BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
361 - 380 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
process.

First of all, my kit is a Blue 21 RT and I have a Sena SRL with a RC3 remote on the handlebar and the bike has its own Samsung Galaxy S10. I also have a S10 as a personal phone. The bike phone also has a SIM courtesy of my Company (I am the MD of the Company so that is why it has a SIM).

I have zero connectivity issues with the phone and the TFT and more or less everything is settled on that front.
I have tried this in the past and it just caused conflicts between the devices and made the connection unstable. I now keep it simple - phone connected to TFT only and Sena connected to TFT as primary only. Downside is that you loose some of the features of the Sena (Siri, voice dial, using the Sena app for headset settings etc).

Your music issue could be as a result of such conflicts - your music is currently being pushed to both the TFT/Sena and also direct to the Sena - so the Sena will choose which music source to play (usually the primary channel) but if it does detect music on the secondary channel, it will want to swap to this and vice versa.

This is an extract from the SRL2 manual :

Note:
If you have two audio (A2DP) devices connected to your headset then the audio from one device will interrupt the audio from the other device. For example, if you are playing music from the primary mobile phone, then it can be interrupted by playing music from the secondary mobile phone and vice versa.
This makes sense. Thing is, I see the streaming music issue when I'm connected to bike only, no phone to Sena. Music stops between songs. I can hear the next song start, but the bike stops the music for some reason. Not sure why.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
57 Posts
I think I am seeing what others are seeing....when I first fire everything up I get no audio or media control. if I roll the wheel down to no volume and back up I will get audio, but still no media control. Disconnect and reconnect BT and I get audio and control. the interesting this is when everything is working the wheel will not control volume level, but will mute and unmute audio.

I saw mention of this in the thread, but I have no read all of yet so maybe this is already known lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This makes sense. Thing is, I see the streaming music issue when I'm connected to bike only, no phone to Sena. Music stops between songs. I can hear the next song start, but the bike stops the music for some reason. Not sure why.
Had chance to have a play about with this issue and it is the same for me too.

I haven’t got Amazon Music HD, just the prime version but it’s the same app. Connected up and started an album on Amazon Music (no audio to start with as usual until I made a phone call !!) If the iphone screen was off/locked or the connected ride app was running in map mode (so Amazon Music in the background) - music stopped after every track, exactly as you describe. Had to hit button 1 to get it to restart again. However, if the Amazon Music app was open in the foreground of the phone, it moved onto and played the next track as it should. Another thing I noticed, when in media view (button 3) holding the wheel to the left or the right does not rewind or fast forward the music as it should (works with Apple Music).

So I’m guessing some sort of setting that allows the app to function correctly in the background or there is some kind of interface problem between the TFT and the Amazon Music App - I would think the latter.

*** On the making a phone call to restart audio front - I found out by mistake that you don’t even need to let the phone call connect as I have suggested before. Just activate a call and immediately hit the end call and it worked for me to re-connect the audio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had chance to have a play about with this issue and it is the same for me too.

I haven’t got Amazon Music HD, just the prime version but it’s the same app. Connected up and started an album on Amazon Music (no audio to start with as usual until I made a phone call !!) If the iphone screen was off/locked or the connected ride app was running in map mode (so Amazon Music in the background) - music stopped after every track, exactly as you describe. Had to hit button 1 to get it to restart again. However, if the Amazon Music app was open in the foreground of the phone, it moved onto and played the next track as it should. Another thing I noticed, when in media view (button 3) holding the wheel to the left or the right does not rewind or fast forward the music as it should (works with Apple Music).

So I’m guessing some sort of setting that allows the app to function correctly in the background or there is some kind of interface problem between the TFT and the Amazon Music App - I would think the latter.

*** On the making a phone call to restart audio front - I found out by mistake that you don’t even need to let the phone call connect as I have suggested before. Just activate a call and immediately hit the end call and it worked for me to re-connect the audio.
Interesting. I confirmed this is the same with Youtube Music.

I have no music for Apple music so I can't easily test this, but I'm guessing there are no issues with Apple music?

Given this is a case of the TFT --> iPhone communication, not the BMW Motorrad app, I wonder where the best place to submit that bug/feedback to.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have no music for Apple music so I can't easily test this, but I'm guessing there are no issues with Apple music?
I don’t have any issues with Apple Music at all. Controls fine from the wonder wheel, album art, playlist/album/artist/all tracks listed, play/pause, skip, fast forward/reverse - no issues.

Another good feature with Apple Music - is the Tunein Radio app available to you ? If so, I’ve found that if you stream a couple of your favourite radio stations in the Tunein app, when you then go out on the bike you will find those radio stations listed under playlists/radio - so you can start off streaming a radio station from the wonder wheel too.

Personally, I would still report the fault via the connected ride app - its got to all be connected to the current TFT bugs or they may just confirm its not fully supported.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh and you don‘t have to start the music off in Apple Music when you connect to the bike or even have the Apple Music app open - it just becomes the default music player as soon as your phone connects to the bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh and you don‘t have to start the music off in Apple Music when you connect to the bike or even have the Apple Music app open - it just becomes the default music player as soon as your phone connects to the bike.
Good to know - I currently switch between Apple Music and SiriusXM on my K1600, which I’m hoping to sell soon.

So the BMW Motorcycle Home site only has 2022 RT models listed now, and the pricing has been bumped up for color options.

And I don’t know if it’s a hardware change for 2022 RTs, but the 4 buttons on the left panel are now programmable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I seem to remember they described them as programmable on the website for the 21 model !!
I looked when the 21 model was available, and nothing stated programmable. Also reviews on the 21 RT said they were fixed buttons. But maybe this is something that can be changed in the TFT firmware.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I looked when the 21 model was available, and nothing stated programmable
Yes, when the 21 model first appeared on the websites, they were described as ‘four programmable favourites buttons’. Obviously soon became apparent that they weren’t.

Yes, got to be something a TFT update would add - but lets just stick to the connectivity issues first before the dizzy heights of programmable buttons !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems Apple music works well.

Time to submit bug reports. To both BMW Motorrad app, as well as Amazon Music and Youtube Music.

With Youtube Music and Amazon music, Album art works, next song works. Playlists do not. More importantly, the TFT software stops playback between songs using those. Nice to know Apple music does not do that, as for most people who are less picky on music services, they can use that. I like Amazon music HD, so time to submit feedback and hopefully app updates fix it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seems Apple music works well.

Time to submit bug reports. To both BMW Motorrad app, as well as Amazon Music and Youtube Music.
BMW has always supported Apple over Android on their previous RTs and K1600s. Take for example the BMW iPod/iPhone adapter cable for those bikes. You could control songs, playlists and artists all through the wonder wheel, and the song info would be displayed.

Seems like BMW is still taking preference with Apple, hence being able to display the song info, album art and support for Apple Music - not so for Android.

·
Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Interesting. I confirmed this is the same with Youtube Music.

Given this is a case of the TFT --> iPhone communication, not the BMW Motorrad app, I wonder where the best place to submit that bug/feedback to.
One question about the YouTube Music. Are you listening to streamed music, or from MP3 files on the phone? I am planning to do the latter.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
30 Posts
BMW has always supported Apple over Android on their previous RTs and K1600s. Take for example the BMW iPod/iPhone adapter cable for those bikes. You could control songs, playlists and artists all through the wonder wheel, and the song info would be displayed.

Seems like BMW is still taking preference with Apple, hence being able to display the song info, album art and support for Apple Music - not so for Android.
Same with BMW cars. Our 2019 330i only came with Apple Car Play originally, but Android Auto was added later through a remote software update. We can only hope the same happens with the TFT.

361 - 380 of 395 Posts