BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
So I emailed Markus Schramm at BMW Motorrad [[email protected]] and got the following reply:

Perhaps a door has opened, my suggestion now is that everyone who has issues can forward them direct to a boss even if it is just to confirm you are having the issues I demonstrated in the video.

The more we shout the louder the noise......................

Jann Kirchhoff (BMW Motorrad Connected)

10.06.2021, 19:00 OESZ

Dear David,

Markus Schramm just forwarded me your E-Mail. Thanks for getting in touch and for sending over the video.

We already opened a ticket with our support team but need some more information to proceed

Could you please provide: current software verison of your TFT display; current app version you're using; current Android version of your phone.

From the video we saw that you're using a SENA SRL and A Samsung Galaxy S20 - can you please confirm that?

Thanks and regards,

Jann

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hold down on the App Store icon, which brings up a mini menu - select updates (or open the App Store app and then click on your photo top right of the screen to bring up your account), drag the screen down to refresh and it should show all available updates for your phone - select individual or update all.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have an Android phone and Play Store says the app is up to date - 3.1.1 28 April.

Steve P

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the latest 'conversation' with BMW. Frustratingly they keep asking for the same info and telling me to try the same thing (despite me telling them that these things don't work).
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.
The new versions of the BMW Motorrad Connected App (2.2 and higher) are designed to be used with Android 8 and higher. This is due to software components used that do not work with Android 7 or lower. If your mobile phone runs with Android 7 or lower there are two options in our view:
  • update the Android operation system of your mobile phone to version 8 or higher (if possible)
  • switch to a mobile phone that runs Android 8 or higher
In our view the problems mentioned are probably caused by the energy-saving modes of your mobile phone (see Don’t kill my app!). Please note that some individual settings will be resetted in case of an update of Android. Please make shure, that the settings are made correctly.
Then check
  • that the app has permanently access to your location (Settings > Location > Always).
  • that the app is allowed to run in background (Settings > Apps > Connected (Motorrad) > Battery > Allow Background Activity)
If a change in the settings of your mobile were necessary please start the app again.
Finally we ask you to reset the Connectivity/TFT display. Call up the >Settings< menu. Select >Reset all< and confirm.
Beyond that problems can be caused by the position of the smartphone. Bad positions would be the trouser pocket, a rucksack, top case or pannier, because here the tank or body shields the connection to the TFT display. So we could only ask you to place your smartphone as close as possible to the TFT (e.g. tank bag).
We think that the malfunction of the voice prompts you described is caused by the communication system of your helmet or by components which have not been paired in the right way. Please note that we can only ensure the whole functional range using a BMW Motorrad communication system. We do know that using communication systems of other manufacturers might cause limitations in the functional range (like you descibed). First we would ask you to upate your communication system to the latest software available (if possible). Second we would ask you to delete all pairings in your mobile phone, Connectivity and your communication system and to set up the pairing completely new (please note in this context that both your mobile phone and your communication system may only be paired with the Connectivity/TFT display. An additional direct pairing between helmet and mobile phone can cause problems/malfunctions).
Finally check the following:
1. The general setup at the >Settings< of your mobile phone. There is a item "Sounds and vibration" underneath four volume controls for media, notifications, system and ringtone. Check the volume of >notification< and increase it if necessary.
2. Put the volume of the communication system to the max (using the control buttons on the helmet)
3. Check whetzer the voice prompts are switched on and put the volume at the Connected App to the max (More (...) > Navigation settings > Voice prompts)
4. Try to toggle the voice instructions using the navigation menu in the Connectivity/TFT display (Navigation > Active navigation > Loudpseaker icon (toggle right))
My reply:

Hi Steffen,
Thanks for answering again.
We have discussed this previously, and I have already tried all of your suggestions. My phone is Android 8 and does not install updates. I will try a TFT/Connectivity reset before my next trip.
I have just come back from riding over 1500 miles around Scotland and the UK, and I have the following observations:
The maps from the App worked well in the main, only dropping out once or twice and normally resetting quickly. The phone and the vital power pack were in the left front compartment. However, a couple of times I got the App and phone connected and working when getting ready as suggested, then had to turn the bike off for a couple of minutes. The phone stayed on during this time, but the App would not open correctly to show the maps. The directions from Bluetooth were displayed but not the wifi maps. When I tried to reset, I got a wifi failure message. I had started riding, leading a group, so I could not stop and turn the bike off/on. The wifi and maps restarted after our next stop.
Overall, I was happy with the map performance but it interesting in how differently it recalculates a route as I was going along compared to my Garmin Zumo 660. I still do not have full faith in the App and will continue to use the sat nav (alongside the App), especially when leading others.
The voice instructions continue to be an issue. I can hear the sat nav instructions loud and clear all of the time, Bluetooth connection 2 on my Cardo with the TFT as connection one, but only hear the App voice very intermittently every few connections with or without the sat nav connected. I always test the voice connection using the loudspeaker icon before setting off and during the ride (just in case). I do not have the phone connected to the Cardo at all. When I do hear the instructions they are very quiet with ALL the volumes fully up. I do not think it is an issue with Cardo or I would never hear the instructions, it is obviously something to do with the App/TFT/Bluetooth. I know from all of the forums that many, many, people are having this issue using different comms devices. Like me, they are unwilling to risk using the App/TFT as their main navigation device which surely is not a good thing? I will not be buying a BMW comms system/helmet just to make the App work correctly.

Sorry this is so long but it may be of use?
Steve P

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I am feeling quite dizzy.

I have had a reply to my reply to BMW, that means I have had two emails from BMW in a day, that has to be a World Record,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Email sent to Markus. Thanks David.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT Racing Blue Sport, 2014 R1200RT Callisto Grey Matte sold 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono sold
29 Posts
Until things get figured out, I will use my dedicated to the bike iPhone phone to supply the TFT map and I will pair my Sena 20S to my regular iPhone (Not the bike). If I need voice directions or want to listen to music, read texts or take phone calls I can. My dealer said the 20S isn't even supposed to pair with the TFT

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dealer said the 20S isn't even supposed to pair with the TFT
You’re dealer is misinformed. Most current headsets will pair to both the bike’s rider and passenger connections.
This is new - previously, non-BMW headsets could only pair with the rider connection.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You’re dealer is misinformed. Most current headsets will pair to both the bike’s rider and passenger connections.
This is new - previously, non-BMW headsets could only pair with the rider connection.
Another part of this rollout by BMW, dealers were not even prepared for this new bike even with the extra time they had. I have had to tell my dealer just about everything so far as I have learned it to include their own BMW bulletins!

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
18 Posts
Well I have given up on BMW providing a quick solution to this dysfunctional design. I have gone the Zumo XT route and have completely bypassed the TFT system. I now have quick, seamless pairing from my phone to the XT to the SRL headset. Complete control of music, no having to pull the phone out to restart the music player, no power drain on the phone battery, etc, etc. An added and unexpected bonus is the significant improvement in the music quality with one less device required to provide music to the headset. Although I can stream from my phone to the XT, I mostly listen to mp3's stored on an SD card on the XT, so the bluetooth is direct from the GPS to the headset, as opposed to phone>TFT>headset.

I will say that I purchased this bike with no pre-conceived notion that the TFT would work as advertised, just as with the K1600 system that I had prior to the RT. So I am disappointed
20210610_150824.jpg
but not in the least bit surprised.

Steve

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
So who’s the boss then ? Markus or Jann ?

And hasn’t it just been passed to the same support team for Steffen to copy/paste his usual answer that we’ve all seen before ?
Markus is the Boss. Its the first time I have had a reply on the same day and not from the computer known as Steffen. I hope it does not fall into the same IN box the same as my previous complaint.

At least there is a video demonstrating the problem and that is not going to go away until the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Markus is the Boss. Its the first time I have had a reply on the same day and not from the computer known as Steffen.
Sounds promising - but you’d like to think they already know the issues from the extensive testing they have done !! Maybe they didn’t tell the boss.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
If I was a betting man, I would bet that this version worked for Bluetooth and had flaky WiFi I was one of the few who ran this version for about 6 weeks.

The bike was held back from others until this version was installed, I think this made the WiFi better but broke the Bluetooth and of course I got it when my bike was serviced.

If we assume the bike took four weeks to get to Northern Ireland from Germany (perhaps less) then during that time BMW had two fixes in the software. We use the same version numbering structure in our software development, the last bit i.e. 035 is the number of times the software was built or compiled. The middle digits (007) normally refer to major changes. The first two digits could relate to what version runs on what bike, e.g. R1250RT runs release 011, perhaps the GS runs 010 etc. In our case we increment this number each year in line with the current year e.g. we are using 21 at the minute.

I am pretty sure they know they screwed up, but now they have a commercial problem as well as a technical one.

Do they do a bike recall ? Probably not, since the issue is not life threatening and they are probably insured for that.

So how do they get the fix to every R1250RT in the world as cheaply as possible and keep face by not admitting there is a problem?

Apparently it takes four hours to upload the software to the bike so who is going to pay for that?

Forgetting of course the inconvenience to everyone who has to give up a day of their lives to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to mention the fact they have no means (website, email list, etc.) to inform customers of a new version (fixes) that is available.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
68 Posts
Email sent to Markus, including copies of the conversations that I have had with Steffen since March that are generally the same and have not solved anything.

Just noticed that my latest case number is 51059 - not bad considering that the bike has only been available since March:rolleyes:

Steve P

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 · (Edited)
Still feeling dizzy, I got another reply, that's three emails in two days and it looks like very good news:

I highlighted the bit below,

Ihre Anfrage (52228) wurde aktualisiert. Um zusätzliche Kommentare hinzuzufügen, antworten Sie auf diese E-Mail.

Your support request 52228 was updated. To add further comments please reply to this e-mail.

Jann Kirchhoff (BMW Motorrad Connected)
11.06.2021, 16:20 OESZ
Dear David,

I just came back from a session with our developers. We carefully analysed your video. Dev teams will now do some testing in order to reconstruct the issues you mentioned. Some of them are already known and cured in development.

I kindly ask you for your patience until mid of next week - I'm convinced that until then we can come back with some more information.

Thank you for your understanding. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Jann

261 - 280 of 284 Posts