BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are a couple of threads on the TFT but I thought it would be simpler to sum up things so far and outline my decision process.

First of all, my kit is a Blue 21 RT and I have a Sena SRL with a RC3 remote on the handlebar and the bike has its own Samsung Galaxy S10. I also have a S10 as a personal phone. The bike phone also has a SIM courtesy of my Company (I am the MD of the Company so that is why it has a SIM).

I have zero connectivity issues with the phone and the TFT and more or less everything is settled on that front.

So why did I decide to dedicate a phone to the Bike (these are not in a priority order).

1 If the bike and I parted company some day and the bike slid one way and I another, I decided it could be a long crawl to ring for help.

2. I like the idea of a backup phone.

On two separate occasions I have broken my phone when out on the bike, the first was on Lake Como, I washed my bike got water in my phone and that was that. We were heading home the following day but I was out of contact for three days.

The second occasion was when I had a faulty battery and it drained from 50% capacity to zero in minutes. I got a puncture and took my phone out to ring BMW and arrange for the bike to be collected (it was under warranty) and also tell my wife what had happened, my phone was dead. The only number I could remember was my sisters (how many telephone numbers can you recall?) so I went into a garage, they had a desk phone and I called my sister and asked her to tell my wife. The garage guys lent me a charger, that was before USB chargers so I was lucky, I got enough juice in my phone to ring BMW.

My bike phone is a mirror image of my personal phone except I have not activated all the Apps, they are on the phone I simply haven't used them, so nothing is running in the background to cause issues with the BMW App.

3. In the "Good ole days" I was used to paying up to £500 for a dedicated Sat Nav which navigated me to where I wanted to go and played music. I never used it to navigate apart from going to POI's if I wanted fuel or parking. I used Basecamp to plan a route and copied it to the Sat Nav. So, to me (and everyone has their own point of view) it made sense to think of the bike phone as my new Sat Nav and music player. I am pretty sure most people can get a second hand phone to their liking (that fits in the pocket) for a few hundred pounds.

4. I don't fancy the idea of putting my phone in the pocket and removing it when I stop and that is not because I am lazy, the phone pocket of the 21 RT has a catch to hold the phone in place, if you forget to activate that catch the phone will be loose in the pocket. If you hit a few bumpy bits of road you may be taking a vacuum cleaner to vacuum up what's left of your phone. So there is a good argument for leaving it secured in the pocket until you are finished for the day.

5. As far as I know no other bike has a dedicated pocket to hold a mobile phone, the 21 RT is the first. The pocket has no vibration damping and we wait to see how many phones are broken in due course. Bearing in mind the cost of a mobile phone, it makes sense to me to risk an old phone rather than the one I need.

6. To get the connectivity stabilised with the TFT I followed the instructions sent to me by BMW, this is the relevant paragraph.

Look at the settings on the website: Don’t kill my app!

Do I really want to set all these switches on my main phone, will it kill my battery?

As far as the bike phone is concerned, I don't mind switching these things off or on, the Apps are not activated and it sits on a charger, so no problems with this.

Hope this helps, now that I have got the thing sorted, I can relax and get back to enjoying the bike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks again David. I too have decided to have a dedicated "bike phone", in my case mainly because it would appear that any sleeve I can get for an iPhone makes it too thick to fit in the charging cubby - and without a sleeve the phone is devilishly slippery. It would only be a matter of time before I drop it putting it in or taking it out of the cubby.

Today's ride was the first time I have tried the nav system in anger. It seems to work OK, and the phone re-connected after I stopped for petrol, although only on Bluetooth for the first couple of hundred yards, then the wi-fi re-established itself.

My main issue is that I DO NOT like this stern male voice! - but I can't see how to change it to a nice female one :confused: Anybody know how? I've seen references to "the woman" so I'm guessing it must be possible?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again David. I too have decided to have a dedicated "bike phone", in my case mainly because it would appear that any sleeve I can get for an iPhone makes it too thick to fit in the charging cubby - and without a sleeve the phone is devilishly slippery. It would only be a matter of time before I drop it putting it in or taking it out of the cubby.

Today's ride was the first time I have tried the nav system in anger. It seems to work OK, and the phone re-connected after I stopped for petrol, although only on Bluetooth for the first couple of hundred yards, then the wi-fi re-established itself.

My main issue is that I DO NOT like this stern male voice! - but I can't see how to change it to a nice female one :confused: Anybody know how? I've seen references to "the woman" so I'm guessing it must be possible?
You got a man to shout at?

Wow, wonder if its language based, we have "The Woman" over here and I do not have a clue how to change things, perhaps BMW might know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think so. You must have a proper Man Phone. I am in Northern Ireland and our local maps are in Irish. Its the same using Tom Tom maps on MyRouteApp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also went the bike phone route (21 Blue RT without radio) due to my wife dropping her Pixel 4a 5G in the water and ruining the SIM card. Now the wifi and GPS still work, so it can provide my Nav (download routes at home when connected to wifi) and music (through my downloaded playlists on Pandora). Also the phone only fits with no phone case. Had to get a low profile right angle USB since the phone does not have wireless charging. But it all works so far. The big test is in a couple of weeks when I take my first 6 day trip into Eastern Oregon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well this is very odd. I have a Blue RT without radio and am using an iPhone SE as the map holder.

However, I've just noticed that Siri on this phone was set to use "Voice 2" - which is male. I'll try changing it to Voice 1 (female) and see if that changes on the Nav.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know there are a couple of threads on the TFT but I thought it would be simpler to sum up things so far and outline my decision process.

First of all, my kit is a Blue 21 RT and I have a Sena SRL with a RC3 remote on the handlebar and the bike has its own Samsung Galaxy S10. I also have a S10 as a personal phone. The bike phone also has a SIM courtesy of my Company (I am the MD of the Company so that is why it has a SIM).

I have zero connectivity issues with the phone and the TFT and more or less everything is settled on that front.

So why did I decide to dedicate a phone to the Bike (these are not in a priority order).

1 If the bike and I parted company some day and the bike slid one way and I another, I decided it could be a long crawl to ring for help.

2. I like the idea of a backup phone.

On two separate occasions I have broken my phone when out on the bike, the first was on Lake Como, I washed my bike got water in my phone and that was that. We were heading home the following day but I was out of contact for three days.

The second occasion was when I had a faulty battery and it drained from 50% capacity to zero in minutes. I got a puncture and took my phone out to ring BMW and arrange for the bike to be collected (it was under warranty) and also tell my wife what had happened, my phone was dead. The only number I could remember was my sisters (how many telephone numbers can you recall?) so I went into a garage, they had a desk phone and I called my sister and asked her to tell my wife. The garage guys lent me a charger, that was before USB chargers so I was lucky, I got enough juice in my phone to ring BMW.

My bike phone is a mirror image of my personal phone except I have not activated all the Apps, they are on the phone I simply haven't used them, so nothing is running in the background to cause issues with the BMW App.

3. In the "Good ole days" I was used to paying up to £500 for a dedicated Sat Nav which navigated me to where I wanted to go and played music. I never used it to navigate apart from going to POI's if I wanted fuel or parking. I used Basecamp to plan a route and copied it to the Sat Nav. So, to me (and everyone has their own point of view) it made sense to think of the bike phone as my new Sat Nav and music player. I am pretty sure most people can get a second hand phone to their liking (that fits in the pocket) for a few hundred pounds.

4. I don't fancy the idea of putting my phone in the pocket and removing it when I stop and that is not because I am lazy, the phone pocket of the 21 RT has a catch to hold the phone in place, if you forget to activate that catch the phone will be loose in the pocket. If you hit a few bumpy bits of road you may be taking a vacuum cleaner to vacuum up what's left of your phone. So there is a good argument for leaving it secured in the pocket until you are finished for the day.

5. As far as I know no other bike has a dedicated pocket to hold a mobile phone, the 21 RT is the first. The pocket has no vibration damping and we wait to see how many phones are broken in due course. Bearing in mind the cost of a mobile phone, it makes sense to me to risk an old phone rather than the one I need.

6. To get the connectivity stabilised with the TFT I followed the instructions sent to me by BMW, this is the relevant paragraph.

View attachment 173349
Look at the settings on the website: Don’t kill my app!

Do I really want to set all these switches on my main phone, will it kill my battery?

As far as the bike phone is concerned, I don't mind switching these things off or on, the Apps are not activated and it sits on a charger, so no problems with this.

Hope this helps, now that I have got the thing sorted, I can relax and get back to enjoying the bike
Yes I did th same thing, my old IPhone 8S is now my bike phone, fits in the charging bay fine, battery life away from th charger is not good so i switch it off when leaving the bike, it always connects to the TFT without issue. I have the SENA 50S, and my main phone (IPhone XR) connects to that and can listen to music /radio ‘Siri through it. I have no audio from the bike at all now

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is strange. What model iPhone do you have? My 11 fits in with room to spare in an Incipio clear case. From what I read, only the largest versions don't fit if the covers are left on.
The maximum thickness quoted by BMW is 8.8mm - as far as I can see all available sleeves for my iPhone 11 Pro take it above 10mm.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess it's the entry angle that's the problem with longer phones. I've taken a chance and ordered the thinnest case I can find for my SE. Too wet today to see if the Siri voice change has been effective....

·
Registered
412 Posts
David, as always love reading your comments and the knowledge you bring to the forum.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well the good news is that my iPhone SE in a sleeve fits in the cubby no problem.

The bad news is that changing Siri's voice hasn't made any difference - I still have the (to my ears) unpleasant male voice giving the directions....

I've emailed BMW to see if they can help.

1 - 20 of 474 Posts