BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

Things like tires and opinions change over the years and I cant seem to find recent posts on this subject
I need a recommended tire pressure for the LT using Avon Storm 2 Ultras. I have not used radials before and older posts vary wildly on this subject. I am used to the Metz 48/42 for a cold pressure but cant find a consensus for the Avons. I am most likely just over the 200lb mark fully suited up and with my wife and I am sure we are nearing 400 with gear and her lip gloss. Would love to hear from Uncle Mark on the subject since he changes tires as often as I change pants, but welcome any and all suggestions!
There is a lot of (past) talk about "target pressure" but where do you start to get to it? I do not have any new fangled TPMS. My tires are going on today since my 1yr old metz's are showing cords.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is that rear tyre (tire) actually manufactured for the K1200LT ? This seems to be a departure from the strongly recommended bias ply REINFORCED rear tyre, so I am reluctant to offer any opinion until it can be confirmed that this tyre is specifically manufactured to withstand the weight of a fully laden LT. If that tyre fails prematurely or under duress, the passenger won't be worrying about lip gloss, I'll give you the tip !

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Avon Storms on my bike and like them,the rear is load rated 79v same as the ME880 Metzeler ,I found a recommendation of running 48psi but found that the rear felt a bit harsh and now run around 42psi,should I be running the higher pressure?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is what I've learned thru talking to the tire manufactures. Use the "10%" rule.
Start at 42 front and 42 rear, which is stamped on the Avons, go for a "normal" ride, enough to get the tires up to temp. When you stop, check the pressures immediately. You should have raised the pressures by 10%. If you are low % you have too much air, too high % too low. Add or lose a little and try again the next day. You would be surprised how much difference 1 or 2 lbs can make. Worked for me for the last 25 yrs. the first 15 I was just a baby biker still learning,and almost all brands of tires on different bikes.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
+1 on what Zeke says!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

So the "target" is 10% increase once the tires are warmed up, correct? That would put it up around 46.2 psi warm?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I shoot for a target pressure...

If I am in wet/cold conditions, my target is lower. Lower pressure creates a somewhat wider contact patch and makes the grooves in the tires expel water more efficiently. Lower pressures in a radial tire tends to create heat and you need that tire heat to help with grip. Remember that radials create and shed heat more quickly than Bias-ply

If I am in curvy/dry conditions, my target pressure is a bit higher.

So here's the target pressures I shoot for when I have Avon's running:

Wet / Cold conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 38f/43r Target: 44f/48r
Wet / Cold conditions (LOADED): Cold: 40f/44r Target: 46f/50r
REMEMBER: Get these tires as warm as possible before you try and drag your kneecaps.

Dry / Curvy conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 42f/46r Target: 47f/52r
Dry / Curvy conditions (LOADED): Cold: 44f/47r Target: 48f/54r
REMEMBER: To much pressure and excessive heat can destroy a tire, especially these radials.

These numbers will change when I go to a Bridgy and/or Metz...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Storm Ultra 2's on my bike and now have about 2,100 miles on them and have been running 42/48 cold since I got them. They hardly even look worn at all. I weigh about 240 and I know that with my wife I'm close to a total of 400 lbs of riders.

With the rear at that pressure I do notice a little harshness in feedback from the road. I may try lowering that pressure to 46 to see how that feels.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

14wntr said:
So the "target" is 10% increase once the tires are warmed up, correct? That would put it up around 46.2 psi warm?

You are correct. Just remember to do your regular rides nothing out of the norm. It takes a little while, but it all works out.If you have big extremes in temp where you live you will have to recheck at that temp. But it may change only a lb a little. In Fl. I just leave it at 42 and 44 rear.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UncleMark said:
I shoot for a target pressure...

If I am in wet/cold conditions, my target is lower. Lower pressure creates a somewhat wider contact patch and makes the grooves in the tires expel water more efficiently. Lower pressures in a radial tire tends to create heat and you need that tire heat to help with grip. Remember that radials create and shed heat more quickly than Bias-ply

If I am in curvy/dry conditions, my target pressure is a bit higher.

So here's the target pressures I shoot for when I have Avon's running:

Wet / Cold conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 38f/43r Target: 44f/48r
Wet / Cold conditions (LOADED): Cold: 40f/44r Target: 46f/50r
REMEMBER: Get these tires as warm as possible before you try and drag your kneecaps.

Dry / Curvy conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 42f/46r Target: 47f/52r
Dry / Curvy conditions (LOADED): Cold: 44f/47r Target: 48f/54r
REMEMBER: To much pressure and excessive heat can destroy a tire, especially these radials.

These numbers will change when I go to a Bridgy and/or Metz...
What about in the superslab condition, any different? Living in Illinois with only 3 known curves a lot of time is spent on a highway getting to the corners.

·
Registered
860 Posts
14wntr said:
What about in the superslab condition, any different? Living in Illinois with only 3 known curves a lot of time is spent on a highway getting to the corners.
Good question....

Loooong stretches??? Use Metzlers... IMHO, these are the shoes I put on when I am heading out on long lazy stretches and not pushing hard into corners. In November, when I head for the Formula One race in Austin, TX, I'll have a set on. That El Paso to God's Country run is not too twisty... or colorful???

If you have long D's to get to the corners, then Bridgy makes a good all around Bias-ply. Not as grippy in wet and they do tend to get harder to pushover into a turn when worn. But they have been good to me for over 7 sets.

Here on the left coast, I got twisties right out the front door... and altitudes still white with snow (and resultant run-off)... It's Avon's for me right now.

If you can find a guy local that changes M/C tires, have a dual mode set. One for the long slabs and one for the wet and twisty. When I ride a lot, I change my tires at least three times a year. Each set requires an adjustment in cold pressure for the tire and the ride. Somewhere in this mess is an old post about pressure targets I try and reach on each type of tire... at work now or I'd try and find my doc's as to my current target settings for each tire type. <sigh>

Ride safe....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts