BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, something different. A ride report over many years. Then and now. Standing where the photographer stood many years ago. I didn't always get it right... rushed pics, different lens, and other excuses, but hey, there was always a bike pausing nearby or idling underneath! They do, or can, cause moments of reflection.

The mining community of Apex in the late 1800's, having a 4th of July parade...

Apex today, a semi-ghost town about five miles NW of Central City...

Bonanza, as in "It's a bonanza boys!" flared when a rich gold vein was discovered nearby. President Ulysses S. Grant visited upon reports Bonanza could be the next Leadville...

The gold was mined and fires swept through the close proximity structures (A common fate of many frontier towns... wood heat, wood structures, no 911)...

Tracks were laid over the Boreas Pass summit to haul ores from Leadville to Denver...

The tracks were pulled up in the 1930's, and in the 1950's a road was placed on the old rail bed. Riding friend Rick cheesily agreed to place himself where the train was...

The Cathedral Spires along the North Fork of the South Platte...

Two rails then, two wheels today...

The pastoral Dedisse Ranch above Evergreen...

That pastoral Bear Creek above would turn demonic when its raging waters would crash through towns below after heavy rains. The dam creating Evergreen Lake had me off to the side for the "now" pic...

The Bradford Junction community in the late 1800's would gather at this ranch for all things social... dances, celebrations, etc. Perhaps this was a July 4th gathering. Bring your best attire was often the unstated rule...

Today, busy U.S. 285 passes by the same place near the town of Conifer. Had the elevated highway not been present, could have relocated for a better comparison...

Gold Hill is the location of one of Colorado's earliest gold strikes. An image from around 1890...

In a way, not a lot has changed. Well, there are more trees... less need to cut down the nearby woods for structures and heat. Colorado's oldest continuously operating school is here. The massive Four Mile wildfire of September 2010 licked the edges of the town off to the left, but a valiant firefighting effort spared the historical buildings. If you have a BBQ sandwich at the general store, a pot bellied stove is a main source of the heat and the bathroom is about the size of your coat closet...

A thrilling road just for owners of new fangled cars was built above Golden around 1920...

Today the Lookout Mountain road thrills for owners of two wheeled transportation devices. The sun kindly obliged and a rider was caught just in time on the far left...

Marshall Pass about 70 years ago...

And today...

Narrow gauge trains/rails were used 100 years ago because, well, they were narrow and could squeeze between canyon walls and rivers. Denver passengers often took weekend trips into the mountains on these trains. Not far from Buffalo Creek...

The aptly named Peterhead Rock today. Could have climbed higher for a more accurate "now" image, but I risked life and limb just getting this high!

An 1890's hacked out road just south of Ouray...

Today's famed Million Dollar Highway...

Cripple Creek and Victor pumped out so much gold, the amount was greater than the California and Alaska gold rushes combined. Back then Victor had a population of 5,000...

Today about 400 call Victor home. Most downtown structures are empty...

·
Registered
912 Posts
That was one tremendous work of art!

I am totally impressed.

Bill

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Very cool thanks for taking the time to first set up all the shots & also to take the time to post it here for all to enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very neat!

CO is one of my favorite places to ride, and your pics help show why.

You mentioned it once, but it's interesting how consistently there are a lot more trees today. I would guess that the use of them for fuel is the biggest differentiating factor.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Outstanding...it appears to me that feat wasn't just a 5 minute task. Great set of pics. Thanks. :wave

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work and sharing. The interesting thing is that most of the now pics show the area turned back to the land instead of expansion that I expected. Of course a few show the roads are now paved but for the most part.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Just makes me even more anxious for my CO trip this summer! Can't wait...can't wait...

Aside - this would make a good thread topic - before and after pics of your favorite ride.

Where did you dig up the before pics?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kind thoughts all. Gino... check out Google or Bing, searching on something like "historical photos salida california", or for an area you are interested in. Find an old pic or two holding an interest, print them out, then bring them with you to see if you can stand where the photographer stood a long time ago. Can be quite the hunt for some of them. Fun too.

For me in a way, it is a ride report developed over many years, and will continue to probably unfold as I use the great two wheeled thang to deliver other kinds of memories and adventures. Reflections do happen with me, especially when I see people from the past, as if then was their time on the great stage of life, and now we're up on the stage before our act closes. May we say our lines well and with gusto.

A few more...

In the late 1800's the townsite of Tarryall, on the magical Tarryall Road (County 77 - Park County) sprang to life with nearby gold and silver deposits... but it wasn't a long "sprang". The town also went by the unflattering name of "graball". Guess the merchants, tradesmen, middlemen, etc. charged or took whatever they could from the miners. The nearby county seat was named "Fairplay" because we "play fair" with the miners. The "garden spot" of Tarryall in the 1880's...

A riding friend and I wandered all over the place trying to find the location of the above...

The Hartsel hotel...

I pulled over here unplanned, remembering I had seen a photo of this location, but didn't have the old pic with me. Had to guess. What isn't seen/known, is the temps were 10f when I paused for this single pic, freezing the digits when the gloves off! Came pretty close. I learned the '07 R12GSADV's temp gauge stops displaying at 14f, then springs back to life when temps climb above 14f!...

Back when inmates were sentenced to "hard labor", the nearby residents at the Canon City State Prison constructed this amusement park like road called Skyline Drive.

I found the photo above after taking the photo below. If ever in the Canon City area, ride this thing. The one way road with its blind rises will leave you with your stomach in your throat if you gas it a bit!

Downtown Steamboat Springs 1945...

Now if I could have climbed to the second floor of the store behind me I could have come a bit closer!...

Berthoud Pass almost 100 years ago, 1915...

It is a gorgeous riding pass, in more ways than one...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
This was an incredible post. THANKS for sharing it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's going to be my next big trip. Hopefully this fall. I'll have to keep the LT on the pavement, so I won't see it all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am heading out again to ride Colorado in June (well Santa Fe, NM up to Montana and around , and these pictures are getting me even more psyched. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Once again, a home run. No, a grand slam! Very cool, very entertaining, very thought-provoking.

I found myself scrolling back and forth between each pair of old vs. new photos, to see how things have changed. It was neat to see how many old buildings survived - not just the big commercial structures, but some individual houses and barns. Here's an example: in Bradford Junction, that barn with two cupolas is either the same structure (well-preserved), or they built one just it like years later. Another of the town photo-pairs has a log home on the right side of the street; it's still there today.

Thanks. :clapping:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great job!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone, Nice sentiments. As we know, the bikes we ride have a way of inimitably delivering special memories.

Another batch...

The well attended Boulder Falls in Boulder Canyon with well attended to men sitting still for the cam...

The Falls were closed to stabilize the rocks and hillside behind me, so I looked left and right and snuck in for a pic with no one present...

Platoro was a flare and fade mining community in deep southern Colorado...

Today, it mostly sees residents in the summer. If you have a DS bike, while not observable in this pic, the South San Juan Wilderness abounds in all directions. Forest Road 250 winds through it all, and it is a truly magical place that will put you in a I-have-no-words-to-say trance...

Russell Gulch is another boom and bust town. During boom times over a thousand lived here...

Today during bust times it is hardly populated with people, but it is populated with old and empty and small miners cabins...

If you hopped off the train in St. Elmo in 1878, this is how you might have been greeted...

If you rode in today...

And after walking through town and looking back in 1880...

And doing the same today...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really Enjoyed this and may do something in the UK of a similar nature and post it on here :D

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Simply GREAT !!

Thanks for sharing your work. As a few said, I loved scrolling back and forth to see the changes and also what remained the same.

·
Registered
912 Posts
And since I am off to the RA meeting at Copper Mt. this June, I ordered the book from Amazon today. Thanks again. What a tribute to the stability of old black & white prints and to still photography in general

Thanks again for all you work.

Bill

1 - 20 of 85 Posts