BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
Based on my research so far, it seems like a Pixel is the way for a reliable connection while using the BMW Connected App. So the next question is which model? I suspect something less than 6 inches tall so that it would fit in the dedicated compartment with Qi charging capability and…for longevity, a model that runs the latest Android OS. Given this criteria do you think a Pixel 5 is a good choice? I like the slightly smaller size on this phone as it would allow an easier USB connection during hot weather to help minimize overheating in the compartment (I assume a hard wire connection is more efficient that the conductive charging therefore generating less heat).
I had started out, on my '21 RT last May (2021) with the 4a-5G, but later had paired up my old original Pixel (1?), and they both had worked quite flawlessly. I had thought of using the old phone as dedicated phone for the RT, but it didn't have enough storage for the very large collection of MP3 music that I like to have available. I had just upgraded to Pixel 6a, but that still runs the same Android 12 (about to be updated to 13) as the 4a-5g that I had traded in. So, based on that, I'd say any models should work quite well. I have more than 12,000 miles on the bike now, and zero issues except for the 2 that were caused by BMW's alteration of the TFT software and app to solve problems for the other phones. Both problems were solved when I updated the TFT software on the RT to the latest available at the time.

Reactions: dpickens

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
194 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
I had started out, on my '21 RT last May (2021) with the 4a-5G, but later had paired up my old original Pixel (1?), and they both had worked quite flawlessly. I had thought of using the old phone as dedicated phone for the RT, but it didn't have enough storage for the very large collection of MP3 music that I like to have available. I had just upgraded to Pixel 6a, but that still runs the same Android 12 (about to be updated to 13) as the 4a-5g that I had traded in. So, based on that, I'd say any models should work quite well. I have more than 12,000 miles on the bike now, and zero issues except for the 2 that were caused by BMW's alteration of the TFT software and app to solve problems for the other phones. Both problems were solved when I updated the TFT software on the RT to the latest available at the time.
Thanks for your response it was very helpful. I am considering the Pixel 6a but really would like a model that supports Qi wireless. The Pixel 6 might be a little too long to fit in the phone compartment, not sure as its length (6.4 in) is the outer limit according to the BMW spec. The good news, based on your experience, is that any Pixel should work and therefore I can save some money by utilizing an older Pixel. I have been an iPhone user since the first model some 15+ years ago and don't know much about Android/Pixels so your input is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
Thanks for your response it was very helpful. I am considering the Pixel 6a but really would like a model that supports Qi wireless. The Pixel 6 might be a little too long to fit in the phone compartment, not sure as its length (6.4 in) is the outer limit according to the BMW spec. The good news, based on your experience, is that any Pixel should work and therefore I can save some money by utilizing an older Pixel. I have been an iPhone user since the first model some 15+ years ago and don't know much about Android/Pixels so your input is very much appreciated.
Question on your Pixel 6a. How well does it fit in the RT phone compartment, is there enough room to keep it plugged in for charging? I ran across a good deal on a 6a and given it doesn’t can Qi charging I was wondering how you keep yours charged while in use. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can charge it (a cable with a 90 angle helps) like this:
then the phone does not get so hot, and you can get an annoying noise with the Qi charging as it gets to 100%

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
If you can charge it (a cable with a 90 angle helps) like this:
then the phone does not get so hot, and you can get an annoying noise with the Qi charging as it gets to 100%
Thanks, this is the cable I ordered…they make one that’s 25 cm long which should work great.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
If I was going to have a dedicated "bike phone", I would have bought another older Pixel that has enough storage for my MP3. I got the 6a mainly because it was such a good deal from Google Shop, on the pre-order. $437 for the 6a, and I get $300 back for trading in my 4a-5G, PLUS a free Pixel wireless bud ($99). I would have stayed with my 4a-5G otherwise!

The 4a-5G doesn't have wireless charging either, but I had added an aftermarket gadget - basically a very thin circuit board package that is attached to the back of the phone and plugged into the USB-C connector. https://www.amazon.com/MyMAX-Super-...d_rd_i=B08GP8FTTH&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_17_i It works quite well.

If you ride in very hot weather a lot, you should be warned that the wireless charging will generate some heat inside the phone cubby, and that cubby is rather badly designed with respect to venting/cooling! You will be better off with wired connection to the USB port inside that cubby.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
Question on your Pixel 6a. How well does it fit in the RT phone compartment, is there enough room to keep it plugged in for charging? I ran across a good deal on a 6a and given it doesn’t can Qi charging I was wondering how you keep yours charged while in use. Thanks in advance.
Yes, there is plenty of room. Just get a short USB-C cable with a 90° connector. The 6a is about the same size as the 4a-5G, and I have been using the latter with the cable for a few weeks on the trip out west that I had just returned from, since I was in 100+ °F temperature for many days.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
Thanks again for all your advise. I did have some recent experiences with heat in the cubby a couple weeks ago, fan kept running and finally the charging shut down apparently due to the temperature in the cubby.

·
Premium Member
6,383 Posts
Reactions: carl124

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having just returned from a 1400 mile tour around France I have to say how impressed I was with the app compared to my earlier in the year jaunt.
The only difference in the system being the TFT update to the .15 version. I would say it worked flawlessly for 99% of the time. I had one freeze and one map drop out.
Unfortunately, as we all agree, the map detailing is dire, and the POI's are hardly worth having, but those issues aside I was quite happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did report past issues to BMW via the Connected App and they were helpful but as you stated everyones end use of a phone is very different and personal. In addition to the RT I also own a new GS with a TFT screen and use both a Nav VI and the Connected App Cradle with my iPhone 13 Pro on the GS. The more I use the Connected App the better I like it and might be retiring my Nav VI. The iPhone works perfectly on the cradle and/or when stored separately. Never dropped a connection and directions worked as they should.
My RT experience is improving but not as solid as that on the GS. I may have something wrong in my setup but frankly I’m getting tired of fussing with it and if the solution is to add a dedicated RT phone that’s fine with me. In discussing this with several forum members and in other research it sure seems like the RT connection is WIFI and IOS related and the Android uses have considerably fewer issues.
I have purchased a 2022 K1600GTL and I am trying to get the TFT and my phone to be as "automatic" as possible. This thread is the closest I have found that discusses the many issues that all of us seem to be having. I have purchased a second dedicated iPhone 12pro and stripped all of the apps off it to limit any interference that may occur. Ideally I would like to set the route up, put the phone into its cubby and forget about it until the ride is finished. That's where I am having trouble. It seems that you need the phone to be visible on start up so you can....... 1) get the app running and..... 2) "join the wifi on the bike. I did use shortcuts on the iphone to automate switching the connected app on BUT I still need to press RUN for it to get the app running. Kind of defeats the object of the automation. I cannot however find anything that will allow the wifi to connect without me pressing "join" when the prompt comes up on the screen. From what I am reading here it seems like I may need to purchase an Android phone to get this done. If you have any suggestions or a list of settings that may help, I would be most grateful. Your input on this subject so far has helped me tremendously.
Regards

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
I had the same experience as you. I hated to give up on the iPhone as I am a long time Apple user but after all the hassle in starting and stopping the Connected App on IOS I switched to an Android Pixel and things are working great. I just set the route and put it in the cubby and it starts and stops as it should. Once in awhile I may loose the WIFI connection (and therefore the map) but in reconnects itself in a minute or less…and that happens very seldom. So far I never lost the directions which apparently are transferred to the TFT via Bluetooth.
In hot weather the phone does not always stay charged 100% via Qi so it’s good to keep a charging cable handy as less heat is generated by the phone while plugged in via the USB connection.
I was also concerned about all the handling of my expensive iPhone 13 Pro in an out of the cubby and with connectivity issues from notifications as I have many home automation Apps and other notifications that I want left active…I think some of these notifications may have been causing connectivity issues, not really sure but a dedicated bike phone with limited Apps seems to solve that.
Some other members or the forum have stated that they had very good success using an iPhone but I couldn’t get it to work smoothly. Finally, having a spare phone on the bike while riding in remote ares (especially by yourself) gives additionally security in case one fails, gets lost, stolen or damaged. On my shared data plan there is no additional monthly cost for an additional line.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I was also concerned about all the handling of my expensive iPhone 13 Pro in an out of the cubby and with connectivity issues from notifications as I have many home automation Apps and other notifications that I want left active…I think some of these notifications may have been causing connectivity issues, not really sure but a dedicated bike phone with limited Apps seems to solve that.
Some other members or the forum have stated that they had very good success using an iPhone but I couldn’t get it to work smoothly. Finally, having a spare phone on the bike while riding in remote ares (especially by yourself) gives additionally security in case one fails, gets lost, stolen or damaged. On my shared data plan there is no additional monthly cost for an additional line.
My garage door opener sends an alert when it opens and closes and the alert was enough to bump the Connected app out of the foreground, dropping the maps connection. My iPhone requires manual intervention to put the Connected app back into the foreground. Once I configured notifications to be suppressed when the Connected app was in the foreground, the drops ended.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
662 Posts
I am another rider with a '21 bike that converted from a daily iPhone to and older (v. 9.x) Android phone. Stripped all apps but the Connected one and it runs pretty much perfect on the .050 TFT software. To avoid any issues relating heat and phones turning off because of, I use cable connection. Wireless charging generates more heat, so sticking with cable charge makes sense. The phone holds enough charge that you can leave it in the cubby all day and charge while riding.

As it has been mentioned in this thread or the big TFT thread, Android has no issues having a home wifi connection and the bike's wifi at once. You can just hotspot to your iPhone and don't even need a SIM for the dedicated Android phone for traffic update purposes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am another rider with a '21 bike that converted from a daily iPhone to and older (v. 9.x) Android phone. Stripped all apps but the Connected one and it runs pretty much perfect on the .050 TFT software. To avoid any issues relating heat and phones turning off because of, I use cable connection. Wireless charging generates more heat, so sticking with cable charge makes sense. The phone holds enough charge that you can leave it in the cubby all day and charge while riding.

As it has been mentioned in this thread or the big TFT thread, Android has no issues having a home wifi connection and the bike's wifi at once. You can just hotspot to your iPhone and don't even need a SIM for the dedicated Android phone for traffic update purposes.

Which Android phone did you end up getting, I might try this. I was able to get my iPhone set up to work and not drop wifi (maps), but only when using SiriusXM radio, when I switch to play music off phone it kicks me off wifi and I lose maps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you mean the Connected Cradle on that GS?

I looked into that, but for it to work as intended you need the Nav preparation (GPS cradle fitted and connected) plus the cradle to fit in lieu of the GPS and THEN your phone in the cradle that is now taking the place of the NAV VI unit. THAT setup is the bee's knees. Cannot be done though on the new RT because the integration is missing as far as I can tell.

I was considering this before I've gone down the dedicate Android phone option, just because I need to see some of the text messages when I am on call with work and out for a ride.

I can confirm that the Android Wifi works like David describes it in post #79 in this thread so my iPhone moved into a pouch on the top of an SW Motech tankbag with charging setup and my old Android 9 cheapie phone took on GPS duties in the convection cubby. Now I just need to sort out its wired charging and life will be good again.

One thing to add to the TFT/Android experience is that with the SIM-less dedicated Android phone that I am testing for the past 1000 kms or so, the entire experience was rock solid and I had probably 5 dropouts in that distance ridden, but the good bit is that it ALWAYS reconnected within a minute (the map display, that is) without fail. On .050 TFT firmware.
Which Android phone do you recommend? I am an iPhone user but thinking about Android just for bike, but don't want to spend a lot of $$ on an Android phone. But also want one that will have a good connection to the bike.

·
Registered
2022 BMW RT, 2022 BMW GS
26 Posts
Which Android phone do you recommend? I am an iPhone user but thinking about Android just for bike, but don't want to spend a lot of $$ on an Android phone. But also want one that will have a good connection to the bike.
I needed up using a Pixel 6 which I purchased used for a good price. I wanted a Google Android phone based on other members experience stating that the Pixel does not have any of the manufacturer installed overhead and/or extra software. I use the Pixel 6 on both a GS and a 2022 RT. It’s about the largest phone you can fit in the GS Connected Cradle and works perfectly on the GS. Nice sized screen and absolutely no drop outs or connectivity issues and strays charged all the time. On the RT it‘s a snug fit in the cubby and overall stays connected almost all the time. I still experience an occasional drop out (loss of map only - not directions) but the map reconnects within a minute or less. I have had some wireless charging issues in hot weather and although the phone can be charged with a wire more efficiently (less heat generated) it’s quite a hassle to plug the phone into the cubby due to its size. I also read so where that the the Pixel 6 runs on the warn side while charging as compared to other phones. If I was to purchase an Android for the RT only I’d suggest looking for a smaller size Pixel phone and wouldn’t necessarily care if had wireless charging.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can just hotspot to your iPhone and don't even need a SIM for the dedicated Android phone for traffic update purposes.
I’m totally with you re. using the android bike phone. Been using a Moto e6 with virtually zero connectivity issues for over a year now but your post above makes it sound like you have a simultaneous wifi connection to the TFT and your iPhone. Am I reading that correctly?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
662 Posts
Which Android phone did you end up getting
I didn't get it specifically for the bike, I had it from before I started using dual SIM iPhones, hence the old software version. It's a Umidigi F1. WTF you ask. There are a lot of Chinese phone makers out there producing for their own markets with rudimentary English versions in dual SIM format. Back then I was playing a lot with ROMs (the software the phones run) and this phone had some support on the mod forums as well as a very reasonable price (around $200 AU$) for the hardware. Was an added bonus that the manufacturer did not load any Chinese crap onto it. Surprise, I know.

Which Android phone do you recommend?
If you don't want to go down the China way, you could just get a cheap Samsung or some other branded phone at your local store. In Australia you can get smaller (physically) phones with not so stellar hardware for a $100 or so. You don't need bells and whistles just a decent GPS chipset and the base model memory amount to have room for the maps. If you listen to music while riding (I don't, the factory exhaust on the '21 bike is good enough for my "in-ride" entertainment) get a phone with a bit more memory or one that can take a microSD card with your songs.

don't want to spend a lot of $$ on an Android phone
Don't have to. Most shops around the world will push the latest top of the line phone in the most visible part of their display. Go past those to get to the reasonably priced ones. Down this way even supermarkets sell smart phones form $80.

your post above makes it sound like you have a simultaneous wifi connection to the TFT and your iPhone. Am I reading that correctly?
Yes, you are. I did not test it yet with hot spot, I did with home and bike wifi. Hotspot is just another wifi connection for the joining phone, so it should work. I can't take credit for this, @DavidMcK opened my eyes to this little pearl. I just finished my touring setup, comprising of a SW-Motech Citi Pro expandable tank bag, a Givi USB charging hub hard wired to the battery (3 USB ports and one 12 Volt jack in a housing hardly bigger then my thumb), an SW-Motech waterproof phone case on the top of the bag and a 90 degree lightning charging cable to run the iPhone, the above mentioned Android jobbie with its own 90 degree USB C cable in the phone cubby. We are 5 weeks away from a roughly 10K kilometre trip to do the BMW TS Safari in Tasmania, hence the above setup. Can do a thread with photos on this if there is interest.

101 - 120 of 170 Posts