BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
A mate and I headed out for a 200 mile ride yesterday, this is how it went.

1. I planned it in MRA using the Open Street Map which allowed me to switch on curvy roads for sections of our ride (no one wants to do curvy roads through towns).
2. Using street view in MRA I could check out the roads
3. It worked out well, I found three new roads that we had not been on before and one of which we will not be on again until it is resurfaced, my backside is still sore from it.
4. After planning the route I automatically added 20 waypoints in MRA to make sure the Tom Tom maps would follow it, but as a double check I compared the Open Street route to the Tom Tom map using the compare tool in MRA. I did not have make any adjustments.
4. Routes were uploaded to bike phone using HD Boombox (route) export and everything came through as planned. Incidentally the imported routes also synced to my personal phone via my BMW account, I did not have to re-import them. Which means importing them to one phone automatically imports them to the other phone.
5. I had one issue with the TFT, I called my mate on the phone (I use Sena and he uses Cardo and we forgot to pair them). After that I lost audio for music and directions. Stopping the bike and waiting 30 seconds before a restart fixed it. The issue is with the TFT since I did not touch the phone. I also called him on two other occasions and all was well no loss of audio.
6. When I got home I switched off the bike phone and reviewed some of the trip on my personal phone which is a Galaxy Z fold 3. It folds out like a mini tablet and is excellent for looking at things.
7 The routes had done automatically synced to my personal phone from my BMW account.
8. I then washed the bike and when I switched on the bike to extend the screen, interestingly, the TFT connected into my personal phone, my personal phone is also paired to the TFT and I can swop between them using the wonder wheel.

So, as my bike phone was switched off the TFT went looking for another pairing and found my personal phone and swopped to it. It even switched the App on and loaded Maps. I double checked this by looking at the pairing on the TFT and it had picked up my Z fold phone.

BTW the only time I touched the bike phone on the ride was to swop to the going home route that I had planned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also use a Smartphone for the TFT screen. And I use MRA.
I read that you export the route as a Boombox file.
I myself have installed the MRA App on the phone.
From that app I can then open the route directly in the BMW Connected App. And that's pretty easy!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
@Tieflaar we are both doing the same thing apart from the download type, I use HD Boombox pre 2019 (route) its at the bottom of the list.

When it is exported to the BMW App you have two choices one shows Waypoints and the other Support points. Choose Waypoints and the route will import with your Waypoints. You can delete or add Waypoints to your route in the App.

Product Rectangle Azure Purple Font

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
8. I then washed the bike and when I switched on the bike to extend the screen, interestingly, the TFT connected into my personal phone, my personal phone is also paired to the TFT and I can swop between them using the wonder wheel.

BTW the only time I touched the bike phone on the ride was to swop to the going home route that I had planned.
I didn't know you can do that!!! Can you please explain further?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
@PadG

Pair your personal phone to the bike, you will now have a choice of two devices to connect to. You can select which one you want, normally mine is set to R1250RT phone, but for the connected App to continue to work it will want to connect to the bike from time to time when it does I just select my personal phone it from the list on the TFT using the wonder wheel.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
194 Posts
@PadG

Pair your personal phone to the bike, you will now have a choice of two devices to connect to. You can select which one you want, normally mine is set to R1250RT phone, but for the connected App to continue to work it will want to connect to the bike from time to time when it does I just select my personal phone it from the list on the TFT using the wonder wheel.
You can have multiple rider helmet comms and rider phones. You connect to one at a time and can only switch, however, when the bike isn't in motion.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
@PadG

Thanks. I knew that I could pair more than one phone to the RT, which I had done last year, but I didn't know that you can change the selection from within the TFT.

You probably know this already, but you can load the BMW Connect app into multiple devices, and if you login with the same account in any of the devices, you will have identical data in all of them. Now, I just need to see if the imported routes in one device will carry over as well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, as per the picture its as if you created the route in the App.

You can skip waypoints on the TFT if you miss one.

I have looked into this but I doubt whether this is a very suitable method for me because only a maximum of 50 route points can be used and the route in the phone is calculated based on those points and therefore can deviate from the route as I did have planned it in MRA.
But if we go into further detail here, we are deviating far from the subject of this post, I think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I have looked into this but I doubt whether this is a very suitable method for me because only a maximum of 50 route points can be used and the route in the phone is calculated based on those points and therefore can deviate from the route as I did have planned it in MRA.
But if we go into further detail here, we are deviating far from the subject of this post, I think.
If you use the Tom Tom map in MRA with perhaps a Here overlay, the route you plan should be the same on the App.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep Think so.
But 50 route points is not enough in most of my routes. And I rarely ride alone and my buddies all have Garmins. So the route we use should be as similar as possible. Because otherwise you'll get again the discussion between TomTom and Garmin adepts.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts