BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting topic on another forum, I thought I'd post it here.

How many of these roads have you ridden??

I've done 8 of them that I know of 2,3,4,7,10,15,79,81

I could have possibly ridden on some of the other ones and just not known it.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?s=75

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I've got 7 out of the top 10, and many of the others. :bike:

Although I'd probably rank them a bit differently . . . :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to add #16 the hellbender!

·
Registered
560 Posts
20 out of 100. Half of the top ten. Thanks for the posting the link!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanx for the link. I have been on twenty three of them, since my first BMW in 1970. 2,3,5,6,10,11,18,19,28,29,31,43,45,62,63,67,68,76,80,83,86,89,92. Going to try for more in a year or so when I finally retire for good.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I guess I am the least traveled.
Just casually perusing I only came up with 5 all of which were in the BRP and Dragon areas.
Some could be added like parts of route 66 and US 60 from Charleston WV. Going thru the list could be much easier if they were coded by state of area. I have been in 18 states and only 16 with the LT and 36 by auto(where I have seen many nice roads I wish I had rode). Nice topic.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've done 6 of the Top 10 ... glad to see that my beloved Cherohala Skyway is #4. I definitely don't agree with their #1 pick. :confused: BTDT ... it's good, but not even close to MY Top 10. And I have to mention their #10 spot. Skyline Drive??? Really??? Sure, it's scenic. But ... I guess my criteria sure is a bit different than theirs. ;)

meese said:
Although I'd probably rank them a bit differently . . . :cool:
Amen Brother! :)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The number one "RANKED" road (BTW the sisters are fun to ride :rolleyes ;) ) is not the BEST "Rated" Road. There are many in the list "rated" better. To me the list is a bit off. I have been on about 20 of the 100.

·
Registered
482 Posts
3,5,8,10,11,12,15,36,43,51,62,64,67. A lot of roads are missing from that list that should be on it, and there's a lot of roads on it that shouldn't be. Still, a fun list to look at and see where you've been.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
katnapinn said:
The number one "RANKED" road (BTW the sisters are fun to ride :rolleyes ;) ) is not the BEST "Rated" Road. There are many in the list "rated" better....
There's a rally in Camp Wood, Texas named after the Three Sisters, which revolves around this route, the first weekend in May. I think I'll go, so I can see what all the fuss is about. I can then cross this route off the list. :cool:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
bikerj said:
There's a rally in Camp Wood, Texas named after the Three Sisters, which revolves around this route, the first weekend in May. I think I'll go, so I can see what all the fuss is about. I can then cross this route off the list. :cool:
The sisters are much like the dragon as far as traffic goes. The week ends you will have endless parades of HD's & Sport Bikes. I only ride them if I can do it on a week day. I'll be riding parts of them next week (Thursday) on my way to Big Bend. :bike:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills certainly belong on this list .

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ChiefMn said:
Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills certainly belong on this list .
you should make that recommendation to them. Never know. There's probably a bunch of subscribers there who would agree with you. :clapping:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I got #33 Mexican Hat to Bryce Canyon, this last October. Great road and the night before was a snow, sleet night with HARD winds. Made it but is was not as enjoyable as I would have liked because of the weather.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ibbones said:
I got #33 Mexican Hat to Bryce Canyon, this last October. Great road and the night before was a snow, sleet night with HARD winds. Made it but is was not as enjoyable as I would have liked because of the weather.
Was that the reason it was ranked #33 and not higher? too many people making the trip in October? ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
ibbones said:
You hit the nail on the head.
Weather has everything to do with it. Just like the perfect storm. Not too hot and not too cold nice sky, beautiful scenery, rolling hills and curves, no or limited traffic. Now we have a road that goes on the list. Next!
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
820 Posts
1, 2,3,4,8, 10, 11, 12, 18, 23, 25, 30, 33, 36,37, 43, 44, 45, 63----only 81 to go!

Have to see how many I can add before 2013 closes out.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Nice list for future reference, I've done 9 of the top ten,
didn't know about California Hwy 36 (#8)

Like what's already been said I would have rated them different,
Three sisters are interesting but not the top roads in our great nation,
according to the list it got it's #1 rating by 73 riders,
that doesn't even account for one days worth of bikes.

Skyline drive # 10 got it's rating from only 14 riders,
I'm sure there are at least 14 motorcycle riders that like 35mph speed limits
and over zealous law enforcement,
but I'm certainly not one of them,

I haven't looked at all of them yet so I'm not sure how many of the list I've been on,
whatever the number is it's not enough, :bike:

the rest of them are on my "bucket list"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts