BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for much more riding, so perhaps some reading about the effects of alcohol on riding would be helpful. According to this article, 69% of all accidents are alcohol related. This is an older article, but still very pertinent. Here are some gems:

"A lot of people believe that if you're drunk you have a greater chance of avoiding injury in a crash. The myth is that you're more relaxed and able to roll with the punches. The reality is quiet the opposite extreme. According the American Association for Automotive Medicine, which detailed data from over 1,000,000 crashes, the drinking driver is more likely to suffer serious injury or death compared to the non-drinking driver. "In any given crash, alcohol increases the vulnerability to injury."
Another paper from the University of Washington found while investigating motorcycle accidents where head injuries were involved, "The protective affect of helmet use was lost on the intoxicated group, who sustained head injuries twice as frequently. The mortality following the critical head injury was twice as high among intoxicated patients (80-percent vs. 43-percent)".

A USC-released study which investigated 900 motorcycle accidents in the Los Angeles area also found you are much more likely to die from your injuries when you've been drinking, helmet or not. Four-percent of the non-drinking riders were killed as opposed to 21-percent of those who had been drinking. "The difference is statistically significant. Drinking riders who crashed were about 5.6 times as likely to die as non-drinking motorcyclists involved in an accident.""

The full article is here: http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/riding_drunk/

Cheers!

Not.

·
Registered
820 Posts
on easter friday i rode to undara
http://www.undara.com.au/
on the way the police pulled me up for a RBT (randon breath test - check for alcohol)
i laughed at them and said "i will glady give you a breath sample,but do u really think i would be silly enough to get drunk and try and ride a motorcycle or better yet ride *THIS* motorcycle drunk considering the sheer size & weight of it"

Of course i passed the test & the Policeman thanked me and asked many questions about the bike before he left.

But seriously, you would have to be a total nutcase to drink and then even *THINK* about riding the LT wouldnt you???

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wellll, 69% of those who have accidents couldn't do what you and I wouldn't think of doing!

Our nearest to similar volcano tubes are quite recent...as few as 2000 years ago in central Idaho. Although ours is a national park, it is not something that looks like it would be very appetizing as a theme park! Somewhat connected to Yellowstone geologically. http://www.nps.gov/crmo/home.htm

·
Registered
713 Posts
I do NOT advocate drinking so much as 1 drink then driving BUT!!!!

That 69% is such a BS number from the very fringes of reality....Example: If you drink a beer or two and have a BAC of say 0.03 and are sitting at a street light behind a car and the idiot coming up behind you on the cell phone runs into you that is recorded as a alcohol related accident,, now that is stupid..The beer had NOTHING to do with the accident... So to me stats are just stats,, something people manipulate one way or another to prove their point..........Regards Pete

·
Registered
314 Posts
petepeterson said:
I do NOT advocate drinking so much as 1 drink then driving BUT!!!!

That 69% is such a BS number from the very fringes of reality....Example: If you drink a beer or two and have a BAC of say 0.03 and are sitting at a street light behind a car and the idiot coming up behind you on the cell phone runs into you that is recorded as a alcohol related accident,, now that is stupid..The beer had NOTHING to do with the accident... So to me stats are just stats,, something people manipulate one way or another to prove their point..........Regards Pete

If you torture the data long enough it will admit to anything! I doubt that the injury rate has anything to do with susceptibility due to alcohol, as the quote suggests...it's more likely that drunks get into worse crashes than sober riders and therefore suffer more extensive injuries. My guess is that Pete has a valid point to some extent but his scenario would likely water down the injury rate...not make it look worse. Besides, 83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts