BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its true, I have just returned from a nine day European trip to Switzerland. I covered 2,300 miles using sixteen routes, some pre-planned by the tour guide and some created by me.

I have a Sena SRL, a dedicated bike phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S10 and I use MyRouteApp for route planning. My TFT version is 12_007_40.

I had a few issues.

1. The map display dropped on a few occasions but almost immediately re-appeared.
2. On one particular day the TFT Nav display froze twice, I suspect this is a TFT issue since restarting the bike after refuelling sorted the problem.
3. On my trip from Geneva to Paris the phone shut down the BMW App three times due to overheating, the air temp was 40C (104F). This is not a TFT or App problem, its a BMW design issue, they did not design the pocket with sufficient cooling.

After the first shutdown, I restarted the phone, gave it a few minutes then put it back in the pocket. It shutdown shortly thereafter.
After the second shutdown, I tried again and put the phone in my tank bag, It shutdown shortly thereafter.
After the third shutdown, I put the phone in my handlebar bag with the zip door open and it was happy, so I have a solution if it happens again.

This was the route and some data from the bike.

Map World Line Font Atlas

The App successfully navigated me through Geneva to my hotel in the city centre and around Paris with numerous lane changes. The lane indicators worked fine and the App worked even in a 5 mile long tunnel when I had to select a road while underground, I was quite pleasantly surprised by its all round performance.

So, why did this work for me and others have so many problems?

This is my approach to the BMW App and TFT.

1. The idea that your personal phone can be used as a navigation device on a motorcycle is totally stupid. The person who thought this up needs tied to a lamppost and flogged,
2. However the idea that a navigation App and a music App can run on a SCD (Small Computerised Device) does have merit, after all that is what all navigation devices are, SCD's with a navigation App and perhaps a music App.
3. BMW should have put their App on a SCD and sold it as perhaps the TFT Nav and that would have been everything sorted, but instead they messed everything up.
4. My advice is to buy a SCD (dedicated phone), put the BMW App and a music App on it and dedicate it to the bike, after all that is what is done with all navigation devices.
5. When buying a new BMW with the TFT you will probably be selling your BMW NAV, that's good, with the money buy a phone that works with the TFT, I recommend an Android phone.
6. Android phones work better because they use WiFi direct to display maps. On an Android phone you only need to connect using Bluetooth the WiFi is automatic. An iPhone needs to connect to the TFT via a WiFi switch and that is problematic.
7. What about ITunes or Spotify or whatever ? Simple, connect to your Bike Nav phone the same way as you did with the BMW Nav's should that be as a second phone or download music or whatever.
8. Keep it all simple, if your bike phone has only two buttons on it, one is the BMW App and the other is a music App that is grand. You do not need a SIM card in it.

For Android users

1. Having a second bike phone is very good, you have a backup to your personal phone, put a SIM card in it and you can make and receive calls.
2. You can use your personal phone as a backup for your bike phone. You can run the BMW App on your personal phone, download all maps etc. and easily connect your personal phone to the bike if you have to.

Remember, keep it simple and it will work.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
I’m sorry but if the bike had a dedicated GPS those thre minor issues you had wouldn’t have even happened. If I upgrade to a 22 model there will be a dedicated GPS installed on it. I TOTALLY agree with your #1 point

Reactions: Fast1 and Bulitt

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
The problem I have has not been described in your post.

That is the map display is next to worthless if using to navigate true scenic and spectacular back roads due to the difficulty of visually seeing the roads (poor contrast or what ever you want to call it) vs a Garmin XT.

Plus the functionality of toggling around to accomplish mapping/nav tasks takes your eyes off the road for far too long when in the saddle. I don't want to be a hood ornament or sitting on a vehicles back bumper as a result.

I personally would never buy a dedicated cell phone, no need. My Apple SE (2nd gen) seems to work fine albeit somewhat slow to connect at times on -40 revision but always connects after each start up.

There are many other functional uses of the Garmin XT that are easy to access for navigational purposes that would be a nightmare with the amount of toggling using the BMW/TFT nav while in the saddle. This becomes more apparent if you navigate on the fly, change routes, explore different roads, require fuel, lodging for food ect.. Maybe if someone provides you a pre-planned route with no deviations to load you could just follow the line easy enough.

Maybe I've just become so familiarized with the XT prior to purchase of the RT that it has soured my opinion of the BMW system.

If I could bluetooth my map display from the Garmin XT to display exactly the same on the large BMW TFT I'd be extremely happy.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Plus the functionality of toggling around to accomplish mapping/nav tasks takes your eyes of the road for far too long when in the saddle. I don't want to be a hood ornament or sitting on a vehicles back bumper as a result.
The same can be said for doing the same on a Garmin GPS. IMO the BMW setup is safer allowing you to keep your hands on the bars.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The problem I have has not been described in your post.

That is the map display is next to worthless if using to navigate true scenic and spectacular back roads due to the difficulty of visually seeing the roads (poor contrast or what ever you want to call it) vs a Garmin XT.

Could you post a photo of the TFT to illustrate the problem? I ride mostly back roads and haven't had any problem seeing the roads on the display.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
It doesn’t matter what Garmin. And I quoted what you mentioned about performing mapping/nav tasks, and that the BMW setup is safer in that regard.
sure it matters which Garmin.. I've owned 4 different models and the displays, software and maps differ significantly.

Not much different than having a different version of software on the BMW TFT nav

Tell me how you find a motel to stay 180 miles out from arrival at a particular city with the BMW TFT nav that then provides you with a phone number you can call while riding?

Tell me how you can view the upcoming gas stations on the next 50 miles of your route?

Tell me how you can view all the restaurants on the next 50 miles of your route and then select and navigate to the one you like?

Tell me how you find the next rest stop during the next 100 miles of the route you are following?

Tell me how you find the closest Wells Fargo Bank?

Tell me how you find the nearest hospital from your current point and how you navigate to it while retaining your current route for use after?

Tell me the fuel prices of the gas stations within 20 miles of your current location?

·
Registered
555 Posts
sure it matters which Garmin.. I've owned 4 different models and the displays, software and maps differ significantly.
Please go back and read what I originally quoted you on. I’m saying the BMW setup is safer because you don’t need to take your hands off the bars while riding. With any other external GPS mounted you do. Comprende?

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
Please go back and read what I originally quoted you on. I’m saying the BMW setup is safer because you don’t need to take your hands off the bars while riding. With any other external GPS mounted you do. Comprende?
no I have my garmin XT located right next to the left hand switch gear.

Safety is determined by how long you have your hands on the nav controls and eyes on the TFT to execute a
simple command instead of looking down the road where you are going.

If it takes 15 seconds of switchgear action with your eyes focused at the TFT instead of the road in front of you to execute a scenario I asked vs 4 seconds for the same function on the Garmin XT.. which is safer? comprende?

Could you not provide answers to the navigation questions I asked? Where they to difficult for the BMW nav?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pre-plan my routes using MRA so I know the hotel that I am going to an the coffee stop along the way, generally speaking i don't wander from the route unless I am looking for fuel and if so I can use the TFT to find a fuel station, I am not bothered about prices etc. It is what it is.

I get it that others like to wander and that is fine, each to their own.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
From reading the hundreds of complaints about the new BMW system I don't think you can even compare it to the Garmin XT. It's a fabulous easy, quick, great picture dedicated navigation device that works in direct sunlight and does not rely on cell reception. There is just no comparison

Reactions: Fast1

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m sorry but if the bike had a dedicated GPS those thre minor issues you had wouldn’t have even happened. If I upgrade to a 22 model there will be a dedicated GPS installed on it. I TOTALLY agree with your #1 point
All devices can have issues. I remember sitting at the top of the Furka Pass trying to bring a Garmin Zumo back to life. From that point onwards I always carried a backup.

Now I have my main navigation system which is the bike phone as well as a full backup on my personal phone. You can easily switch between two phones on the TFT.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
405 Posts
All devices can have issues. I remember sitting at the top of the Furka Pass trying to bring a Garmin Zumo back to life. From that point onwards I always carried a backup.

Now I have my main navigation system which is the bike phone as well as a full backup on my personal phone. You can easily switch between two phones on the TFT.
Agreed.I had a Zumo 550 at one time and had a few problems but thats what carrying a cell phone is good for but on whole a cell phone is no match for a good GPS

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Does the extra phone have its own number, or can it have the same number as your primary phone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Doesn't need to have a SIM card even! That is, if you don't need to use "live" data, such as traffic info.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Look guys, the thing is only a tool! You need to understand that, and yeah it's not as good as any Garmin device, regardless of models, so why argue about it??? Personally, I agree with David that it's quite good enough for how we (David or myself) travel and use this tool! The TFT nav IS totally USELESS if you like to explore, as I always do on my local rides. I had stated, and complaint about the invisible roads right from the very beginning, BUT I learned to live with it. Bitching about it doesn't do ME any good, nor does it do any good for you guys arguing about it. I had kept my Nav V from my previous '15 RT, and I do have the car cradle, which mean that I can very easily install that in my '21 RT, BUT I haven't done so because the present set up is quite tolerable to ME.

Instead of bitching about it (except do so very loudly to BMW, so that they might hear us), take a look at this new generation of RT? What's good about it?? Personally, again, I place importance to the ride quality over fidly details, and this vastly improved generation of RT is far superior, for riding, than the earlier 1250 RTs that came before. There are no right or wrong, it's what's important to YOU that counts!

·
Registered
537 Posts
So that is interesting, why is the 21 RT far superior for riding than earlier 1250s. Its the same engine, same suspension, or are you talking about active cruise or the LED lights? Which are no longer being delivered due to supply issues. I ride previous 1250s and the new 1250s and can't tell the difference in performance, ride, only difference is, some have the TFTs older ones don't. Or has there been some magical updates and improvements I have missed.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
So that is interesting, why is the 21 RT far superior for riding than earlier 1250s. Its the same engine, same suspension, or are you talking about active cruise or the LED lights? Which are no longer being delivered due to supply issues. I ride previous 1250s and the new 1250s and can't tell the difference in performance, ride, only difference is, some have the TFTs older ones don't. Or has there been some magical updates and improvements I have missed.
I do like the ACC a lot, but that's not the feature that impresses me. With the new generation RT, BMW had done an excellent job of redesigning the complete front end of the fairing so that there are virtually no turbulence, even when you put the screen full down at highway speed! Remember that your 1250RT is identical to my previous '15 RT, except for the engine - I could never tolerate the wind noise when I lowered the screen fully down. With my '21 RT, the short Sport shield is perfect for the hot weather, and I had just completed about a 6,000 miles ride out west in temperatures up to 110 °F. More than 3,500 miles of that was on the boring, but very high speed Interstates highway. The short sport shield was perfect, which I would never have been able to tolerate on my previous wethead RT! FYI, the speed limit on Utah's Interstate highway is mostly 80 mph, and it's "usually" OK for us to exceed that by no more than 10 mph. Just a little higher than your 70 mph with speed camera check on your Motorway!

Reactions: Nil_Time and Fast1

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
189 Posts
I get it that others like to wander and that is fine, each to their own.
My questions above were prompted from the many trips I've taken and one recent 6000 mile ride where I was pre-planning every night with a 400 to 500 route I'd follow. This is an example, however this situation could occur due to significant weather issues, moto problems, medical or unknown road closures due to serious accidents. The ease of this type of navigation has been necessary in all my travels. I don't find it possible with the BMW nav system..

I was up in northern WA and had planned a route that took me over FS25 and the pass on the top of the east side of Mt. St. Helen. Everything was going fine for the first 225 miles until I found this situation 25 miles from the pass on FS25.

Water resources Ecoregion Map World Water

Plant Road surface Branch Natural landscape Wood

Wheel Tire Plant Plant community Automotive tire

Plant Wood Slope Road surface Trunk

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Plant Road surface Tree Natural landscape Asphalt

FS25 was closed at the pass with a locked gate.

Now I was forced to back track and re-route to the motel I had a reservation at.

This required another 200 miles of circumventing and navigating on the fly while still being able to find fuel
instead of going north to Hwy 12 and then on to Yakama. Much of this route is very remote.. saw maybe one or two vehicles going south till I reached Hood River. This re-route turned into a 575 mile day of primarily very remote roads.
How many more passes would I encounter on the re-route that were snowed over or closed due to winter avalanches and would I run out of fuel?

Turn your BMW nav on and see if you can find FS25 near the east side of Mt. St. Helen in Washington state. Is it even visible on the display.

Ecoregion Map World Line Parallel

1 - 20 of 170 Posts