BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
If you have so many waypoints why not use a track?

You can also convert a track to a guidance trip using the Garmin XT. Then continue to display the track while following the guidance trip. If the guidance trip does not follow the track exactly you will know right away due to both lines being displayed. If this happens, stick to the track and the guidance route can be recalculated to maintain the track line.

Map World Font Gps navigation device Electronic device

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
When importing GPX files, you have the option to use a track in addition to waypoints and route.

1- Can you show me (like I did with a photo or a screen shot) of how you convert the GPX track file to a navigable trip with the connected app?

2- Can you show me how you change the color of the "navigable trip" line to show up with different color on the display vs the track?

3- Assume you can show both the "track" and the "navigable trip" on the display at the same time like the Garmin product?

4- What happens if you follow the navigable trip and it takes you off the track?

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
@Fast1 - I don’t believe you can do items 1-3. For 4, I don’t know as I always use waypoints.

So I'm assuming you can load a GPX file that is a "track" with the Motorrad connected app?

What happens at that point with the navigation? Is there turn by turn or is there just a solid track line that one must visually follow (like the garmin XT)? Is so, what happens if one misses a turn and gets off the track?

Sorry but I haven't used the connected app much, mostly due to the map display and visual of the roads displayed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So I'm assuming you can load a GPX file that is a "track" with the Motorrad connected app?
Correct.

What happens at that point with the navigation? Is there turn by turn or is there just a solid track line that one must visually follow (like the garmin XT)? Is so, what happens if one misses a turn and gets off the track?
It gives you turn by turn directions. Not sure what happens if you go off track, as I just use waypoints.

A normal GPX file, when imported into the Connected app, gives you options to import Waypoints, Tracks and Routes. Not sure what the Routes option does, as I only use the Waypoint option for the routes I create.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
It gives you turn by turn directions. Not sure what happens if you go off track, as I just use waypoints.
So it automatically turns a "track" gpx file into turn by turn navigational route?

Do you know if it alters the original gpx "track" at all when automatically generating a turn by turn navigational route?

When it generates the turn by turn route is this done with the selected navigational setting you have checked to use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Connected App recalculates the route as soon as you deviate from the planned route. That is, most af the time, a point further in the route.
If you deviate on that corrected route again, you will get a new route. Until you are back on the original planned route.
The corrected route could also be that you are told to turn around or could contain a loop that causes you to turn and go back to the route.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
Here's a general guideline as to how the Nav acts if you go off your route:

1. If you are using "route" for guidance: going off the route will cause the Nav to try to get you back onto the nearest point on that route. If you have "strayed" so far off such that you are closer to the portion of the route that is far ahead, then that's where the Nav will lead you, until you are back on the subject route again.

2. If you are using "waypoint" - straying off the Nav directed route will cause it to get you back on track to that particular next waypoint. Here, the next waypoint that you are being guided to has the priority, and even if you have reached the waypoint after the one that is next on the list, the Nav will ignore the fact and keep trying to get you to the one that you are supposed to get to next. The only way around that is to tell the app to ignore the waypoint.

The above is based on a fairly extensive testing that I did, when I first got my RT. I like to test the limits of all of my "tools"!

BTW, what is the difference between "track" and "route"? The way that I understand it, "track" is the path that you have taken, while "route" is the path that you are planning to take. Correct?

Rambler358 - when did the 3rd option started? I haven't imported any GPX since July, and then the only options were route and waypoint.

·
Registered
88 Posts
BTW, what is the difference between "track" and "route"?

A track is a series of co ordinates. some gpx files will have both waypoints and a track in the file. If you open it in notepad or editplus you will see the data. A series of trackpoints looks like this, and define the line you follow:
<trkpt lat="52.815" lon="-3.36799"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81508" lon="-3.36822"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81511" lon="-3.36829"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81517" lon="-3.36848"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81525" lon="-3.36868"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81526" lon="-3.36873"></trkpt>
<trkpt lat="52.81535" lon="-3.36899"></trkpt>

a waypoint however looks like this and there are fewer of them:

<wpt lat="52.9512288" lon="-3.0473788">
<name>52.9512288,-3.0473788</name>
<desc>A5, Chirk, Wrexham LL14, UK</desc>
</wpt>

anyone trained in this please shout and put me right, this is just from hacking about.

Other "softpoints" or other makers have a different markup (thats the code like

Start of the waypoint data <wpt>
End of the waypoint data </wpt>

·
Registered
21 Posts
BTW, what is the difference between "track" and "route"? The way that I understand it, "track" is the path that you have taken, while "route" is the path that you are planning to take. Correct?
A track can contain many thousands of track points that make up the route. Tracks act like breadcrumb trails. Tracks contains no waypoints or points of interest.
A route contains up to 100 (more or less is also possible) location points (waypoints or points of interest) between which the route is formed.
Because a track has more points, the route is more reliable and you have less chance of differences between multiple users or navigators.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
With Garmin mapping and technology a "track" is either created in basecamp by you and/or from the exact recording of a ride that you have previously completed or that another has provided. In addition, one can convert a turn by turn route created in Basecamp to a "track" that doesn't have navigation prompts. You then load that "track" gpx to the garmin XT.

When a gpx track is loaded onto the ZUMO and displayed, there is no turn by turn navigation. One follows a solid colored line on the map. One can deviate from that line but the line will never be recalculated. One can use navigational actions to route to any point on the map (fuel station, new address, motel address or a point you just touch on the display) with turn by turn prompts, however the "track" will always remain unchanged on the map at the same time.

One can have the "track" displayed on the map in one color while using a turn by turn navigation route in another color, both being displayed at the same time.

If this forum allowed posting of self made "tracks" from Basecamp I could provide actual gpx files that would provide a better understanding and that could be loaded on your navigational unit.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
Because a track has more points, the route is more reliable and you have less chance of differences between multiple users or navigators.
This is false. The differences occur when users have different map sets, that may be out of date or not similar in accuracy. For example, the Tom/Tom maps may differ from the Garmin maps and that is where the differences will occur.

Turn by turn routing also has much more potential to have irregularities dependent on the map versions used and the type of navigation selected (fastest, shortest, winding road, etc) thus the reason most prefer "tracks" that are not recalculated when loaded or going off route (with Garmin products). It is more apparent when traveling on lesser known roads or dirt routes. This is the reason the extensive Back Country Discovery routes in the USA are provided as a "Track" not turn by turn navigational routes.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
Even with the same Navigators and the same map version, the route may differ due to personal settings on the device.
That is just what I posted above

Turn by turn routing also has much more potential to have irregularities dependent on the map versions used and the type of navigation selected (fastest, shortest, winding road, etc) thus the reason most prefer "tracks" that are not recalculated when loaded or going off route.

141 - 160 of 170 Posts