BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
341 - 360 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was just thinking whether connecting to your bike might kickstart the traffic in the app. Whilst connected, if you go to the navigation screen on the TFT and zoom out a bit, you may see far enough around your location to catch any traffic issues.

The suggestion from BMW UK customer services is that iOS updates are blocking the functionality of the app which would include access to traffic functions.

I understand the feeling that its a waste of time reporting the fault as you get nothing back from them - its my biggest complaint about the situation at the moment. However, they have supposedly set up a new ‘task force’ working ‘tirelessly’ to resolve the issues, so the more faults reported, the more information they have to resolve the issues. Plus they get a feel for how many unhappy customers there are and they might throw some more money at it !! Just make sure you tell them that you have already checked that traffic is turned on in the app as thats the first delay tactic they come back with.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
152 Posts
Ok, it seems my system works. I can see the roadworks related red/white sections on the map (as mentioned in the other thread) and I do get red roads as well, I took it though as a major road because the length of it wasn't accurate in my experience of that roads in questions (way too long a stretch). For me, it seems to be stuck though, like when the last update is still on display from the day before...

·
Registered
155 Posts
This morning the app notified that there were map updates available - so I dutifully click on "update" - app gets to 3/70 and then just stops 😕. Presumably server problems somewhere?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This morning the app notified that there were map updates available - so I dutifully click on "update" - app gets to 3/70 and then just stops 😕. Presumably server problems somewhere?
Thanks for the info as I was wondering how that worked. My 11 maps updated just fine.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
152 Posts
Was the traffic displayed just on the TFT navigation screen or on both TFT and within the app ?
Sorry, by the time I read the other thread and the advice how it supposed to look like, I only had a chance to check on the app. Will check on the bike too when I get a chance. We are in the middle of winter here and an approaching cold front. So opportunities are somewhat limited.

Looking at the app again, the map update says not to turn off the app or lock the phone while the update is progressing. I turned off auto-screen-lock when I got the bike, helps with the updates as well.

I am convinced the traffic side is broken. If I turn off the traffic display, the road works disappear but what I thought was traffic still displays at 5.18 AM on a Sunday morning. I know for a fact there is no traffic out there to speak of this time of the day.

On this screenshot the redish/brown line in the middle is our North-South freeway, about 50 kilometres of it. There is no traffic on it right now, hence I thought in the past that it is the way Tom-tom marks freeways. The colour stops well before the freeway does though, so can only be traffic, unless their map data regarding road length is faulty. Comparing that to the Tom-tom maps MyRouteApp is using tells me that the colour is traffic indeed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for checking and thanks for the update.

Our motorways in the UK also show up on the map (in the iPhone app) as the same redish/brown colour as your freeways. So I don’t know what’s going on with the length of your freeway but the screenshot you have attached above is not showing traffic in your area - just a clear freeway. Traffic appears as a very obvious bright red or orange overlay on the map.

Think my conclusion is traffic is broken too ….

·
Registered
135 Posts
If anyone is interested to know - 2 months ago I asked connected ride how many phone book entries the TFT can handle - this was at the time I was experiencing the ‘updating’ phone book entries that never completed which we now know is part of the major connectivity issues. Anyway, the answer arrived today :

We checked the situation and can inform you that there is a limit of 2,000 contacts.

Kind Regards,

Steffen Kraft

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
I checked the number of waypoints the App can handle and its 50. In addition, if you send out more than 50 it does not split the route into two. So you manually have to split the route.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
25 Posts
I also tried your outgoing call method and it didn't work for me, but my attempt was only in the garage, and I would like to try it when things drop out while I'm travelling.

After connecting successfully in the garage for 5 days in a row, I finally managed out on a ride yesterday. Guess what no audio, so I tried the Rich_Blue fix of making an out going call, and it worked and the audio remained stable for the rest of the 50 mile trip. However the maps (wifi) crashed after 24 miles but reset after a short stop. Hopefully, the audio fix wasn't a fluke, but it will be my 'go to' fix in the future.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice to hear the outgoing call trick working on an Android too. I know it’s not how it should be, but at least it’s another option to fix the connection whilst on the move.

I’ve just returned from 460 miles over 2 days around Wales - Sat Nav actually worked fine without any freezes but on every start up, no audio - outgoing call fixed it every time.

I used a combination of routes imported from a mates connected app which was recorded using a GS and a couple of routes I planned on the app using waypoints and saved to the app. Both methods worked faultlessly - even the rerouting when I decided to take a detour and the skip waypoint option from the TFT. Either I am getting used to how it works and more excepting of its limitations or the connectivity has become more stable with the last app update.

(iPhone 10, iOS 14.6, App 3.1.3, Sena SRL2 & pillion Sena 50s both connected to TFT).

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
25 Posts
This month's Motorcycle Sport & Leisure (August edition) have done a ride report on the 2021 RT, which is part of their long term test fleet. They have highlighted the connection issues with the TFT and said they will take it up with BMW. Press coverage like this is bound to help the cause.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
57 Posts
Thanks to the hard work of @DavidMcK working out the kinks for us and @Rich_Blue21RTLE and others for helping me out my connectivity issues are straightened out. For the most part the maps connection has always been solid 99% of the time. I have never had it drop or freeze the maps while riding with a Galaxy S10, just a few times getting it going from the start has been an issue and I believe it was more my issue then the software/setup. However, the controlling of the media is problematic and lacking features on Android, but disconnecting and reconnecting the BT fixes that. I can live with those issues until it is patched. I'm hoping they come out with code that allows us some more customization of the screen real estate and connectivity tweaks and will update our bikes for free.

With my issues mostly gone I am now* experiencing the unpleasantness of massive notifications from text, apps, and Microsoft Teams (work chat app) that is making me consider a dedicated bike phone. Couple that with never forgetting to get my phone off of the bike is making sense. I have an old Galaxy S9 doing nothing and it supports wireless charging. I can do a prepaid SIM card for phone calls and data and only have the bare minimum on it to reduce distractions and save battery life. I can even explore switching over to a Google Voice number so both phones can receive in coming calls. There are options here,. but all in all I love the setup!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice to hear the outgoing call trick working on an Android too. I know it’s not how it should be, but at least it’s another option to fix the connection whilst on the move.

I’ve just returned from 460 miles over 2 days around Wales - Sat Nav actually worked fine without any freezes but on every start up, no audio - outgoing call fixed it every time.

I used a combination of routes imported from a mates connected app which was recorded using a GS and a couple of routes I planned on the app using waypoints and saved to the app. Both methods worked faultlessly - even the rerouting when I decided to take a detour and the skip waypoint option from the TFT. Either I am getting used to how it works and more excepting of its limitations or the connectivity has become more stable with the last app update.

(iPhone 10, iOS 14.6, App 3.1.3, Sena SRL2 & pillion Sena 50s both connected to TFT).
Just curious, did you try connecting phone to SRL2 as primary, with "second mobile phone pairing" for the bike?

I did this, and it keeps the voice dial button (for Siri or Google assistant) working via SRL2, yet you can use the bike's functions for everything.

Given your success, I wonder if my issue is somehow related to Amazon Music HD, as I'm seeing the bike pause between tracks, requiring a manual "unpause" action via the bike to resume playback.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious, did you try connecting phone to SRL2 as primary, with "second mobile phone pairing" for the bike?
I have tried this in the past and it just caused conflicts between the devices and made the connection unstable. I now keep it simple - phone connected to TFT only and Sena connected to TFT as primary only. Downside is that you loose some of the features of the Sena (Siri, voice dial, using the Sena app for headset settings etc).

Your music issue could be as a result of such conflicts - your music is currently being pushed to both the TFT/Sena and also direct to the Sena - so the Sena will choose which music source to play (usually the primary channel) but if it does detect music on the secondary channel, it will want to swap to this and vice versa.

This is an extract from the SRL2 manual :

Note:
If you have two audio (A2DP) devices connected to your headset then the audio from one device will interrupt the audio from the other device. For example, if you are playing music from the primary mobile phone, then it can be interrupted by playing music from the secondary mobile phone and vice versa.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts