not regretted my purchase for one single second.
I need to do the oil seal this winter, new rear tire, I want new brake lines (SS), and I am going to do new filters and in tank hose just because. All bikes need love, I am happy to love on this LT.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts