BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as I stop looking at the other ones and nothing new comes out, I found a great GPS unit. Small, preloaded, MP3 player, built-in FM transmitter........ I could go on & on. Here's the link for the unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N6wPWX...sp?g=270650&id=essential_info&i=550IW350C#Tab
It's not available until 11/11 but that's not far away.
Anyone looking for a new GPS really should take a look at this one!
Ed

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Just remmember that 4MB of memory, that you have to share with maps, will not give you that much of MP3 files. You do have the Flash Cards to carry more songs and that should help.
Let us know how is the mapping and for me, the track logs are important. I would like to know if you can save track logs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
strsout said:
Just remmember that 4MB of memory, that you have to share with maps, will not give you that much of MP3 files.
I would like to know if you can save track logs.
The internal memory is 4-gigabyte hard drive, not a 4 mb. I agree 4mb is nothing. I called Lowrance and they didn't have much info on the unit yet, either. My question was about the flash media card and what type it uses. You can now get up to 8 gig media cards so that would be plenty. As soon as the unit is released I will be able to give you more info.
Not to use Crutchfield as a rental store, but anything they sell comes with a 30 day "any reason" return policy. They also give you prepaid return slips on shipping if you need them. Add to that the free shipping and this is a great offer.
Ed

·
Registered
836 Posts
Be careful of the Hard Drive. In the past, Lowrance and others didn't recommend the hard drives for bikes due to vibration and shock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
drmajor said:
Be careful of the Hard Drive. In the past, Lowrance and others didn't recommend the hard drives for bikes due to vibration and shock.
Not completely accurate. The iWay 500c comes with a motorcycle handlebar mount. I would say that that would constitute a recommendation... ;)

I have about 3000 miles on mine so far. I know that isn't a lot but I haven't noticed any issues.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi
Is it waterproof though? I can't find anything in Specs that says it is, or it isn't. Living in Scotland and travelling in Europe I need something that is almost submersible, same as my current SPIII. I like the sound of 4GB storage over my rather limited 256KB over 2 memory cards. So sounds like a future buy, depending on weatherproofing and available mounts Etc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Possible alternative...

If you like the look of the that TomTom, take at this cycle specific model! :)

I like it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Bookmarked and signed up for news! Let's just hope the price is right...
Crutchfields usually sells everthing at full retail.
There is a couple places that are advertizing the 350c for under $420 (Pre-sale). I bet some will sell them for under $400.

Looks like a nice GPS/MP3

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Not a problem. . My lowrance has probaly 10,00+ miles on it and the hard drive has made no complaints. Let's not forget that their primary market has been making devices for marine use and boats transmits a hell of lot more shocks and bounce that a motorcycle

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
azsidewalker said:
Crutchfields usually sells everthing at full retail.
There is a couple places that are advertizing the 350c for under $420 (Pre-sale). I bet some will sell them for under $400.

Looks like a nice GPS/MP3
But a wise man once said,"The best price does not always bring the best value".
I've dealt with Crutchfield since 1990 and they've always taken care of me. I've cashed in a few hundred $$$ worth of referral points and they've even gone as far as swapping out something defective 5 months after their part of the warranty was over. Plus there's always something good at a discount on their scratch and dent stuff.
I have a good relationship with them and don't mind helping them make a profit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts