BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Nice pair of Held gloves (scotty's with the short finger option, thin on the heated grips, padded on the backs and sides.) AND a good heated jacket liner which is thin and can fit under your stock riding gear. Makes all the difference.
Gordon Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner
Gordons is the original Gerbins. They are first class and back in business after selling the name. The current Girbings gear is made in china, Gordons is local in Washington State.
The single best thing I did for extending my riding season to all year here was a one piece Aerostitch suit.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Love my Warm-N-Safe gear. The Boss loves hers even more.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have a heated vest and of course hippo hands. I frequently ride in sub 30 degree temps and find the aforementioned items adequate for longish rides in the 20's.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
When I worked for a living I road my bike to work if it was 25 degrees or higher. +1 on the hippo hands & electric vest....& one piece Aerostitch suit :wave

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
I have heated gloves & socks & have rode 800 plus mile days with temps in the teens & single digits. My last layer of defense is my rain gear to keep the wind out .

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I salute you penguin riders!

When I was on GL there was a bunch of hardy-dudes that rode Alaska and Canada in the winter. You might still find pics of them with icicles dangling from their mustache, knobby tires in the front and car tire on the back (that's right, on a Goldwing) in order to handle the snow.

My idea of riding below 40 deg. is a football game and a TV...a hot drink.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
How quickly we are spoiled!

My minimum temp was my age but when I got over 40, that seemed like a good number. That was to leave the house at noon to my second shift job and sometimes I worked over until 2a so sometimes low 20's on the ride home. I won't leave in the rain, but I will ride home in it. I can ALWAYS make it home =-}

Took out the '79 R65 (only a bikini fairing) this past week at 60 degrees on a 40 mile ride. Had on a fleece jacket under a Gore-Tex riding coat, long johns under jeans, and Gore-Tex Summer Rain gloves. No heated grips or seat and no place to plug in a vest. Froze my a** off!

With the LT down for repairs (see "Hit a deer") I'm hoping the '91 RS (which I bought for the summer, but found the fairing too protective so I bought a '85 K100 Standard =-} ) will be better with a pretty good fairing, heated grips and a place to plug in the vest. Of course, living in the middle of The Great State of Alabama helps since we don't see freezing too many times a year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look like I have something to watch this weekend, especially since football is over.

The best cold weather tip I have is a to use a combination of saran wrap and hot hands. I used to be a hunting guide and it never fails a customer will show up without adequate clothing. The Hot Hands with the adhesive backing are the best. Peel and stick right on top of your kidneys, the theory is they will work like a radiator. Then wrap your core with plastic wrap and finish getting dressed.

I've only had to do this once on a ride, but I live in South Georgia it doesn't get cold too often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Gerbings jacket that works well (the actual riding jacket, not the liner). I like not having to remember to bring an extra layer with me.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Gerbings sold out to a company that is not the same stuff of old. His son now is running a shop with great stuff with the old quality.
https://gordonsheated.com/

Reactions: pkpr1998
1 - 14 of 14 Posts