Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ego equitare, timo ego sum
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't life interesting...

All is well in your little world, and then one day, you discover that your favorite BMW site's overlords are reading and deleting you Private Messages; something that never happened before Verticalscope.

I've been a Member/Moderator/Administrator here for Years. And I'll bet you that this post will disappear as soon as Verticalscope reviews it.

Y o u R i d e . u s Here I come, actually already there, as are many of the long-term members here.

Come on over, you won't regret it.

·
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also interesting that of the 9000 + posts I've contributed here, all but a handful are gone, but the post count keeps ratcheting up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Newby here, tell me more about this deleting of PM's. That is not what I signed up for here. I was told this is a friendly place with tons of info about my BMW. :confused:

·
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newby here, tell me more about this deleting of PM's. That is not what I signed up for here. I was told this is a friendly place with tons of info about my BMW. :confused:
There are one hell of a lot of Great folks here, and deep bench of knowledge on the BMW brand of bikes.

That said, while it's still a viable community and has value to members, Verticalscope seems to think they are the NSA, and have the right to read edit/delete Private Messages between members/moderators/administrators.

How do we know this? Good question.

I, and many others, receive an email when we receive a PM on this site.
You then log in to find the PM missing.

The email contains the message entered in the PM, so it was created, sent and received. The reception of the PM is what triggers the email from the site.

Only Administrators have the system rights to delete/edit PMs.

Verticalscope staff are the Administrators; I'm just a legacy administrator with almost none of the original admin rights and capabilities I've had for over a decade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well that is very disturbing to hear. I was looking for a place to make friends & learn about my bike. Looks like this may not be the place for me. I'll need to read a little more & see what I think.

BTW I do see you show over 9800 post in your count but could only find 217 +-

Are you saying someone here removed all the other post?

·
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that is very disturbing to hear. I was looking for a place to make friends & learn about my bike. Looks like this may not be the place for me. I'll need to read a little more & see what I think.

BTW I do see you show over 9800 post in your count but could only find 217 +-

Are you saying someone here removed all the other post?
Yes, the number of total posts listed should all be available to the membership.
Trouble is, when you click on my Name and go to my profile, you will see this:

Total Posts: 9,855
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Find all posts by DaveDragon
Find all threads started by DaveDragon

If you click on the links, you will see that there are only ~233 post now.

Someone, with System Level Access to the post database, has deleted them.

Interesting, no?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Reminds me of why we left Yahoo Groups way back. Yahoo deleted all the technical data and posts over a year old. Pissed the group off terribly, so the move away happened, eventually to the much better group it became when overseen by our own gurus and administrators who did a super hero job for years.

When the present people (now jerks) took over things started going down hill fast. The loss of years of great technical information we had in the Hall of Wisdom was ridiculous, now this? Sad day indeed.

Reactions: DaveDragon

·
Registered
23 Posts
No Not Interesting, It is Disturbing as I said before.
I do want to thank you for your honisty about how this site is run. It does make me worry about what would happen to a new person like me if I say the wrong thing.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
OK site owners and administrators, I'm thinking you have one chance - executed quickly - to make this right, with an explanation.

I received the PM also. When I logged in, it wasn't there.

I say let the market decide - free enterprise, as it were. If this continues to be a site worthy of participation, then it will be. Don't be afraid of competition. If there are other sites that people go to for the sake of their shared community, they will exist, also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man looks like this problem goes a lot deeper then it looks like. I now wonder how many PM's really got deleted. That just seams like bad business to me. I've been on many different forums, car , truck ,bikes even lawnmower racing but have never seen anything like this. I'm afraid to even say much more as I do not want to be kicked off or banned or what ever it is this company does to you. I think I'll just shut up & go away. That is a shame to as it looked like a lot of very knowledge people are here with lots of info. Good luck everyone. :wave

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
OK site owners and administrators, I'm thinking you have one chance - executed quickly - to make this right, with an explanation.

I received the PM also. When I logged in, it wasn't there.

I say let the market decide - free enterprise, as it were. If this continues to be a site worthy of participation, then it will be. Don't be afraid of competition. If there are other sites that people go to for the sake of their shared community, they will exist, also.
It was there. I read it, it was gone later.:(

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I don't get it. What is wrong with telling people about another site. Most of us use multiple sites. I see nothing in the rules that says this is an exclusive relationship.:confused:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I don't get it. What is wrong with telling people about another site. Most of us use multiple sites. I see nothing in the rules that says this is an exclusive relationship.:confused:
I agree - this is total, 100% BULLSHIT. I can go back and see threads that Forum Members (for instance, Andy, or Katnapinn), FRIENDS I've known for years have simply disappeared from, after I had commented on their posts. I can't find any posts anywhere from either.

So the Forum here is free to take my $$ and then decide whom I get to associate with?

All because they were supposedly talking about another site?? WTF?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Send a payload in one of those PM's, Louis, err I mean Dave...

My posts and PM's seem intact, although everything is gone before 2008.

Reactions: DaveDragon

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Isn't life interesting...

All is well in your little world, and then one day, you discover that your favorite BMW site's overlords are reading and deleting you Private Messages; something that never happened before Verticalscope.

I've been a Member/Moderator/Administrator here for Years. And I'll bet you that this post will disappear as soon as Verticalscope reviews it.

Y o u R i d e . u s Here I come, actually already there, as are many of the long-term members here.

Come on over, you won't regret it.
Wow, this site is really starting to suck.

I don't need/want a facebook look-a-like.
There is a thread on here asking how we like the new format. Can't reply to it as I
don't have the authorization to do so.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, this site is really starting to suck.

I don't need/want a facebook look-a-like.
There is a thread on here asking how we like the new format. Can't reply to it as I
don't have the authorization to do so.

Dan Martin
Can you point me to that thread? I would like to know what it says.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.