BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anyone know of good point of contact within BMW to send a complaint to regarding the issues with connectivity with the TFT?

A good point of contact ?? Haha 😂 No !!

But you can report faults via an email initiated from the menu page of the app. Be prepared for either no answer or a very long wait for the answer.

After sales at your BMW dealer may be able to raise the issue with BMW Technical UK - especially if your BMW headset is not working as it should.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ah - I see how to get the 3.1.2 update. I already knew that, unlike all other apps that I use, the Motorrad Connected app does not appear in the App Store "updates" notification. I now see that you have to find it in the app store, ignore the "Open" button, which is present because you already have the app, click on the header as if you wanted to see what it was, and only then does the magic "Update" button appear 🤣 . Well, at least I can log in with my BMW ID now.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
So, I have spent a couple of very frustrating nights trying to get this thing to work, I have tried connecting the TFT to the Sena SRL as:

1. Phone 1
2. Phone 2
3 Sat Nav

I have tried my personal phone( S10) as a media device e.g. MP3 player or iPod with the bike phone set to telephone only. Everything works until I switch on the bike.
I blew a gasket the other night when I ran the battery flat on the bike and I had to put it on the BMW charger. At first the charger didn't even register the bike i.e. start to charge it, but after about 30 minutes it started to work.

I am the first person in Northern Ireland to get a 21 RT, I picked it up the Monday after the launch and I believe the TFT had the factory software installed, I know there was a story about delivery of the bike being delayed due to a software update, but I don't think that happened to me. I think that is why my bike and phone worked until the bike got its first service and the TFT update.

Anyway, if you have problems with connectivity this might help you. Can I suggest that if this video displays your problem and what I have done fixes things for you, that you email the video to BMW. It might help if we bomb them with proof of what is going on that they fix it sooner. I am 99% sure the issue is the TFT software and that involves a trip to a dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
David, Same thing here but to get it to work the first time I turn phone Bluetooth off and then back on instead of disconnecting. Then the same after almost every stop, on rare occasions after a stop it will work without the Bluetooth trick. Also when not working the contacts on the TFT never completes but says updating. I have sent all this to BMW to include why is their system the only one that takes way too long to connect to phone. What bothers me now is that every time the phone software updates BMW will have to update/fix their TFT software.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
David, Same thing here but to get it to work the first time I turn phone Bluetooth off and then back on instead of disconnecting.
I can see that working as well, it will all be down to timing to work out at what point re-start the Bluetooth connection e.g. after the helmet and phone has been connected, or, wait until the BMW App has started. A bit of trial and error will be required.

Regarding the phone as you know I have two, the bike phone has the maps are on the phone memory and on my personal phone the maps are saved to a SD card. There is a huge difference in speed when switching on the App and locating where I am. The bike phone is more or less instant, however, this makes little or no difference to the speed of maps being displayed on the TFT.

In my car, the Sat Nav loads when I switch on the ignition and then the car connects to my phone and starts to upload contacts. Its pretty normal to want to know where you are going before thinking you have to make a phone call.

With the BMW App its the other way round, Bluetooth to helmet, Bluetooth to phone, download contacts, Bluetooth to BMW App, locate position, then initialise wireless and start transmitting maps. I am pretty sure the person who thought that up has never ridden a motorcycle or perhaps never driven a car or perhaps are just plain stupid.

The App probably works OK, the big issue is the TFT and that normally only gets updated when the bike is due for service, but who wants to wait for 6,000 miles or a year before getting this fixed and if they fix this are they going to break something else? Who is going to pay for the dealer for the four hours it takes to update the software on the TFT and why does it take four hours?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah - I see how to get the 3.1.2 update. I already knew that, unlike all other apps that I use, the Motorrad Connected app does not appear in the App Store "updates" notification. I now see that you have to find it in the app store, ignore the "Open" button, which is present because you already have the app, click on the header as if you wanted to see what it was, and only then does the magic "Update" button appear 🤣 . Well, at least I can log in with my BMW ID now.....
Tried that but the only options I get are to uninstall or OPEN (which does open the App).
It says it was updated on 28 April - I have 3.1.1 installed.

David, Same thing here but to get it to work the first time I turn phone Bluetooth off and then back on instead of disconnecting. Then the same after almost every stop, on rare occasions after a stop it will work without the Bluetooth trick. Also when not working the contacts on the TFT never completes but says updating. I have sent all this to BMW to include why is their system the only one that takes way too long to connect to phone. What bothers me now is that every time the phone software updates BMW will have to update/fix their TFT software.
Same thing here. Route instructions (arrows etc) always load but not 'Mrs Woman'. Like you I can sometimes get it to work by going to Settings on my Android phone, deselecting the bike on bluetooth then re-selecting. However, if the App has opened and the maps loaded, this disconnects the App/maps and I then have to wait for them to re-load. What a faff!!

Steve P

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’m following the discussions as I’m considering going from my 13 to a 21. Looking it the issues surrounding the TFT, why on earth are BMW and others reinventing the wheel, why won’t they just use apple or android play. The interface is great, and most people love it. Seems like companies want their own proprietary software, and it most always sucks. Harley is the same way….just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think (not very good at that so I may well be wrong) that the problem with using Carplay or Android auto is that you need a constant internet connection. I don't even get a connection on my phone if I visit friends 3 miles away 😕 So it just wouldn't work as far as I am concerned.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tried that but the only options I get are to uninstall or OPEN (which does open the App).
It says it was updated on 28 April - I have 3.1.1 installed.
I hold down on the App Store icon, which brings up a mini menu - select updates (or open the App Store app and then click on your photo top right of the screen to bring up your account), drag the screen down to refresh and it should show all available updates for your phone - select individual or update all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe the TFT had the factory software installed, I know there was a story about delivery of the bike being delayed due to a software update, but I don't think that happened to me. I think that is why my bike and phone worked until the bike got its first service and the TFT update.
I’ve mentioned before that my dealer would not release any new 21 RT until the TFT had been updated to 011_007_035

Sorry to hear that after you have received the update, that you now have problems with the set up. I thought that the Android users had escaped the issues but your video is exactly the same experience that Apple users (or at least I) have encountered. BMW blamed our issues on Apples Bluetooth management and were supposedly working with Apple to resolve it. I started to believe their claim as although Bluetooth appeared to be connected to the bike, it didn’t seem to have connected properly/fully resulting in no sound from media and spoken instructions (which I have suggested before are combined in the same source and handled by the app) and failed phone book and call list updates.

Every cloud has a silver lining - the fact that after the update you are getting exactly the same result gives me some confidence that the problem is not with Apple per say, but with BMW and the TFT software. Which I think, as customers gives us a louder voice for BMW to sort the issues.

Many have said to turn Bluetooth off and back on to solve the voice and media issues - something I put on the forums weeks ago was that try making a phone call (providing you have a call list loaded). I just call a company which I know has a menu system, just to connect a call and then end it. I find that most of the time this restores the voice and media connection. The obvious advantage to this method is that you don’t need to access your phone as it can be done from the TFT controls and so can be done without stopping. Would be interested to know if this works for others and Android users ??

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
97 Posts
In regards to Carplay or Android Auto, don't they require touch screen to function? If yes, that would explain why BMW didn't go for that on the RT...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve mentioned before that my dealer would not release any new 21 RT until the TFT had been updated to 011_007_035

Sorry to hear that after you have received the update, that you now have problems with the set up. I thought that the Android users had escaped the issues but your video is exactly the same experience that Apple users (or at least I) have encountered. BMW blamed our issues on Apples Bluetooth management and were supposedly working with Apple to resolve it. I started to believe their claim as although Bluetooth appeared to be connected to the bike, it didn’t seem to have connected properly/fully resulting in no sound from media and spoken instructions (which I have suggested before are combined in the same source and handled by the app) and failed phone book and call list updates.

Every cloud has a silver lining - the fact that after the update you are getting exactly the same result gives me some confidence that the problem is not with Apple per say, but with BMW and the TFT software. Which I think, as customers gives us a louder voice for BMW to sort the issues.

Many have said to turn Bluetooth off and back on to solve the voice and media issues - something I put on the forums weeks ago was that try making a phone call (providing you have a call list loaded). I just call a company which I know has a menu system, just to connect a call and then end it. I find that most of the time this restores the voice and media connection. The obvious advantage to this method is that you don’t need to access your phone as it can be done from the TFT controls and so can be done without stopping. Would be interested to know if this works for others and Android users ??
Phone call works too but most of the time when not working the contacts are not loaded too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·

Bluetooth for phone connectivity always worked for me, so its solid.

Before the update I had map connectivity issues and fiddled with the phone settings, I was never really sure map connectivity worked, its seems better now after the update.

Blaming it on Apple is another "Treat them as mushrooms ploy" (keep them in the dark and feed them bullshit) .

There is a term, now what is it? Ah yes "Fit for purpose". I wonder if someone showed a judge that video or wheeled a bike into a courtroom and did a demonstration, what BMW would say about it.

Good idea, will test and let you know.

BTW I believe the person who designed the TFT has never ridden or a motorcycle or even driven a car, I think they go to work on a bus or train or push bike, perhaps they work from home and never get out. And to top it all they think backwards.

For example, on my S10 my contacts are in Forename/Surname order, I want them that way and I have a check box to set that. I think that way and accept that others think differently.

However, when the TFT displays my contacts they are in Surname/Forename order and I have no way to change this. The backward thinking designer has decided I must think their way. Full Stop.

So, if I am riding my motorcycle and lets say I want to ring the "Happy Dog Kennels" to tell them I am picking up my dog at 3 pm. I have to search for "Kennels" and then maybe "Dog".

I have "BMW Emergency Services for Breakdown" in my phone as exactly that, try working that out backwards at say 60MPH on a twisty road.

And where are my favourites? What is wrong with listing Favourites at the top of the list, the Backwards thinking designer is plain Lazy as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Yes, but it has that joystick like thing on the tank you can use to move around a cursor much like the BMW cars. Not the same as our "wonder-wheel" and toggle switch.
We are a software company and have been designing touch panel screens for 30 years now. You can do everything with the left/right wonder wheel and up/down menu switch. You just need a Select or Confirm button. It would have made sense to put that in the centre of the up/down menu switch.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
97 Posts
You just need a Select or Confirm button. It would have made sense to put that in the centre of the up/down menu switch.
So that is why then we cannot have Carplay/Android Auto, missing function/button...

By the way the iOS version of the Connected app has a new update: 3.1.3 Did not test yet, some say (no, not the tame racing driver) that it seems more stable. I have not tested it yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on version 3.1.3 - just updated but not yet tested.....I'm trying to keep my mileage down as they can't do the 600 mile service until 15th July 😢

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Just came across a photo of my original software version. I am probably one of the few people who got a chance to use this version. The latest one is below.

For proof that it worked, read the first comment on this thread, I have just read it again.

241 - 260 of 284 Posts