BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I would start a new thread from "Just switched over"
After all the hick ups and figuring out where I went wrong, I finally got some good miles on it now.
1st initial shock, was the smoke on start up, which I learned is normal, older Goldwings do it too.

Engine runs smooth, kinda weird not hearing the usual "jap clunk" into 1st gear... just a smile on my face...
Little ride over to my neighbours house (yep, I'm English, I spelt it the correct way......) who's an avid HD rider, I roll up on his grass and said hi!
1st mistake, don't show your new ride to a neighbour and drive on his grass, yep, back wheel sank to the rim... arghhhhhhh!
Then ask neighbour to push me backwards as I spin the back wheel in reverse!!!

Ride back home spraying mud all over rotor, fender, exhaust, etc etc.........
Realized at this time how heavy this couch is...... but yet comfy, I need a slot on handlebars for the TV remote... lolol.

Anyway, all legal now, lic plate, insurance, taxes paid, bike running good, decided to ride 300 miles....

So, I'm used to a Kawasaki Concours 1400 which to say the least aint no slouch, and has no chicken strips, I ride it like a 1400, not a 250 and get awful gas mileage because, again, its a 1400 not a slowped that I can brag I get 12k out of the back tyre,,,,,, (average 3k) so, I actually bought the LT to calm my riding.....

K, back to the 300 mile ride, 1st off, very, very comfortable, smooth ride, and relaxed riding position.
The windshield is something to get used too, but does totally amazing in the rain (yes it rained on my parade..... lol) I got very little wet, the wind deflectors are great.
Getting fuel is weird, having to remove the cap and find a place where it wont roll off somewhere like a 10mm socket...
Brakes! did I mention brakes!! totally impressed. when that servo kicks in, wow! defiantly love the feel.
Curves...... I'm still kinda learning the feel, I can throw it around quite a bit, but, I didn't buy it to haul azz and go crazy...
Horn! scares the hell outa me, lol, very loud, I did blow it a few times and people walking down the sidewalk and wave at them, total guaranteed to make then wave back and pull a strange face stating "who the hell is that???) try it, its fun.....

Power, to be truthful, thought the pick up would have been better, but, only mild complaint, very smooth, I guess I'm used to the 1400.
Weight, holy crapola, this couch is heavy, in slow traffic, I feel I'm driving a Peterbilt, once I move upto speed the weight issue goes away.

6 CD changer... OH YES!! Got me some Scorpions, Def Lepard, Styx and Roxette loaded,, Music heaven, loved the 4 speakers, not figured out how to turn off the loudness/volume going lower as I slow down, but did find bass/treble/fade and move to next CD.

This titanic of a bike, doesn't like wind, crossing over the Mississippi river bridge in Louisiana nearly made me poop, OMG, the side wind completely awakened my motorcycle senses, I'm thinking how do I jump off this thing if it gets blown over, Ive seen those youtube videos where the wind blows over 18 wheelers, I'm thinking please don't blow me over the bridge wall....

Electric centrestand, the bees knees, LOVE IT, defiantly a crowd puller....

Overall, yup, its growing on me, I do like it, looking forward to May, taking a week to tour Arkansas...
Thanks for reading guys. gals.

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Nice story! I am still getting used to it myself, weather has prevented many miles BUT I feel ya on the slow maneuvering...last bike was an 1150RT, not tiny but much lighter and I had no issues easing along trying to stay upright until the last minute, lol...I have decided not to try that with this one, lol, find a point and stop and plant feet now with wheel straight. :) I can tell you with experience you do not want to try to keep it up if it gets past a certain point unless you are big and young, lol. Even if you manage it you will be writing checks for several days. What part of Louisiana?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Maybe not all years have this, but my 07 has a holder for the gas cap. I don’t think I have a picture, but there is a spear on the bottom of the cap that sticks into the hollow rubber holder under the fuel door. Quite handy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. What part of Louisiana?[/QUOTE]

Baton Rouge.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fender? In the Queen's English? :grin: (It's a MUDGUARD)!
I would confuse most if I went full English, lol, I nearly wrote pavement instead of sidewalk.....

Reactions: Scimitar

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
OK in the next side wind try putting one of the deflectors out and the other in (clear thingys under the mirrors). Makes a BIG difference. Matt pointed you to the gas cap holder. Always fill the bike on the side stand and don't stick the nozzle in very far at all or you will ding the fuel level sensor tube.

The bike comes alive over 4,000 RPM. Next time in the twisties just do 2nd gear and hit the curves at 50 MPH, use the throttle to control speed. Remember first gear is good to 62 MPH then you hit the rev limiter.

Sounds like you are much happier than you were a month ago.:)

Reactions: feelergaugephil
1 - 8 of 8 Posts